Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil consumption ?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,762 Times in 2,086 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    You obviously haven't watched his test of various full synthetic oils, which only proves what? I will be polite here & not say.

I am a retired science teacher. I respect honest testing done on various products. His tests were extremely well done. I appreciate everything you share on this forum, but you may want to learn how to reciprocate respectful responses to others. That's your choice, however. Live your life as you must.
    Nothing brings out our best quite like a good old oil thread. It's as reliable as the sunrise.

Please share the clip where he poured the bacon grease in a motor. I would love to watch that one!

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post

Last edited by Eggman; 02-13-2024 at 09:02 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Grumpy Bear (02-11-2024),mohammad (02-12-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,658 Times in 2,085 Posts
    Thanks for sharing that! I must have missed that one!

Most anything can be tested in the name of science.
    Last edited by Mark; 02-11-2024 at 08:03 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Grumpy Bear (02-11-2024)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Method matters. Range of test matter. Which test matters. Because conformity of results matter. Some of his stuff is useful. Some of it junk science.

Try South West Research Institute and Lake Speed Jr. There are several. I'll give you a couple to sample. Big difference between SwRI and the Project Farm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsQYqTM93Nk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AJ_DO5zfVE
    Last edited by Grumpy Bear; 02-11-2024 at 09:06 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpy Bear For This Useful Post:

Mark (02-12-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpy Bear For This Useful Post:

Mark (02-12-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bear View Post
    Method matters. Range of test matter. Which test matters. Because conformity of results matter. Some of his stuff is useful. Some of it junk science.

Try South West Research Institute and Lake Speed Jr. There are several. I'll give you a couple to sample. Big difference between SwRI and the Project Farm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsQYqTM93Nk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AJ_DO5zfVE
    I've watched some of these. Some of his stuff is pretty good. Some it's a bit useless in my opinion.

I personally preferred the Project Farm guy literally testing oils against each other. Thanks for sharing just the same.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've watched some of these. Some of his stuff is pretty good. Some it's a bit useless in my opinion.

I personally preferred the Project Farm guy literally testing oils against each other. Thanks for sharing just the same.
    You do realize that Lake Speed Jr is a real Tribologist, and his videos show the results of his labs ASTM TEST or those of SwRi (Southwest Research Institute) who he works with, and SPEED Diagnostics is Lake's lab. Lake formulates and test oils in his REAL ASTM ISO certified lab. And Project Farm is a guy in a barn. Right?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,346 Times in 976 Posts
    Speaking of oil consumption. This weekend I hauled some serious booty / warp speed, up to yankee land. Chattanooga, TN. Well, just right on the border of GA. / TN. Anything north of Macon, GA is yankee land. It was supposed to be the Macon - Dixie line originally.

Anywho - I did 4,000 rpm / 78 mph (gps, 80 on the speedo) for a little over 2 hours straight. That's hauling booty in my book. While up there I got to thinking, maybe I orta check the earl level. I did an earl and filter change not too long back, and (possibly) filled it a touch over the full line.

So I checked it. It remains probably 10% above the full line. Meaning, if you consider the space between the lower line and the upper line, it's probably about 10% of that space, above the full line. So, it consumed very close to 0 oil. And runs like a top. Good power, and smooth. So far, so good. But getting worried I'm about to start breaking some warrs.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.3 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You do realize that Lake Speed Jr is a real Tribologist, and his videos show the results of his labs ASTM TEST or those of SwRi (Southwest Research Institute) who he works with, and SPEED Diagnostics is Lake's lab. Lake formulates and test oils in his REAL ASTM ISO certified lab. And Project Farm is a guy in a barn. Right?
    Sure do! Doesn't change a thing in my mind. I like how Project Farm tests some products. If you don't find value in that, so be it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sure do! Doesn't change a thing in my mind. I like how Project Farm tests some products. If you don't find value in that, so be it.
    Yea, I totally get that. If my wife needed a brain tumor removed and there was a great surgeon in Chicago who I had access to I'd go straight for my junior high lab partner because I like the way he used to dissect frogs. You should have seen the way he handled a razor blade. But yea, I see your point.
    Last edited by Grumpy Bear; 02-13-2024 at 05:08 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yea, I totally get that. If my wife needed a brain tumor removed and there was a great surgeon in Chicago who I had access to I'd go straight for my junior high lab partner because I like the way he used to dissect frogs. You should have seen the way he handled a razor blade. But yea, I see your point.
    Having been a middle school science for over 3 decades & having dissected a couple thousand frogs with 7th graders, I would recommend sticking with the great surgeon in Chicago.

Those who could do a good earthworm dissection, however, do have potential.

Just for the record, I am not arguing your points. They are well taken. I find value in how Project Farm tests some products. For example, I run chainsaws quite often. His tests on various chainsaw chains & sharpening tools are very well done. Likewise, his test of car batteries is very well done. Lets face it only a few companies make the majority of car batteries (just slap on a different sticker sometimes).

I find value in this information. I find value in what you share, too. I just want to make that very clear. If I have been disrespectful to you in any way, I apologize. That is never my intent in this forum.