Thread: Battle of the Mirages

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Battle of the Mirages

Okay folks I have two Mirages that I am looking at. One is a 2015 with 85,600km and the other is a 2018 with 49,000km. Both have automatic transmissions.

Price: 2015 - currently $4000 but negotiable. If I bring it to a mechanic and find the alignment is out of line I could get the price lowered as the replacement would no longer be covered. I could ask the mechanic about a heater core too?
    2018 - currently $9000. Was $9500 but has dropped. Photos indicate it has been sitting in the lot since early spring, so they most likely want to get rid of it. I'm guessing I could get it for $8000-$8500.

Condition: 2015 - Was in an accident in December of 2016 front and rear bumper were damaged. Claim was $285. Car sounds like it is running fine. Car is being sold as-is.
    2018 - was in an accident that damaged front bumper. The front bumper has since been replaced, but I asked for a photo pre-repair to see what it looked like. Certification is included in the price.

Warranty: 2015 - no longer covered by the 5 year warranty but has the 10 year.
    2018 - Both warranties still active.

Location: 2015 - in Sudbury, so only an hour's drive away. Also have a trusted mechanic there to look things over.
    2018 - in Toronto so a 4 hour drive away. No known mechanics in the area but the shop selling is extremely highly rated - 4.8 out of 5 stars with 300+ ratings. They have already offered to do an alignment check with the certification after I mentioned the rear alignment issue in some Mirages.

*Both have manual climate controls! Woo!

2015: https://www.kijijiautos.ca/cars/mits.../#vip=21187826
    2018: https://www.kijijiautos.ca/cars/mits.../#vip=19349910

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cam123 View Post

Warranty: 2015 - no longer covered by the 5 year warranty but has the 10 year.
    2018 - Both warranties still active.
    In the United States, the 5-year/60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty may transfer to the 2nd owner of a Mitsubishi vehicle.

The 10 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty & 5 year/unlimited mile roadside assistance does not transfer to a 2nd owner. Only the original owners receive that coverage/protection.

Does Canada do this differently?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    In the United States, the 5-year/60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty may transfer to the 2nd owner of a Mitsubishi vehicle.

The 10 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty & 5 year/unlimited mile roadside assistance does not transfer to a 2nd owner. Only the original owners receive that coverage/protection.

Does Canada do this differently?
    Thank you for pointing that out. Here is Mitsubishi Canada:

"At Mitsubishi Motors, we’re so confident in the quality, reliability and durability of the cars we build that we back them with some of the most comprehensive warranties available. This list is headed by a 10-year/160,000 km Powertrain Limited Warranty* and a [b]5-year/100,000 km fully transferable New Vehicle Limited Warranty.* We offer up to a 5-year/100,000 km accessory warranty along with 5-year/Unlimited km Roadside Assistance. So now, when you drive off in your new Mitsubishi vehicle, you'll leave with even more peace of mind, knowing you can enjoy it to the fullest for many years to come."

This is one of those assumptions I made without even thinking about. Knowing the 10 year does not transfer is good.
    Last edited by Cam123; 08-27-2021 at 03:59 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    I don't care for black cars, but that one is a lot cheaper and has what look like nice weather mats. The white one has display audio and a backup camera, neither of which would make it worth twice as much to me.

IMHO, there isn't enough difference between the '15 and '18 models to justify the price of the '18. Mileage is a push...both cars have lots of life left in them.

Both are likely good bets, but I don't think I'd travel four times farther away to spend twice as much given these two cars are about 95% identical.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanks for your input Cobrajet. No I don't need the backup camera or the screen I'd say.

I will be heading down on Tuesday to check out the 2015 and to bring it to a mechanic. If after a look over (and alignment check) he does not find any serious issues then I think I might just purchase the car. If the alignment is out of whack then I should be able to get a lower price to make up for having to pay for that at some point.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cam123 For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (08-29-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    So here is the front bumper. To my eyes this is hitting a curb and not another car, which is good news to me. I may end up taking the car for a drive today stuff works out. Name:  bumper.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  69.1 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    So here is the front bumper. To my eyes this is hitting a curb and not another car, which is good news to me. I may end up taking the car for a drive today stuff works out. Name:  bumper.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  69.1 KB
    Be sure to look underneath the car for any 'follow-through' to that damage on the bumper.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Cam123 (08-31-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Be sure to look underneath the car for any 'follow-through' to that damage on the bumper.

Will do. I can take a peek, and I'll mention it to the mechanic too when he does the look over.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    So here is the front bumper. To my eyes this is hitting a curb and not another car, which is good news to me. I may end up taking the car for a drive today stuff works out.
    Check to make sure the lower radiator bracket hasn't been pushed back. If it has, it's apparently easy to straighten out. But it could be a point for negotiations.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Cam123 (08-31-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanks for the tip Eggman! I'm going to bring everything I need to jack the one corner of the car up to get a peek underneath. I'll go for a drive around the neighbourhood too, but not to the mechanic's shop because there are no plates on the car.

That's the silly assumption that I made because this is my first car purchase: that I'd be able to bring the car to a mechanic's shop before purchasing it. I think when people say "have a mechanic check it out" they mean bring someone with you to see the car and not to bring the car to a shop. Whoops. I won't be able to do that with this car as our mechanic is an hour away, but I'll do some of my own investigating. I certainly won't be rushing in, as you folks can probably tell now.