Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scion/Yaris iA vs 21 Mirage 5MT

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Given the comments I see from forum members, I think Mitsubishi would be better off offering two trim levels (base trim & top trim), but also offer the manual/CVT option for both trim levels (ES manual, ES CVT, SE manual, SE CVT).
    If they would do that I'd go buy a new one tomorrow.

-Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Alright guys, I have done alot of thinking today and ultimately have decided to go for the Mirage.

Because the one thing I have never done in my life is to purchase a brand new car (which is what I always visioned myself to acquire) plus with the used car market being overly inflated, I rather not spend too much $ with no warranty and with little to unknown history. It hard to find a single owner clean title low mileage car for 30% less than the MSRP price of $15-16k nowadays. Heck, just recently I discovered that the iA has a GDI engine that prone to build carbon over time. Not a big deal breaker but then supposedly the recommended interval for cleaned valve is at least 20k miles but what are the odds the owner will have it serviced esp with high mileage? I doubt it that too expensive but then I also don't want to acquire someone else's problem. Quality condition used car get bought sooner than the alllowed time for mechanical inspection. Also, there are lots of iA everywhere with High mileage for few $k off of MSRP from few years ago which is already a no-no deal for me. If iA still around in brand new condition I would go with it but I'm already 1 year late since it went discontinued.

The Mirage on the other hands is already available and affordable in many ways and their warranty is a big plus.

Below is my wish list in no particular order:

Stick shift: ✅
    Apple CarPlay/Android Auto: ✅
    Bluetooth: ✅
    Blue/red/color choice: ✅
    40+ MPG: ✅
    No hybrid: ✅ (I don’t want Prius characteristics)
    Maintenance and ownership cost: ✅
    Reliability: ✅
    Small form factor: ✅
    Forum contribution with ongoing participants: ✅(iA forum is barely alive BTW)

The biggest sacrifice I’ll have to live with us the trunk space which I cannot put a double stroller for my two little children. And no telescopic steering wheels and no navigation. Contrary to the iA on those sacrifices but then again the car condition is used. Don’t want any headache in terms of time, deal, and communication.

Mirage wins. Case closed. Thank you guys for your inputs!

(Next step for me is to figure out the best time to score a deal. I wonder when. Labor day? I don't have a gameplan yet. I'll be around here learning and asking questions as well)
    Last edited by defensivetackle88; 08-26-2021 at 01:58 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The Mirage G4 has a decently large trunk. Maybe your stroller will fit in that?
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    The Mirage G4 has a decently large trunk. Maybe your stroller will fit in that?
    I'm certain the stroller will fit however the G4 is very ugly. The styling is outdated as the Nissan Versa and any other sedan from 2000's. The Hatchback version is what I and my wife really like.

At least the skinny stroller can fit into the hatchback no problem. Just not double's.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by defensivetackle88 View Post
    The biggest sacrifice I’ll have to live with us the trunk space which I cannot put a double stroller for my two little children. And no telescopic steering wheels and no navigation. Contrary to the iA on those sacrifices but then again the car condition is used. Don’t want any headache in terms of time, deal, and communication.
    Holy Cow! I didn't realize UNTIL THIS POST, that my Mirage doesn't have navigation! I hadn't even missed it. I use my phone and Waze all the time and never even thought about not having it.

DT88 - You'll be fine without navigation. And from what I've heard, Android Auto "ain't no big deal." I'm an android user (so far). Don't care to know anything about fruity phones. Suffice it to say, Apple Car Play / Android Auto, I think you'll be fine without. I do like a built in Navi, but I've gone nearly and year and not thought about it, you'll be fine there too. I BT my phone to the car audio, run waze and/or google maps, and it's as good or better than a built in navi.

If you keep the back seat sitting upright, then yeah, you may not get that double stroller in, not certain on that one. And yeah, the G4 has a big trunk, I'm betting it would fit in there.

I'm the same size as you, and I don't need a telescopic wheel at all. If I want the steering wheel closer, I pull the towel bar on the seat and scooch closer. But actually, I find the seat, body position, and all the touch points very well placed. Better than my 2004 Corolla was. And I loved driving that car too.

I'm envious of you if you get the yeller car. That yeller is nice looking. I saw a maybe 30 year old black lady in a new yeller one a few months back. I honked and waved, and she gave me that, "what?" kind of look. Maybe she noticed I was in a Mirage after I passed by. She looked right smart driving that car. I'm not a yellow car person, but the yellow on the Mirage is really great. I like my blue one too. My blue one does this. Mirage's are serious tow rigs... (5 speed with 5 people in the car too!)

Name:  Rescue Rig.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  98.0 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,031 Posts
    I'm certain the stroller will fit however the G4 is very ugly. The styling is outdated as the Nissan Versa and any other sedan from 2000's.
    I must have dain brammage. I think the G4 and Versa and extremely sharp!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I must have dain brammage. I think the G4 and Versa and extremely sharp!
    Me too and the G4 has more space for child seats too I bet.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    One thing you need to be aware of OP with our Mirages, insane part prices and a sparse aftermarket selection. You won't have those issues with the Yaris iA. Your Mirage should be plenty reliable and having to replace things besides the usual brake pads/brake shoes etc. should be few and far between but just know when its repair time, your going to be paying BMW prices for parts and labor. Hopefully you can bypass all that and just do it yourself though.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    …insane part prices and a sparse aftermarket selection. You won't have those issues with the Yaris iA…just know when its repair time (for the Mirage), your going to be paying BMW prices for parts and labor. Hopefully you can bypass all that and just do it yourself though.
    Interesting. As far as the Yaris iA goes, some (if not most) parts are interchangeable with Toyota unless I’m completely wrong? It’s based off the Mazda’s platform. I have seen them go high as 200,000 miles. I’m convinced they’re reliable or else Toyota’s image on reliability would have had faltered. Mazda and Toyota temporary partnership was a good thing for consumers after all.

Now in the subject of Mirage in need of repair and service NOT covered under warranty, how could you be so sure that the parts and labor are similarly expensive BMW’s? I thought parts are cheaply built and made but durability too.

When I think of BMW price, I thought twice or thrice more than what Honda and Toyota would charge for, no? Like Scotty Kilmer always say to his audience about the BMW, “ ENDLESS MONEY PIT”. I can’t see how Mirage belongs here in terms of repairs 🤔

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Interesting. As far as the Yaris iA goes, some (if not most) parts are interchangeable with Toyota unless I’m completely wrong? It’s based off the Mazda’s platform. I have seen them go high as 200,000 miles. I’m convinced they’re reliable or else Toyota’s image on reliability would have had faltered. Mazda and Toyota temporary partnership was a good thing for consumers after all.

Now in the subject of Mirage in need of repair and service NOT covered under warranty, how could you be so sure that the parts and labor are similarly expensive BMW’s? I thought parts are cheaply built and made but durability too.

When I think of BMW price, I thought twice or thrice more than what Honda and Toyota would charge for, no? Like Scotty Kilmer always say to his audience about the BMW, “ ENDLESS MONEY PIT”. I can’t see how Mirage belongs here in terms of repairs ��
    Mirage parts specifically...and Mitsubishi parts in general...are more expensive and take longer to get than the same parts for a Honda or Toyota. Why? Who knows. But "BMW expensive"? Not really, and I have owned BMWs.

That said, these cars don't break very often anyway, and if you are buying new you will have many, many years of warranty coverage.

Mirages with manual transmissions are more or less indestructible unless you wail on them.