Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: new tires poor MPG?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    You replaced your original Enasaves at 44K miles...which were probably fairly worn at that point, right?

One thing to remember when tracking fuel mileage and you change tires is this: A new tire (of the same make/model) will always have higher rolling resistance than that same tire when it is worn out...because the new tire has more tread. Your worn out Low Rolling Resistance Enasaves were a very good tire for fuel mileage. They're lousy for everything else, but that's another story.

So you replaced a worn out Low Rolling Resistance tire with a brand new non-LRR tire. So you have 2 things going on:

1) You have a brand new tire with more tread...so it will naturally have more rolling resistance
    2) You opted for tires that aren't Low Rolling Resistance tires...so you definitely lost some efficiency there

It's possible that those 2 things together may have cost you around 10% in a worst-case scenario. I would not expect your setup to cost you 10+ mpg. I wouldn't make any judgements until you have run a few tanks of gas on the new tires.
    Couldn't have said it much better myself... thanks for saving me the trouble

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (09-13-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I don't buy the LRR hype at all, but some tires do have crappy traction & sidewall issues compared to others.
    Funny you mention this. Light sidewall construction and a specific tread block design, both of which intentionally reduce rolling resistance at the expensive of traction and sidewall strength, are exactly what make a LRR tire different from a non-LRR tire.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Basic (09-13-2021)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    crappy traction
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    But no traction lol.
    Are you using the word traction in the meaning of grip? I have hard times to imagine a tire which can't handle the output of this giant engine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,010 Posts
    I drive very conservatively. I've raced in my past so I have no need for going fast on the street where there are no flagmen giving me signals of hazards ahead. That said, I can't imagine any tire not having adequate gription for a Mirage. Maybe there could be some tires with wet roads or snow/ice gription issues ... but not dry road gription issues.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Funny you mention this. Light sidewall construction and a specific tread block design, both of which intentionally reduce rolling resistance at the expensive of traction and sidewall strength, are exactly what make a LRR tire different from a non-LRR tire.
    Don't forget the compound that everyone always complains about!

The two you mentioned are the ones most people don't know about... or choose to ignore...
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't buy the LRR hype at all
    Still waiting for what you mean by this...
    Resident Tire Engineer

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Bueller?... Bueller?... Bueller?...
    Resident Tire Engineer

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    Are you using the word traction in the meaning of grip? I have hard times to imagine a tire which can't handle the output of this giant engine.
    I find that when Dunlop Endasaves have gone past their expiry date, they have no grip, and are very squealy off the line at intersections. I drive very responsibly ..and yet I sound like I'm trying to burn rubber off the hop when the light goes green. The loud 3 cylinder on top of the tire squeal, is embarrassing.

I have noticed a 100% difference with my new Kuhmo tires to my used, bald, yet solid Dunlops. Now very smooth acceleration off the line, instead of the squeal show. Better handling in the rain too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (09-19-2021),Wil B (09-19-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Anybody seen Mark?
    Resident Tire Engineer

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Resident Tire Engineer