Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My starter seems to be broken and I need help

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

My starter seems to be broken and I need help

I have a 2017 Mitsubishi mirage hatchback.

I've never had a problem with the starter grinding, failing to work, or sounding weird until this morning when my car wouldn't start.

The only thing that happens is that there is a really low humming sound coming from under the car, I assume from the starter.

I believe my battery is good, headlights don't dim when trying to start the car.

What's the best way to proceed from here and can I access the starter from the top by removing the battery? If not where is it, I can't see it. And in general, does it sound like a starter or solenoid problem?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelpImpoor View Post
    I have a 2017 Mitsubishi mirage hatchback.

I've never had a problem with the starter grinding, failing to work, or sounding weird until this morning when my car wouldn't start.

The only thing that happens is that there is a really low humming sound coming from under the car, I assume from the starter.

I believe my battery is good, headlights don't dim when trying to start the car.

What's the best way to proceed from here and can I access the starter from the top by removing the battery? If not where is it, I can't see it. And in general, does it sound like a starter or solenoid problem?
    I'd put on some jumper cables & see what happens if you jump start it. If it still doesn't start, then you can rule out the battery. If it does start, I would buy a new battery right away.

Starter need more juice than lights & other items.

What Mark said. Try to boost it first using some decent cables with clean clamps, not speaker wire or hay wire. The batteries can be good one day and bad the next.
    It could just as well be the starter as well. Can't say without being there. There was a problem with some 2017's with some relays in the under hood fuse box. A total shot in the dark would be to switch a couple relays around with the starter one and give it a go.

The starter is under the front of the car just below the oil filter. There's a little skid plate held on with 2 or 3 10mm bolts. Then just 2 12mm or 14mm bolts hold the starter in place. It's easier if you jack up the front end or drive up on ramps.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    What Mark said. Try to boost it first using some decent cables with clean clamps, not speaker wire or hay wire. The batteries can be good one day and bad the next.
    I've seen batteries die a quick death in a variety of things (ATVs, riding lawnmowers, vehicles, etc....). Starters may not die so quick, unless it is fuse thing.

The fact you are hearing some humming makes me suspect the battery doesn't have enough "oomph" to get the starter going, but I could be wrong. It's where I would start (rich or poor)!

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    If the starter won't work, and the headlights don't dim when trying to start, then the starter is not drawing current from the battery. Has nothing to do with the battery.

How it works for understanding:
    The starter has one thick cable going to the battery, the cable bringing the actual electric current to the starter.
    It also has a second, thin wire for the solenoid. When voltage is applied to that solenoid cable, the solenoid inside the starter pulls the driving cog forward to mesh with the teeth of the flywheel. At the same time the solenoid closes the switch between that thick wire coming from the battery, applying voltage/current to the input of the electric starter motor, and the starter will operate. That switch is actually inside the solenid. The solenoid is the little cylindrical part on the starter where the cables go to.

If the car has AS&G the starter will become used a lot more.
    The contacts of the solenoid switch could become used-up, likewise the the carbon brushes of the starter motor may fail from frequent use.
    I would take a closer look! It is very likely the starter can be repaired. The actual electric motor fails very seldom.
    Usually a dealer will not bother to repair it and often they don't even know how, but will quickly replace parts because they make big $$$$ on their markup selling parts.

What could you do? I would remove the thin solenoid cable first. Then briefly connect the contact on the starter where the thin solenoid wire went to, with plus 12V from the battery. The starter should work then. Be careful not to make a short circuit between those wires and the chassis.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    If the starter won't work, and the headlights don't dim when trying to start, then the starter is not drawing current from the battery. Has nothing to do with the battery.

How it works for understanding:
    The starter has one thick cable going to the battery, the cable bringing the actual electric current to the starter.
    It also has a second, thin wire for the solenoid. When voltage is applied to that solenoid cable, the solenoid inside the starter pulls the driving cog forward to mesh with the teeth of the flywheel. At the same time the solenoid closes the switch between that thick wire coming from the battery, applying voltage/current to the input of the electric starter motor, and the starter will operate. That switch is actually inside the solenid. The solenoid is the little cylindrical part on the starter where the cables go to.

If the car has AS&G the starter will become used a lot more.
    The contacts of the solenoid switch could become used-up, likewise the the carbon brushes of the starter motor may fail from frequent use.
    I would take a closer look! It is very likely the starter can be repaired. The actual electric motor fails very seldom.
    Usually a dealer will not bother to repair it and often they don't even know how, but will quickly replace parts because they make big $$$$ on their markup selling parts.

What could you do? I would remove the thin solenoid cable first. Then briefly connect the contact on the starter where the thin solenoid wire went to, with plus 12V from the battery. The starter should work then. Be careful not to make a short circuit between those wires and the chassis.
    None of our Mirages has AS&G (thankfully). 90% of the time, it's been a dead battery for me. Seldom a starter issue. Not saying it's either one, but trying to jump start the car is still the best place to start. One would feel stupid replacing a starter only to find out the battery is dead.

Mirage needs a kick start feature. I've driven ATVs with dead batteries for a year or more thanks to a kick starter. Maybe an old fashioned hand crank as back up would be good, too.

It could be something as simple as a door left slightly open & some dome light drained the battery, too. My friend did that with her Camry recently. Lights worked, but wouldn't start. In her case, we knew what she did & put a charger on it. Been fine ever since.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (08-24-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I've seen batteries die a quick death in a variety of things (ATVs, riding lawnmowers, vehicles, etc....). Starters may not die so quick, unless it is fuse thing.

The fact you are hearing some humming makes me suspect the battery doesn't have enough "oomph" to get the starter going, but I could be wrong. It's where I would start (rich or poor)!
    Agreed, the KISS principle applies here. There's no sense talking about features that don't exist on this continent and the internal workings of a part that probably isn't the problem. But who doesn't enjoy over analyzing(anal didn't get big brothered???) and over complicating things

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Update: I caved and brought it to the stealership. It is the starter. Thanks everyone for the help!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HelpImpoor For This Useful Post:

Eggman (08-25-2021),Top_Fuel (08-25-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HelpImpoor View Post
    Update: I caved and brought it to the stealership. It is the starter. Thanks everyone for the help!
    If a new starter fixes the problem, all is good!

If they offer to replace your starter & battery at the same time, that would be a red flag to me.

I assume jump starting your Mirage didn't work or help?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If a new starter fixes the problem, all is good!

If they offer to replace your starter & battery at the same time, that would be a red flag to me.

I assume jump starting your Mirage didn't work or help?
    It didn't. I also switched a couple of relays and that didn't work either. Power was definitely getting to the starter. I guess I lost the starter lottery.