Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Singer :: 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage ES + (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Singer
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage ES +
    Black
    Automatic

Ticking engine, hence the name. Car is sitting at around 85,700km, and the dealership said I could get another 100,000km out of the thing before it craps out if I treat it well. I'm gonna shoot for 200,000, because why not? Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll end up in the scrapyard at some point regardless.

Details

CD, radio, Bluetooth, enjoying the sewing machine vibes

Soft as heck and I love it

•  
    Comments: 74 / Views: 27737
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Okay have done some more forum reading. God I love this place. I think in my next oil change I will try a thicker type of oil. I think I have 0W20 (don't quote me on that I am brand new to this stuff) in right now, and I'll learn about which ones are thicker. If that doesn't work, I might just leave it. The car is out of warranty now, so if the engine blows up or something I'll just have to get something else, lol. The sound has not intensified at all though in the ten days I've had the car now, so I'm not too worried. I forget who described the sound as a sewing machine but I just love the comparison. I think I might name the car Singer instead in honour of the sound. Here are some other quirks.

- Car gets 'nervous' around 100km/h. Steering wheel vibrates...my guess is alignment issue but not 100% sure?
    - CD player makes a 'tick tick' noise whenever it's in use. I just wish it went with the beat of the music but oh well
    - The handling!! Just drove home from a jog and was swerving around on quiet roads, and I had an absolute blast. I am very excited to try this thing out in the winter parking lots.
    - The size! I should have expected this but holy jeez does this thing turn on a dime. Most places where I used to do a three point turn I just spin the wheel all the way to the left and just go for it now. It's so freeing.

I'm sitting at around 5.8L per 100km which is pretty sweet with me. I also got Singer undercoated so it should have much more fun on these salty winter roads now. Once I have the cash for it I'll be getting a new battery. I'm starting my grocery store job again in a couple weeks so I'll have some money coming in again after 4 months of watching my accounts deplete. Woo!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cam123 For This Useful Post:

inuvik (09-09-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Check your tires for vibration problems at speed, especially balance. Hopefully one of your tires threw a weight and doesn’t have a bent rim.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cam123 View Post
    Okay have done some more forum reading. God I love this place. I think in my next oil change I will try a thicker type of oil. I think I have 0W20 (don't quote me on that I am brand new to this stuff) in right now, and I'll learn about which ones are thicker. If that doesn't work, I might just leave it. The car is out of warranty now, so if the engine blows up or something I'll just have to get something else, lol. The sound has not intensified at all though in the ten days I've had the car now, so I'm not too worried. I forget who described the sound as a sewing machine but I just love the comparison. I think I might name the car Singer instead in honour of the sound. Here are some other quirks.

- Car gets 'nervous' around 100km/h. Steering wheel vibrates...my guess is alignment issue but not 100% sure?
    - CD player makes a 'tick tick' noise whenever it's in use. I just wish it went with the beat of the music but oh well
    - The handling!! Just drove home from a jog and was swerving around on quiet roads, and I had an absolute blast. I am very excited to try this thing out in the winter parking lots.
    - The size! I should have expected this but holy jeez does this thing turn on a dime. Most places where I used to do a three point turn I just spin the wheel all the way to the left and just go for it now. It's so freeing.

I'm sitting at around 5.8L per 100km which is pretty sweet with me. I also got Singer undercoated so it should have much more fun on these salty winter roads now. Once I have the cash for it I'll be getting a new battery. I'm starting my grocery store job again in a couple weeks so I'll have some money coming in again after 4 months of watching my accounts deplete. Woo!
    If you live in northern Ontario, I would consider sticking with 0W-20 going into the fall & winter. I use 5W-30 during the summer months, but I switch back to 0W-20 in the fall. 5W-30 or something else may be fine year round, but your car may appreciate the thinner oil when it's bitterly cold outside.

Like Eggman already said, make sure your tires are balanced & in alignment. Have someone check that your winter tires are balanced at the same time. Easier to do if they aren't on your car yet.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,392 Times in 1,009 Posts
    I'm not liking the sound of that ticking...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advice guys. On the list when I have more cash:
    rear brakes (recommended but not needed for certification)
    tire balancing
    alignment check
    exploring the ticking noise

Our family mechanic suggested I call Mitsubishi and tell a bit of a sad story about how I'm a student who bought this car thinking it was going to be reliable basic transportation, and now the engine is making a weird tick noise. Maybe they'll give it a free look over? Most likely not as it's out of warranty, but what do I have to lose? For now I will wait and see. The issue is I didn't know if this was just one of the quirks of a mirage as this one was the first one I ever drove - all dealerships within ~150km of me still have NO mirages.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Update. My mechanic just sent me an email about a 2014-2015 issue. Something about the ECU sending too much gas to the engine at a cold start up resulting in engine noise. Now it is definitely worth a try contacting the dealership.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...03105-0335.pdf

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    https://www.700r4transmissionhq.com/...ick-diagnosis/

I found another source that describes lifter tick. The accompanying video sounds very close to the sound Singer is generating. Here is their example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSRpdY2bjY4

And here is a video I just took of Singer in the driveway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAZa...ab_channel=Cam

Hmm. So I went to the dealer today, and service was closed. One of the salesman said to call on Monday to chat with the head service lady. I will see about this repair. If it turns out to be something that will eventually cause serious damage to the engine, I will get it repaired. If it is relatively minor though I don't think I will touch it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Register your Mirage with Mitsubishi Motors online to see if this or any other recall has been done to your car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanks Eggman I wasn't even aware I could do that. I found one recall to do with a chassis? I think unrelated but I'll put a pic up.Edit just reread and it says chasis not chassis. Name:  recall.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  61.9 KB

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Okay so Singer is off to the dealership tomorrow. I called and told her my situation - 2015 Mirage, engine ticking, blah blah. Tomorrow at 12:30 she'll take a look at it. I'm going to make clear when I get there that I don't have a bunch of cash so any repair won't be at least for a few weeks until I'm back working again. She was very friendly which is always good.

Just for fun I did some more paint touch ups with the pen. I really like that thing. I did the bottom inside part of the driver door, where it gets all scratched up. It doesn't look new by any means but I think it looks better. I just really enjoy touching this thing up. I put on some rock and roll, and a respirator because those are some nasty fumes. I also did the rear door left door which wasn't nearly as scratched...it looks awesome!

For now I'm am using the old two wheeler for transport to and from school. I love bikes because I mostly understand them. I've been learning how to repair them for a couple years now, so I'm pretty comfortable with all the functions. I hope to get like that with cars someday...Name:  scratched.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  98.1 KBName:  Clear coat.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  96.1 KB

Last edited by Cam123; 09-16-2021 at 07:49 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cam123 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (09-16-2021)