Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trailer MPG experiment, or pickup truck?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,388 Times in 1,007 Posts

Trailer MPG experiment, or pickup truck?

Guys,

I need to make a 145 mile run north to my dad's house to get his pressure washer. I can either:

• Do it in my truck (Dodge Ram) and get ~20 mpg. Or,
    • Do it in his truck (which is now my truck, 2003 GMC Sierra) and get ~23 mpg. Or,
    • Do it with the Mirage and my 5'x10' utility trailer ... with what I expect would be 35 mpg.

The utility trailer would barely even get used, just holding a pressure washer. I was up there a couple weeks ago and rejected putting the pressure washer in the back of the Mirage. It is holding gas and would have to lay down to fit. So, inevitably there would be a gas leak.

Seems a bit silly to tow a trailer. But if I can get 35 mpg versus 23 mpg with just a pickup truck ... why not?

And, I could experiment to see if I could really achieve 35 mpg towing that empty trailer. I figure that mpg because I fold the trailer's ramp door forward, flat against the floor and strap it down. So the drag is minimal. It would be about 800 pounds of trailer I suppose. Oh, and I relocated the license plate. I zip tied it to the very bottom left corner of the ramp gate. With the gate laid down, it can't readily be seen from behind. With the gate up, it can be seen easily. Not only was it (in)significant drag , but it was bobbing, weaving and flapping in the wind where it is shown in the pictures and eventually that would just break off. So, I decided to move it before I lose it.

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Concerns?

Name:  Lil Big Rig 1.jpg
Views: 1014
Size:  99.3 KB

Name:  Lil Big Rig 2.jpg
Views: 882
Size:  100.4 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I wouldn't do it in the car with a trailer but that's me. can you triple bag up your pressure washes so you don't get gassed out and put it in the trunk or back seat
    you must go slow to go fasssst

check us out and say hi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrU...gkC80APKc3cDrA

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's kind of big. One of those gas powered ones that you move around as if it is sitting on a dolly, if you follow. It would be difficult to bag it worth a ... you know what.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Drain the gas out, shut the petcock off, stick it in the car. Lift the seat cushion out or take out the spare tire to make it fit more betterer.
    Or tie it to the roof. Bring duct tape.

It has wheels, your car has a hitch. What could go wrong?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I doubt I could get all the gas out. I considered draining it when I was there before. No roof hauling with a bare roof.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This is one of those situations where I always planned on building a Mirage sized hitch mount platform out of some angle iron or square tube and some expanded metal.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    This is one of those situations where I always planned on building a Mirage sized hitch mount platform out of some angle iron or square tube and some expanded metal.
    Basic is on to something here. What about a hitch tray?

https://www.carid.com/curt/curt-carg...YaAh30EALw_wcB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Basic is on to something here. What about a hitch tray?

https://www.carid.com/curt/curt-carg...YaAh30EALw_wcB
    My hitch tray was about $70 on sale, it's this one;

Name:  hitch-tray.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  44.1 KB

It weights 20 lbs. and is rated for 300 bs. I've easily carried 28" cut/8hp snowblowers which weight up to 180 lpbs. No problems at all. Depending on the distance you need to cover and the savings in fuel vs. using something with 1/2 the mileage the carrier may almost pay for a good portion of itself. Just figure it out I guess. My only regret was at the time I could have purchased a 48" x 30" foldable with a ramp for $150. Much more, but so much versatile.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I have one of these & it works great, but I noticed they block the rear license plate, especially with anything on it, so I usually use my trailer. Have you had any trouble from Ontario's Finest about it & stopping you for a covered plate??? It may not be an issue, but I always wonder about the plate being covered when I use mine... Just Thoughts...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's an excellent idea. However, it costs more than $0. I prefer to spend $0, especially since I can't imagine using it much or ever again.