Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scion/Yaris iA vs 21 Mirage 5MT

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Mirage parts specifically...and Mitsubishi parts in general...are more expensive and take longer to get than the same parts for a Honda or Toyota. Why? Who knows. But "BMW expensive"? Not really, and I have owned BMWs.

That said, these cars don't break very often anyway, and if you are buying new you will have many, many years of warranty coverage.

Mirages with manual transmissions are more or less indestructible unless you wail on them.
    If I thought the Mirage was going to be an "endless money pit", I would have never bought one. I plan on driving my 2017 Mirage for 10-15 years (& maybe more). I have zero concerns about part costs. Aftermarket parts exist for the Mirage. Unless they are doing warranty/recall work, a dealership would never touch my Mirage.

Here is a Mirage story of one that had 414,000 miles on it before the dealer bought it back from the original owners and sold them a new one. This Mirage had wheel bearings done around 150,000 miles and a starter replaced somewhere between 200,000-300,000 miles. Outside of general maintenance that's about it. I would assume brake work was done, but it wasn't mentioned. Here's the story (& several different automotive sources also covered it) -

https://media.mitsubishicars.com/en-...ready-for-more

Fummins takes care of a fleet of Mirages, and he is not doing expensive repairs on them. His input on this forum assured me these are dependable cars before a dealership delivered a new one to my home from 4 hours away for free.

Compare some basic aftermarket part costs (using rockauto.com as a comparison) -

2020 Toyota Yaris
    wheel bearing/hub = $100.79 Centric brand/1 other part choice in stock - no wheel bearings alone offered
    front disc brake pads = $14.81 - $32.89/ 22 different choices in stock
    A/C compressor = $385.99 Four Seasons (only choice in stock)
    Radiator = $80.79 - $118.79/2 choices in-stock
    starter = $74.79-167.79 (4 in-stock to pick from)

2020 Mitsubishi Mirage
    wheel bearing = $21.99 Quality Built (front)/$33.79 NSK (rear)
    front disc brake pads = $13.28 - $28.79/19 different choices in stock
    A/C compressor = $382.79 Four Seasons (only choice in stock)
    Radiator = $63.79 - $91.79/4 choices in-stock
    starter = $152.79 (after $34 exchange credit)/3 other choices are currently out-of-stock

I see nothing here that's alarming. Keep in mind the Mitsubishi Mirage is still be sold in the North America & has a much better warranty. The Toyota Yaris has been dropped from our market.

The Mitsubishi Mirage hasn't changed much since its introduction here. The 2017+ Mirages especially haven't changed much at all. Even the current 2021 update isn't much more than new front/rear bumpers slapped on the car. As far as parts go, that's a good thing in my mind.

I paid less than 66% window sticker for a brand Mirage in 2017. ES manuals were selling for $9000-9,500 (@ White Bear Mitsubishi) at the time. If I had qualified any of the other $500 rebates (loyalty, VIP, or military) @ the time, I would have paid less! I don't consider my Mirage to be an "endless money pit" BMW!

If I could have bought a brand new manual 4-door Yaris hatchback for under $10,000 OTD at the time, I would have consider them, too! Same goes for the 130 hp Honda Fit.

At a discounted price, the Mirage is an affordable/reliable/economical car that no one can compete with in my opinion. The Mirage will not "wow" anyone during a test drive, but its simple 3-cylinder engine sort of grows on you over time. I really like the 5-speed manual powertrain of these cars! I wish they offered a small wagon version with the same powertrain, but my Mirage compliments my older 2011 Forester very nicely (saving unnecessary wear & tear/mileage on it).

Last edited by Mark; 08-29-2021 at 05:55 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The Mirage will not "wow" anyone during a test drive, but its simple 3-cylinder engine sort of grows on you over time. I really like the 5-speed manual powertrain of these cars!
    All good points. The 3A92 makes decent power for such small displacement, without any super- or turbo-charger, and with one less cylinder than so many other typical engines out there. And no timing belt - it uses a chain.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If I thought the Mirage was going to be an "endless money pit", I would have never bought one. I plan on driving my 2017 Mirage for 10-15 years (& maybe more). I have zero concerns about part costs. Aftermarket parts exist for the Mirage. Unless they are doing warranty/recall work, a dealership would never touch my Mirage.

Here is a Mirage story of one that had 414,000 miles on it before the dealer bought it back from the original owners and sold them a new one. This Mirage had wheel bearings done around 150,000 miles and a starter replaced somewhere between 200,000-300,000 miles. Outside of general maintenance that's about it. I would assume brake work was done, but it wasn't mentioned. Here's the story (& several different automotive sources also covered it) -

https://media.mitsubishicars.com/en-...ready-for-more

Fummins takes care of a fleet of Mirages, and he is not doing expensive repairs on them. His input on this forum assured me these are dependable cars before a dealership delivered a new one to my home from 4 hours away for free.

Compare some basic aftermarket part costs (using rockauto.com as a comparison) -

2020 Toyota Yaris
    wheel bearing/hub = $100.79 Centric brand/1 other part choice in stock - no wheel bearings alone offered
    front disc brake pads = $14.81 - $32.89/ 22 different choices in stock
    A/C compressor = $385.99 Four Seasons (only choice in stock)
    Radiator = $80.79 - $118.79/2 choices in-stock
    starter = $74.79-167.79 (4 in-stock to pick from)

2020 Mitsubishi Mirage
    wheel bearing = $21.99 Quality Built (front)/$33.79 NSK (rear)
    front disc brake pads = $13.28 - $28.79/19 different choices in stock
    A/C compressor = $382.79 Four Seasons (only choice in stock)
    Radiator = $63.79 - $91.79/4 choices in-stock
    starter = $152.79 (after $34 exchange credit)/3 other choices are currently out-of-stock

I see nothing here that's alarming. Keep in mind the Mitsubishi Mirage is still be sold in the North America & has a much better warranty. The Toyota Yaris has been dropped from our market.

The Mitsubishi Mirage hasn't changed much since its introduction here. The 2017+ Mirages especially haven't changed much at all. Even the current 2021 update isn't much more than new front/rear bumpers slapped on the car. As far as parts go, that's a good thing in my mind.

I paid less than 66% window sticker for a brand Mirage in 2017. ES manuals were selling for $9000-9,500 (@ White Bear Mitsubishi) at the time. If I had qualified any of the other $500 rebates (loyalty, VIP, or military) @ the time, I would have paid less! I don't consider my Mirage to be an "endless money pit" BMW!

If I could have bought a brand new manual 4-door Yaris hatchback for under $10,000 OTD at the time, I would have consider them, too! Same goes for the 130 hp Honda Fit.

At a discounted price, the Mirage is an affordable/reliable/economical car that no one can compete with in my opinion. The Mirage will not "wow" anyone during a test drive, but its simple 3-cylinder engine sort of grows on you over time. I really like the 5-speed manual powertrain of these cars! I wish they offered a small wagon version with the same powertrain, but my Mirage compliments my older 2011 Forester very nicely (saving unnecessary wear & tear/mileage on it).
    That's a great comparison between parts and cars but here's your average Joe Schmoe dilemma, most shops won't order from Rock Auto in my experience. They order thru NAPA/Autozone/O'Reilys and the aftermarket selection is sparse with those distributors. If your not a DIYer like the majority of Mirage owners, your mechanic bill could be shocking. My two drums is a perfect example. Neither NAPA nor Autozone had correct fits, even though they claimed they did. The shop ended up having to pay almost $500 for 2 OEM drums which if they hadn't of honored their original quote of $330 IIRC, I would of been paying over $700 for parts and labor not even including the front brake pads. That's all I'm saying.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    That's a great comparison between parts and cars but here's your average Joe Schmoe dilemma, most shops won't order from Rock Auto in my experience. They order thru NAPA/Autozone/O'Reilys and the aftermarket selection is sparse with those distributors. If your not a DIYer like the majority of Mirage owners, your mechanic bill could be shocking. My two drums is a perfect example. Neither NAPA nor Autozone had correct fits, even though they claimed they did. The shop ended up having to pay almost $500 for 2 OEM drums which if they hadn't of honored their original quote of $330 IIRC, I would of been paying over $700 for parts and labor not even including the front brake pads. That's all I'm saying.
    I realize you had issues with your brakes, but the fact remains that aftermarket parts do exist. They are not priced all that differently than any other car.

I only used rockauto.com for the comparison, because you can easily look up multiple vehicles at the same time on the same page. It makes comparing different vehicles very easy to do. I am not suggesting parts need to be bought there.

No car should be condemned because of brakes, because aftermarket options exist. I wouldn't buy OEM brakes for any vehicle I own. I do get your point, however. Your mechanic has issues with the aftermarket rear drums & brake shoes for your Mirage. I'm sure that's happened for other vehicles at times.

The Mirage does have some quirks. The TPMS is one of them, because accessing ETACs isn't as easy as other vehicles. I have 8 wheels for my Mirage, & I got around that by cloning the extra set of wheels to the factory set. I can change 4 wheels on my Mirage, & the car itself doesn't even know it happened. I would clone an extra set of wheels for any vehicle I own, & I did that with my Subaru Forester snow tires. The TPMS is nothing special on either of my vehicles, but cloning works.

I find the Mirage relatively easy to work on, and I am sure my local mechanic would feel the same about it.

I will say this, however, my local Mitsubishi dealership has a bad reputation. They were so bad the Wisconsin Department of Motor Vehicle shut them down for a couple months in 2020. I am not sure how that all played out in the end, but I believe the owner's were forced to sell the dealership to another party. I'm not convinced the new owners are much better.

At the same time, the same nearby city has two Toyota dealerships that have been around for decades & have an excellent reputation. One of them started selling cars in 1908. The first car they sold was an Apperson Jackrabbit. I've never even heard of them. My point is they have been selling cars for a long time, and they have been a devoted Toyota dealership for a very long time.

Outside of White Bear Mitsubishi in Minnesota, I have not been impressed with Mitsubishi dealerships. I know there are other good ones, but I am not aware of one in Wisconsin. That does bother me some, but I seldom use dealerships for anything. If my Mirage needed a lot of warranty work done, I would sell it & buy something else. I don't expect to have that problem.

I would not compare a Mirage to a BMW. It's sad that BMW has developed such a bad reputation.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Mirage radiator
    Name:  Screenshot_20210829-185515_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  84.4 KB

BMW radiator for its cheapest sedan I believe.
    Name:  Screenshot_20210829-185350_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  90.8 KB

I hear you completely Mark. I'm just dumbfounded by these prices. For an economy car none the less.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Eggman (08-30-2021),Mark (08-30-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Mirage radiator

I hear you completely Mark. I'm just dumbfounded by these prices. For an economy car none the less.
    That's why you don't go to dealers for service (outside of warranty), and you buy a $65 aftermarket radiator instead.

I really like my Mirage, but I am not impressed by Mitsubishi as a company. Your example is a good reason, too!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (08-30-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    You can always order the model/trim/colour/etc car you want.

In Europe, and increasingly in Canada, you order the exact car you want. That's what I did in 2014, I ordered my specific Mirage, I just had to wait like 3-4 weeks for it to arrive.
    I'll have to disagree with this. You can't order a base model Mirage in Canada in any color you want. You get two choices. You can't order a 5 speed Mirage with heated seats or Cruise. They come in one trim level now(in Canada). You also can't order one with out Ac.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sad to see MT slowly being stripped off or phased out. I predict 2023 or 2024 Mirage will be without the MT option

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I'll have to disagree with this. You can't order a base model Mirage in Canada in any color you want. You get two choices. You can't order a 5 speed Mirage with heated seats or Cruise. They come in one trim level now(in Canada). You also can't order one with out Ac.

I mean a lot of car companies are going to the "made-to-order" model, instead of building a million F-150s and then plopping them on dealer's lots. These days more and more, you go to the dealer, order what you want, and then come back later and pick up your MTO F-150.

But I think the dealers lots near me are half-empty right now because of the chip shortage thing. But I think the model for buying a car is changing, you will see more MTO (made to order) in the future. Might as well, I always thought it's silly to buy a new car, but not really pick anything out that you want, when you're choosing from what's on the lot.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Make sense. Too bad heater seats function, push start button on door handle and ignition and turn indicator lights are not available to build on the ES 5MT . FarPoint guy got lucky it was built like that and I'm envious.