Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: new tires poor MPG?

https://c.tenor.com/ei8Tb8SzI38AAAAC/poke-bear.gif

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Basic (09-22-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Basic - Were you / are you an actual engineer for a tire company?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Basic - Were you / are you an actual engineer for a tire company?
    Was, Is, Am
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Cool. Can you say which manufacturer?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Cool. Can you say which manufacturer?
    Started my career fresh out of college with Continental/General, took a small detour with Carlisle/ITP, and have now happily been with Toyo Tires for going on 6 years now.
    Name:  ken-block-pikes-peak.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  103.3 KB
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's cool. I worked as a design engineer for Toyota. Very hard work. Pushed very hard by the Japanese. Long hours. No bs excuse for anything. No time spent doing one single thing that had little or no value. Never enjoyed any employer better. Because a dedicated engineer never felt more accomplished ... meaning, you got to see the results of your work, more than any other place I worked. The Japanese were great to work for. Very respectful, but didn't tolerate any snowflake mentality or action.

I worked for Hyundai-Kia as a design engineer too. I probably did 5% work of value. Threw up every night from the shock and awe of how pathetic they were compared to Toyota. And yet H-K manages to be better than Mercedes, BMW, Audi, VW. That's because H-K's mission statement is, "to copy Toyota as quick and cheap as we can." Spent a lot of time digging into Tier 1 and Tier 2 Korean vendors. Only to find out they were pathetic as well. H-K did use one vendor I was familiar with from Toyota. Murakami. Murakami made mirrors for H-K (as well as Toyota, and other items for Toyota). There were problems with the mirrors, but Murakami (a Japanese company) came in to address the issues, and made complete FOOLS of the leadership of the Hyundai plant. It was an amazing meeting I got to be in. A war nearly started. Not between Hyundai and Murakami, but internally within Hyundai as the American side of the Hyundai plant were in agreement with the logic of Murakami's argument. And the Koreans who just wanted to put their Japanese Tier 1 in their place were embarrassed and blew the whole thing up in an attempt to save face.

Anywho - I never bought a Hyundai-Kia vehicle (but would before many Euro trash vehicles), but the whole experience there made me very leary of anything Korean. They absolutely (at least at that time) would take any shortcut they could and circumvent any rule or safety guideline to do as they please. I did wheel and tire research too, with Kuhmo and Hankook tires, as well as H-K wheels. We used the Michelin plant's lab in S.C. to do x-ray, and various other research. OMG, was the quality of the Korean made wheels and tires were absolute crap.

To this day, I would never apply a Kuhmo or Hankook tire to my vehicles. Your experience may be different. And if others on here want to buy, and like Korean tires ... more power to them.

7milesout

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

mohammad (10-02-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I don't buy the LRR hype at all
    Boop. To the top.

Resident Tire Engineer