Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Trailer MPG experiment, or pickup truck?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    are eager to confrontationally waggle their middle finger to perceived authority just for the sake of it.
    I never intended my actions to be a confrontational waggle of my middle finger, to any authority or to anyone else. Sorry if it reads that way. The best reasoning I could say I did it was, as sort of a demonstration as to just how good this (as you say) best kept secret in the auto industry is. I'm in agreement, it is a well kept secret.

Sorry to anyone I offended with this whole thread ... or at least with my one sentence about an insurmountable wreckless clutch destroying hazard that some (I didn't say all) may think it to be. My apoligies.

7milesout

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.7 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,608 Times in 1,970 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    or at least with my one sentence about an insurmountable wreckless clutch destroying hazard that some (I didn't say all) may think it to be. My apoligies.
    This has been discussed before.

The problem isnít just that towing with the Mirage is hard on the drivetrain, though that is definitely a real thing. That aspect really only affects the owner of the vehicle and how they are willing to deal with the wear and tear and expense of replacing overpriced parts (I wouldn't expect damages caused by towing to be covered under warranty.)

Another area of concern is insurance. Since the Mirage is not rated for towing, it is not clear if any accident would be covered by an insurance company. That experiment could get very expensive to the insured not only to cover their own losses but the losses of others.

Which brings up the safety of other motorists. The Mirage was neither designed for nor rated by its manufacturer for towing. It lacks weight and size that contributes to stability. In less than ideal traffic conditions a trailer can overcome the towing Mirage and cause the two to jackknife and/or flip the Mirage (again, exacerbated by its light weight and dimensions meaning wheelbase and track width.) The brakes on the Mirage aren't designed to handle a trailer load. By the testimony of some on the forum who have showed interest in 'upgrading', the brakes are barely adequate for the Mirage and its occupants alone, much less with the added load of a trailer. The tires on the Mirage aren't rated for towing. The suspension isn't designed for towing (think ball joints, A-arms, rear suspension, all points where these components tie into the body of the car.) Any these parts could be overstressed, even momentarily, to catastrophic failure.

Vehicle dynamics are affected by a number of things. I know I don't have to explain it to you 7milesout but it bears covering in discussions like these. When braking in a forward motion, vehicle weight is transferred off the rear axle and to the forward axle (this doesn't account for cornering, just straight-ahead motion.) Hard braking can have a significant impact on rear axle traction and stability. Depending on the hitch height the weight of a trailer can contribute to lifting the rear axle in panic braking situations, causing the rear wheels to lose contact with or otherwise seriously reduce available traction. This is what leads to jackknifes and rollovers. It is my understanding that this is why hitch height is so important. The trailer should sit level when hitched to the tow vehicle. If the trailer sits nose-up, it could contribute to lifting the rear axle of the tow vehicle under hard braking situations and thus loss of traction. I'm no expert on the matter, just going by my understanding here.

Respectfully, I understand the drive to do stuff like this. It's fun to experiment. It's fun to save money learning a new use for a tool outside of its original design intent. For a screwdriver and a hammer, there's not much being risked. The risk evaluation changes dramatically when done on public roads putting others at risk. This is not unlike the reason why we have racetracks - keep the risky behavior off of public roads.

All this just to illustrate the fact that this goes far beyond risking damage to one's own vehicle, whether it be the clutch or any other component. If you want to use your property in that way, that's up to you. It becomes a greater problem when it involves others. Sorry if this is offensive to anyone, it is just another way of looking at this.

Regards.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    North Korea
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,024 Times in 2,053 Posts
    Next time tow a fifth wheel. I hear they are safer to tow.

Attachment 22026Attachment 22027Attachment 22028

Attachment 22029

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

bde269 (09-17-2021),inuvik (09-16-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    A follow up to this OUTSTANDING thread.

I went up to my dad's house again. I have signed it over to my sister. It is her house now. She wanted his computer / computer desk / file cabinet out. So I used the Blueberry and towed 5,000 pounds worth of crap back to my house. OK, I jest.

I took my dad's pickup up there and back. It is a 2003 GMC Sierra 2WD SCSB 4.8L V8 4 speed automagic.

I stopped on my way out of town and dinosaur-juiced it to the first click with 87 octane. Then I stopped at a dinosaur-juice station near my dad's / sister's house to get an accurate interstate towing mpg, and juiced it to the first click again.

• Heading Northbound.
    • Empty Trailer.
    • Trailer Gate: Strapped flat down to the trailer floor.
    • Truck Tailgate Up.
    • Holding at the Speed Limit everywhere.
    • 19.4 mpg.

Did a little around town driving taking care of some Executor bidness.

But then stopped on my way out of town and dinosaur-juiced it at the same place, to the first click with 87 octane. Got back in town and stopped at the same place I did when I left, and filled to the first click.

• Heading Southbound.
    • Maybe 800 lbs of furniture.
    • Trailer Gate Up.
    • Truck Tailgate Up.
    • Holding at the Speed Limit everywhere.
    • 16.8 mpg

A couple notes. I think the main mpg loss was due to wind drag of the trailer gate. The weight's main mpg loss contribution is going to be accelerating and pulling hills. I'm very steady on the speed. The weather and traffic were clear on both runs.

I think my truck would have matched the north run and beat the south run. Plus my truck is mo' perdier.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.7 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.3 mpg (Imp)