Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Window Motor Internal Failure (Uncommon failure?)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Power Window Motor Internal Failure (Uncommon failure?)

2019 Mitsubishi Mirage RF Hatchback 45k Miles

I drive UberEats/Doordash my window goes up and down A LOT. Probably 50 times a night picking up food and if I have to put it down to see house numbers. Been doing it for almost two years. Good assumption of around 30,000 up/down cycles over that time period. I would blame the auto function of the window switch putting too much force once it hits it's stopping point and not immediately terminating the motor.

My motor has failed and it seems to be in a very uncommon way since I can barely find anyone else that has experienced this failure.

The end of the shaft that secures the end to a fixed gear has totally stripped. I tried to use JB Weld to re-secure it and it failed as soon as it hit the bottom stopping point in the window. I have now cut the shaft in half and inserted a rod to strengthen it then reapplied JB Weld. It worked enough to get the window up.. but now I'm going to be extremely nervous using my window. These prices and availability for just the motor is ridiculous!(around $250-300) Anyone have any experience using a more common/generic motor(some rewiring would be needed, I know). Has anyone else had this failure?

Also if anyone has a driver side window motor 2017+ with auto function for sale or know of any cars being parted out, PLEASE let me know.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by PireFenguin; 08-26-2021 at 02:18 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PireFenguin View Post
    2019 Mitsubishi Mirage RF Hatchback 45k Miles
    2019 Mirage with 45,000 miles on it?? I would let Mitsubishi fix it under warranty. They don't need to know what you do with the car... BUT... now that you have taken it apart, you may be on your own... Check the Recycle yards... Seriously, if your equipment is under warranty, take it to the dealer. I have to reject lots of warranty on snow blowers & lawnmowers because the owner has taken it apart to fix it...A simple warranty fix may cost more if the customer has it apart first,,, Just saying...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advice, klroger. Unfortunately the nearest dealer is about 40min away and if I don't have the car for 1-2 days for diag and another day for repair - I'd lose money versus doing it myself with the business I've lost not being able to drive(can't deliver in a car other than what's registered with Uber otherwise you could get deactivated, if reported). Also, since day one with this car I've done all maintenance and haven't logged it. So I'm not sure if they'd honor warranty work at this point.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Here's one on eBay...says it's for a 2014-2017 but according to the Mitsubishi parts websites, all driver's door window motors are part # 5713A379 regardless of what year Mirage it is (double-check me on that).

Name:  window.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  94.3 KB

$120 isn't cheap...but you won't have to chase around Africanized killer bee-infested junkyards in 100 degree heat and waste half a day pulling it yourself.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Thanks

Window motor failure

Also had a recent window motor failure. Splines and mating gear had corroded through completely due to ingress of moisture - poor sealing. I attempted a repair but it failed due to the huge torque transmitted when the motor stalls. I think the motor assembly is part #5713A382 - offside front. Can't find one anywhere in the UK.

Vehicle way out of warranty, 65k miles, 2013.

Need a lottery win to buy one of these!! Not good value for money...on the other hand the car's generally a goodun'.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Did anyone convert the power windows to a crank? Is it possible?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.9 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PireFenguin View Post
    Thanks for the advice, klroger. Unfortunately the nearest dealer is about 40min away and if I don't have the car for 1-2 days for diag and another day for repair - I'd lose money versus doing it myself with the business I've lost not being able to drive(can't deliver in a car other than what's registered with Uber otherwise you could get deactivated, if reported). Also, since day one with this car I've done all maintenance and haven't logged it. So I'm not sure if they'd honor warranty work at this point.
    It doesn't matter what other work you've done, they can only deny coverage on something you've fiddled with. ie. they can't refuse CVT work if you change your own engine oil.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    I have to reject lots of warranty on snow blowers & lawnmowers
    Fiddling with small equipment is a new hobby of mine. Do you handle warranty on higher end stuff (read-expensive) or the MTD-Yardman-Sears lines? I'm reading about the history of this gear and it's interesting.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Fiddling with small equipment is a new hobby of mine. Do you handle warranty on higher end stuff (read-expensive) or the MTD-Yardman-Sears lines? I'm reading about the history of this gear and it's interesting.
    I get mostly the big box store stuff, like MTD, Husqvarna, Champion Power Equipment etc stuff, but some Ariens & Toro too. So far this year I have 3 snow blowers with carbs in a box in parts & one the owner took down to the bare block & brought it to me after they broke the muffler bolts off in the block. Those are always fun...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    I get mostly the big box store stuff, like MTD, Husqvarna, Champion Power Equipment etc stuff, but some Ariens & Toro too. So far this year I have 3 snow blowers with carbs in a box in parts & one the owner took down to the bare block & brought it to me after they broke the muffler bolts off in the block. Those are always fun...
    Isn't nearly all you have mentioned owned by Briggs these days? Even the Ariens and Toros? I just read the last USA engine installed on a blower was in 2013, everything since then has been mfg in China. That shocked me. The numbnuts stripping down new blowers to bare blocks DOES NOT surprise me. The longer I live the more idiots I encounter. But bare block? jesus...