Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ecomodding, winter/ghetto edition! (big Mirage grille block)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Ecomodding, winter/ghetto edition! (big Mirage grille block)

All you need is a roll of masking tape, and you can isolate engine heat and gain heater output/MPG:

Things I learned from this:

-Scangauge shows a ~3 MPG improvement in town driving, real world results to follow
    -Intake Air Temp increased to ~40 degrees above ambient, up from 10-15
    -Upper intake is sufficient to prevent overheating, even while sitting in traffic on a 50* afternoon
    -Cooling fan kicks on at 206*
    -Less engine noise is heard with the lower grille blocked off. Because of less air rushing through engine bay?

I'll be using this setup until the spring equinox or until I start seeing temperatures over 215* consistently, but so far this seems like a great way to help enhance cold-start and heater performance and maximize MPG while winter is still around.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dorifuta For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-02-2014)

Grille blocking also has real aerodynamic benefits. You're killing about 4 birds with one roll of tape.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Honestly, between you and me Metro, I was just tired of freezing during the first 20 minutes of driving to work. You can tell this car was designed for more tropical climates because it does a piss poor job of warming up, especially at lower speeds where engine output is reduced. I believe the real MPG benefit will come from the faster engine warm up time and entering closed loop/overdrive more quickly. It warms up a LOT quicker now.

I plan on using this car in HPDE and racing situations, so keeping a grille block year-round could possibly lead to overheating issues. But the radiator fan does a fine job of sucking in cool air air from the upper grille and cooling down the coolant.

...still... I wonder just how much more aerodynamic my car is. Can I get her to hit 110!?

Can I get her to hit 110!?
    115 Garanteed!!

Yeah - you'll have to be scaling that back as the temps warm up.

I was just tired of freezing during the first 20 minutes of driving
    Coolant/block heater would be best: faster cabin heat, better for the engine (cold soak starts are the worst), better mileage. Only works if you've got a place to plug in though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Took the car for a late-night spin on backroads. Came home and was reading 50.2. WOW!

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    lol .... nice mod

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Not pretty, but it works! I know how the heat thing is. My Prius has the entire front grill blocked off in winter. If I'm taking a long highway trip I remove a strip out from the upper grill about the size of the Mirage opening and it is very happy with just that opening.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I spent an hour plus sitting in Newark traffic today. No overheat problems, but I noticed something odd - the engine bay must now be well sealed off, because I watched my IAT's slowly creep up to 130*.

So it definitely doubles as a low-speed 'hot air intake' as well.

Popular Mechanics copied your grille block: 68 MPG in competition

This is funny:

I was reading Popular Mechanics summary of the Vegas to L.A. economy run competition. The writer, Michael Austin, was explaining his driving techniques and modifications, and specifically talked about his hastily taped-up grille (which both his competitors immediately copied).

Name:  mileage-contest-01-0314-mdn.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  22.3 KB

And where did he "research" this idea?

In this very thread, I believe...

I planned to tape off the entire lower grille of the Mirage (a strategy my competitors were able to copy at the last minute after procuring some painter's tape). In the end, I left some of the lower grille open to prevent overheating. Based on anecdotal testimony from a Mirage owner's message board, I was sure the tiny air duct just below the hood would be enough to keep the car cool
    Source: http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...ntest-16604530

Congrats for being so influential, dorifuta!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

mitsumi (01-07-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Haha, that is so cool.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)