Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Singer :: 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage ES + (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Singer
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage ES +
    Black
    Automatic

Ticking engine, hence the name. Car is sitting at around 85,700km, and the dealership said I could get another 100,000km out of the thing before it craps out if I treat it well. I'm gonna shoot for 200,000, because why not? Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll end up in the scrapyard at some point regardless.

Details

CD, radio, Bluetooth, enjoying the sewing machine vibes

Soft as heck and I love it

•  
    Comments: 74 / Views: 28142
    Hopefully you picked up some drums for cheap($100ish a piece on rock auto) otherwise be ready for a insanely expensive bill. Over $600 for a pair of drums from the dealer and there isn't a lot available aftermarket. None of our suppliers even list any for 14-15. They do for 17' which doesn't fit.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Interesting. I did not buy the drums unfortunately, but the mechanic we've got tends to do things for cheap. My front brakes combined with an undercoating were $400 total. I think I got pads and rotors done, correct me if those are the wrong terms. He doesn't charge much for labor, because his overhead is very low as he does all his work from home. I guess I'll find out. There is a pair of brake shoes in the car that he could use if needed, but I doubt they're very expensive.

*Edit he is all done. Drums and shoes, and some other adjustments he said. $380 total.
    Last edited by Cam123; 10-28-2021 at 04:26 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cam123 View Post
    Interesting. I did not buy the drums unfortunately, but the mechanic we've got tends to do things for cheap. My front brakes combined with an undercoating were $400 total. I think I got pads and rotors done, correct me if those are the wrong terms. He doesn't charge much for labor, because his overhead is very low as he does all his work from home. I guess I'll find out. There is a pair of brake shoes in the car that he could use if needed, but I doubt they're very expensive.

*Edit he is all done. Drums and shoes, and some other adjustments he said. $380 total.
    It's really nice to have local guys who you trust like this, & I really don't mind supporting them with my business, too. I'm sure the same job at a dealership would have been much more expensive.

Nice. I wonder what drums your guy used? I can't even source aftermarket ones out here.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I can ask tomorrow if I remember, but no guarantees there.

Mark I like supporting them too very much. The knowledge gap between customers and mechanics is huge, so it is very easy as a mechanic to be dishonet to earn more money. I'm glad we found one of the good ones!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Sorry Fummins I completely forgot, as expected.

I did some washing and waxing today. I found some old car wax bottles in the garage and thought why not? Check out the difference! Not new looking but definitely waaay better. Name:  difference.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  97.3 KB

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cam123 For This Useful Post:

inuvik (11-01-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I got bored today so I took the rear seats out of Singer. It was surprisingly easy. Just a 14mm wrench and some patience was all it took. The bolts in the middle were definitely WAY harder to loosen than the four side ones. In my three months of owning it I have had people in the back seat twice I think. The bottom cushion is still in. I've got some vague ideas of having room to camp in it or to haul stuff but in all honesty I'm just having fun. My toes were cold by the time I was done as it is -27 right now but I'd say it was worth it. I think it could also be some sort of mini van to do some small welding jobs. An inverter welder and a couple of grinders and some flux core wire and some extension cords would all fit in well in the back of the mirage. Just brainstorming honestly. Would need a solid divider though if I'm going to start carrying heavier stuff around.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I think it could also be some sort of mini van to do some small welding jobs. An inverter welder and a couple of grinders and some flux core wire and some extension cords would all fit in well in the back of the mirage
    Have you been able to get a good weld with the Flux Core Wire??? I have a Mig Pac140 Lincoln with the flux core wire & I can't for the life of me make a weld I'm happy with no mater how much I grind or clean before... Do you have any tips before I buy the tank & go with the shield Gas???
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    Have you been able to get a good weld with the Flux Core Wire??? I have a Mig Pac140 Lincoln with the flux core wire & I can't for the life of me make a weld I'm happy with no mater how much I grind or clean before... Do you have any tips before I buy the tank & go with the shield Gas???

Lol sorry to get you excited! I have actually only run one or two beads of flux core. I bought a hobart welder last year, but sold it a month or two later because I thought I was going to buy a car then and I needed the cash.

I'm in a welding program at my local college right now where I'll definitely be trying out some flux core. From what I have learned there is more spatter involved but in terms of weld strength it is not an inferior process to mig. One thing to remember is how you're storing your wire. I think flux core might be similar to stick rods in that if you leave them out in the garage where they're open to humidity and all that the wire may not perform as well. This is extrapolating from my stick knowledge (e.g. baking 7018 rods prior to use to remove excess moisture from the flux) so if this is wrong someone who knows more please correct. That may or may not be affecting your welds. If you don't like the excess spatter I know there are some antispatter sprays you spritz on beforehand and the spatter just wipes off afterwards.

Until I have more experience with the process that's all I can think of. Good luck! And if you get the gases have fun, we are about to start mig at school and I am pumped.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Sad news about Singer. The oil light came on today...after only 2500km since my initial change when I bought the car. I knew this was a possibility when I learned more about the ticking sound, but it's sad to see something is wrong. I put two pics of the dipstick up. I sure am learning a lot about cars. I was told a few times to keep an eye on the oil level, but if I'm being honest I'm not actually sure what 'good' oil looks like. I know it's almost clear when it goes in. When I did my checks every couple weeks it was sort of brownish but didn't seem alarming to me. I bet someone who knew more about cars might have been alarmed by it.

Then this morning I did a cold start (forgot to plug the heater in for the first time in a while) and right afterwards the oil light came on. The engine is only slightly noisier than usual.

Next steps here are to ride my bike to school for the time being, at least until I get some new oil in there. Then I will call Mitsubishi, something I was ignoring because I thought I wouldn't need to. Then to decide if I am getting a new engine, or learning to do oil changes myself, or looking at another vehicle (definitely last resort).

I could also get a used engine. It looks like there are a few available on ebay for less than OEM prices. But first I need to call Mitsubishi and see if I can get anything out of them.

Attached Images Attached Images