Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My starter seems to be broken and I need help

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Used starters for these cars are practically free.

If you are willing to change it yourself, a cheap used starter is a great option. My county has two different guys that work on electric motors & rebuild starters.

If my original starter failed, I would consider a used starter. I would have a local guy rebuild my original starter & have it ready to go when the used one failed in the future. As long as the used starters are cheap, I would surely consider that route. Otherwise, I would just have my local guys rebuild my original one.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've replaced several starters in my (relatively short) life as well. Looking at 'replacing starter' videos before buying a new car will be added to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Used starters for these cars are practically free.

Wow, I may buy a used spare just to keep it as a backup. Thanks for sharing!

Many years ago I had a local alternator/starter/motor repair shop rebuild a CA18DET (engine from the 90s JDM Nissan Silvia 1.8L I4 Turbo) starter for me. As you'd imagine, a JDM starter replacement was not going to be easily found at the local parts store. They replaced the worn bits and even spray painted silver. I never had any issues with it and it worked great.

I wouldn't hesitate to have my Mirage starter or alternator rebuilt by them again if they're still in business.