Thread: JATCO introduces new CVTX to replace the CVT8. Copying Aisin for better reliability?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts

JATCO introduces new CVTX to replace the CVT8. Copying Aisin for better reliability?

I know this news doesn't pertain to us Mirage owners with CVT7s but I thought it was interesting that JATCO abandoned the push belt style for a chain. It's supposed to cause 30% less wear and tear over time vs the CVT8. Its not available in any models sold in the US so far, only the Nissan Qashqai sold in Europe. Could this be the successor for the Outlander Sport, Eclipse Cross, and Outlander?

https://www.jatco.co.jp/english/rele...0630_1247.html

Other question. Does the PHEV Outlander come with a CVT8 or does it have something different because its a plugin hybrid? I ask because it seems CVTs seem to hold up much better in hybrids and EVs than they do in ICE vehicles. Thoughts?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I know this news doesn't pertain to us Mirage owners with CVT7s but I thought it was interesting that JATCO abandoned the push belt style for a chain. It's supposed to cause 30% less wear and tear over time vs the CVT8. Its not available in any models sold in the US so far, only the Nissan Qashqai sold in Europe. Could this be the successor for the Outlander Sport, Eclipse Cross, and Outlander?

Other question. Does the PHEV Outlander come with a CVT8 or does it have something different because its a plugin hybrid? I ask because it seems CVTs seem to hold up much better in hybrids and EVs than they do in ICE vehicles. Thoughts?
    The PHEV Outlander uses a single speed electric motors at both axles and should be very reliable and does not use a CVT or multi-speed automatic.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (08-26-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    The PHEV Outlander uses a single speed electric motors at both axles and should be very reliable and does not use a CVT or multi-speed automatic.
    That's what I figured. The PHEV is possibly the most reliable Mitsu made this century.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's what I figured. The PHEV is possibly the most reliable Mitsu made this century.
    I agree, with the 2.4 4B12 engine that's been detuned to 126hp and rev limited to a maximum 4500rpm (it must have a different cam because torque & hp peak are both @4500rpm). With normal maintenance that engine won't ever be stressed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (08-26-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    I agree, with the 2.4 4B12 engine that's been detuned to 126hp and rev limited to a maximum 4500rpm (it must have a different cam because torque & hp peak are both @4500rpm). With normal maintenance that engine won't ever be stressed.
    I just wondered if all the complaining finally got to JATCO and they just started copying what AISIN does?

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

The outlander PHEV does not have a transmission instead they use some sort of transfer case with clutches to transfer power between the engine and electric motor its pretty cleaver unlike the toyota corolla cross hybrid they still use cvt on that.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    that 4b12 from the outlander PHEV uses Atkinson cycle, and yah that engine is super relax considering that its just driving the generator and only help drives the vehicle when its running 135kph above.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by allrock View Post
    that 4b12 from the outlander PHEV uses Atkinson cycle, and yah that engine is super relax considering that its just driving the generator and only help drives the vehicle when its running 135kph above.
    Absolutely, realistically the 4b12 will most likely last longer than the battery pack. With the available regeneration modes available I would imagine a set of brakes would last a long time also. Although the Outlander PHEV doesn't have a long battery only range (24 miles / 38 kilometers) I would imagine that if most of your trips are short grocery getter type of errands or short commutes then you probably aren't going to run your engine that much at all. It does have fast level charging so you can recharge to 80% in in around 20 minutes.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Absolutely, realistically the 4b12 will most likely last longer than the battery pack. With the available regeneration modes available I would imagine a set of brakes would last a long time also. Although the Outlander PHEV doesn't have a long battery only range (24 miles / 38 kilometers) I would imagine that if most of your trips are short grocery getter type of errands or short commutes then you probably aren't going to run your engine that much at all. It does have fast level charging so you can recharge to 80% in in around 20 minutes.
    And also it can charge itself when the engine is in use, so range anxiety is out of the picture regardless if the EV range is short, you can literally bring this electric vehicle to the wilderness and come back with it.