Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resetting an airbag light: Autel MK808

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts

Resetting an airbag light: Autel MK808

I have a confession to make. I lost my cool.

The other day I was at work. I had to move my car a short distance after getting out of it while it was still running and I didn't feel like re-buckling my seat belt. The seatbelt chime came on...***PING PING PING PING PING!*** Yes. I know my seatbelt is off.

A short time later, I had to do it again...***PING PING PING PING PING! PING PING PING PING PING!***

And again. ***PING PING PING PING PING! PING PING PING PING PING!***

YES, I KNOW MY GODD%MNED SEATBELT IS OFF!!

If I had a Mitsubishi MUTIII for five minutes, the first thing I would do with it would be disable the seat belt chime! It's not that I don't wear it, it's that my job sometimes means I have to move short distances at low speeds in residential areas where a seat belt isn't necessary. Anyway, I got so annoyed I reached under the seat and disconnected the connector. Not the yellow connector for the airbag itself, as I knew that would throw a code. But the other connector for the seat belt buckle. Well, my car didn't like that. In the back of my mind somewhere I knew it wouldn't.

Of course, the airbag light immediately came on in the instrument cluster. Dammit!

I began researching ways to turn it off again. Back in the day you could just plug everything back in and the system would self-correct. Not anymore. I found procedures that might work for other cars...even other Mitsubishi products. But not our Mirages. It was a trip to the dealer or a trip to a mechanic to have the light manually reset. I am sure a local mechanic would simply reset the light for me for a small fee. Maybe even do it for free if I was nice and promised to come back. But I got myself into this and I wanted to get myself out of it.

During the course of my research I discovered that certain middle and higher-end consumer-grade scan tools could reset this light. One of these tools was the Autel MK808.

I ordered one from Autel last week. Took them forever to get it in the mail, but once they did it arrived quickly. I got it tonight. Registering it is kind of a pain and you can't use it until you do. But once you get it set up, using the tool is pretty easy.

Go to the main menu. Select 'DIAGNOSTICS'

Now it will ask you what make you are working on. 'MITSUBISHI'

Next, it will ask for your VIN. You can enter it manually, or select 'Automatic Selection'. With the key on and engine off, it will retrieve it for you.

This is the platform designation, I guess. This information on our cars can be found on the metal plate in the passenger door jam. If you hit 'HELP', the machine will tell you where to find this designation. Pretty cool! Mine is 'XNHHL#'

The car's details will appear.

Select 'DIAGNOSIS'.

On this screen you can scan for any and all codes, but I knew what I was looking for and selected 'CONTROL UNIT'.

Select 'SRS-Air Bag'

Here are your options. If you want to erase codes, the MK808 will not let you do so until you read them first. So select 'Read Codes'.

Here is my self-inflicted trouble code.

Back out again, and push 'Erase Codes'.

It will ask you to make sure the key is on.

It will ask you if you are SUPER sure!

Codes erased. Light gone. Humiliation over.

At about $400 the Autel MK808 isn't particularly cheap. But I decided it was time to retire the $15 code reader I have been using for the last 15 years. The MK808 is supposed to be able to register TPMS sensors and...NEW F.A.S.T. KEYS.

Stay tuned...

Last edited by Cobrajet; 09-04-2021 at 10:09 AM.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

daleWV (09-05-2021),Eggman (09-04-2021),Fummins (02-05-2023),inuvik (09-05-2021),Mark (09-05-2021),MetroMPG (01-12-2022),precisionxt (02-21-2024),Top_Fuel (09-05-2021),Wayne (11-28-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    At about $400 the Autel MK808 isn't particularly cheap. But I decided it was time to retire the $15 code reader I have been using for the last 15 years. The MK808 is supposed to be able to register TPMS sensors and...NEW F.A.S.T. KEYS.

Stay tuned...
    Very interesting. This thread can cover all the various functions that pertain to the Mirage. Looks like it has a function for ABS bleeding too.

What else can it do?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

They must have changed things, I didn't register mine for years. Bought it in 2014 and used it right out of the box with the year old info. The autel sales rep told me you can register it anytime then at that time you get one free year of updates. After 3 years or so I finally needed to update it to scan some newer vehicles properly. I registered it but it was so far behind on updates I had to call tech support and have them do via remote desktop and sd card. I updated everything just before that year was up and haven't bothered to do it again ever since.
    I've been able to program keys and fobs for 2017 ish Nissans. I haven't tried on other cars though.

Have you been able to do anything with the Tpms? Add a second set of sensors by chance?

On our Nissans I can reprogram sensors to the tpms module, but it's kinda finicky to do.

I assume you can do the same stuff as my autel maxisys mini can?
    In the cluster menu change the blinker sound. And stop the signal light from flashing 3 times every time you hit the lever.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    They must have changed things, I didn't register mine for years. Bought it in 2014 and used it right out of the box with the year old info. The autel sales rep told me you can register it anytime then at that time you get one free year of updates. After 3 years or so I finally needed to update it to scan some newer vehicles properly. I registered it but it was so far behind on updates I had to call tech support and have them do via remote desktop and sd card. I updated everything just before that year was up and haven't bothered to do it again ever since.
    I've been able to program keys and fobs for 2017 ish Nissans. I haven't tried on other cars though.

Have you been able to do anything with the Tpms? Add a second set of sensors by chance?

On our Nissans I can reprogram sensors to the tpms module, but it's kinda finicky to do.

I assume you can do the same stuff as my autel maxisys mini can?
    In the cluster menu change the blinker sound. And stop the signal light from flashing 3 times every time you hit the lever.
    I read a list of every function the MK808 is capable of and it says programming FAST keys and registering TPMS sensors are covered for the Mirage. It also mentions the ability to register a second set. But who knows. Most of the time the Mirage seems to be in the 2% of vehicles that aren't covered.

I was surprised and relieved to find it actually reset my airbag light.

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    If the MK808 is capable of registering the TPMS sensor IDs through Pressure Reduction Sequence or using a TPMS activation tool of your choice (i.e.: Ateq VT37, Autel TS408, Foxwell T1000, etc.) as a Snap-On Modis ULTRA, I'd say the Autel MK808 is a powerful tool for a reasonable price.
    Last edited by jtr990; 01-02-2022 at 04:09 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Any chance you can share what ETACS functionality is available? Im particularly interested in maybe adding cruise control, removing the turn signal half press three flash garbage and if possible maybe disabling the canbus detection of burnt light bulbs?

Also, Were you able to disable the seatbelt reminder chime as you wanted to? this guy says its possible https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...st-programming

Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    Any chance you can share what ETACS functionality is available? Im particularly interested in maybe adding cruise control, removing the turn signal half press three flash garbage and if possible maybe disabling the canbus detection of burnt light bulbs?

Also, Were you able to disable the seatbelt reminder chime as you wanted to? this guy says its possible https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...st-programming
    I have the maxisys mini which I assume is kinda close. I wasn't able to add cruise with it but could turn off the stupid 3 flash(comfort flash?) feature and change the blinker sound. I don't know of any detection of burnt bulbs other than sometimes abs codes will get thrown if you have 1 of more burnt out brake lights.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    That is THE BEST set of step-by-step instructions I have ever seen! And with pictures! Now if you could just impart this gift to others who assume a lot and ALWAYS leave out a step or two......

Like directions in the deep south: when you hear, "ya cain't miss it!" you know they left something out!
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I have a confession to make. I lost my cool.

The other day I was at work. I had to move my car a short distance after getting out of it while it was still running and I didn't feel like re-buckling my seat belt. The seatbelt chime came on...***PING PING PING PING PING!*** Yes. I know my seatbelt is off.

A short time later, I had to do it again...***PING PING PING PING PING! PING PING PING PING PING!***

YES, I KNOW MY GODD%MNED SEATBELT IS OFF!!

If I had a Mitsubishi MUTIII for five minutes, the first thing I would do with it would be disable the seat belt chime! It's not that I don't wear it, it's that my job sometimes means I have to move short distances at low speeds in residential areas where a seat belt isn't necessary. Anyway, I got so annoyed I reached under the seat and disconnected the connector. Not the yellow connector for the airbag itself, as I knew that would throw a code. But the other connector for the seat belt buckle. Well, my car didn't like that. In the back of my mind somewhere I knew it wouldn't.

Stay tuned...
    If you wanted to try to change or stop that seatbelt chime I think I found a way. My autel tool is a bit different but will hopefully work like yours.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (01-14-2022)

Attachment 22660Attachment 22661Attachment 22662Attachment 22663Attachment 22664

Don't mind the scratchy screen, I use it as a wheel chock sometimes.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (01-14-2022),inuvik (01-12-2022),MetroMPG (01-12-2022)