Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Justifying Enasaves...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Space Wolf - That is good info / feedback.

I'm not in need of tires ... yet. I'm at 11k miles. But I tend to like to know what I'm going to do, versus having to scramble to figure it out at the last second. But in my warm climate, I wonder if maybe that could lead to tire problems. Oh well, ya never know.

I'll take care of these tires and make them last as long as possible. But when replacement time comes, I'll be going with the Quatracs.

Thanks!

7milesout
    The Vredestein Quatrac 5 tires are listed at a lighter weight than the Dunlop Enasave tires. Quatrac 5 tires are 3PMSF rated tires (three-peak mountain snowflake symbol). If you do some driving in snow, these are a good tire to consider. My guess is they will be a softer rubber, & they may wear a bit faster than an all-season (M+S) tire. I wouldn't expect the life of the Quatrac 5 to be much difference than the Dunlop Enasave tires, but they should offer superior traction.

If you're not driving in snow, I think there are better choices for about the same money. Lately, Dunlop Enasaves have been running about $161/tire, which helps other look like a good value.

I lost a Dunlop Enasave to a sidewall blow out @ 15,000 miles. To keep tires the same on each axle, I bought a pair of $40 Federal SS657 tires at the time. I found no difference in economy, & they offered slightly better traction when new. I wouldn't say the Federal lasted any longer than the Dunlop, but they were 1/3 the cost at the time of purchase. I am not seeing the Federal tires being offered that much lately. Federal have gone up in price and some other options have appeared on the scene, too.

I can't spout out great claims about tires, because I haven't had 4 matching tires on my Mirage since the summer of 2018 (last 40,000 miles). I currently have a pair of newer Nexen tires up front & my old Dunlop Enasave tires on the rear. Don't make the assumption that I got 55,000 miles out of my Dunlop tires. I have 4 different pairs of tires, & I only use the Dunlop tires in the rear during the summer months. My Dunlop tires are quite worn, & they won't be used after this summer is done. Dunlop tires make me uneasy. I carry an extra full size tire in my Mirage when I do longer trips.

So far I am impressed with Nexen N'Priz AH5 (460AA/50,000 mile) tires. They are listed the same weight as the Dunlop Enasave tires and are usually about half the price ($76 @ Walmart today).

I have a pair of Kumho Solus TA31 (500AA/60,000 mile) mounted on rims ready to go (they will replace the Dunlop tires eventually). I feel these may be the best value ($63/tire @ Walmart today) for a 165/65r14, but I haven't used them yet. This is how Kumho describes this particular tire -

"The Kumho Solus TA31 is a passenger touring tire with a symmetric tread design. This tire is one of the most versatile touring tires on the market because it combines all-season performance with premium ride features. The tread pattern delivers a rare mix of comfort and all-weather driving performance all while being engineered to last longer. The wide shoulder blocks deliver a soft contact edge with the road for better steering and traction as well as enhanced corner gripping. The symmetric tread pattern reduces vibration and noise while offering reduced fuel consumption. Mileage is not sacrificed by the advanced dual compound which delivers comfort and superior steering response."

I am not making any claims here about being a tire expert. I am also not making any bold claims about fuel economy with any of these tires. I am experimenting with different 165/65r14 tires, but that takes years not weeks. Even with that, I currently don't own 4 matching tires. This winter my Nokian Nordman 7 snow tires will go up front, & the brand new Kumho tires will go on the rear. I will move the Kumho tires to the front the following spring, & my Nexen will go the rear. I take care of my tire rotations this way, & I have cloned sensors in 4 of my 8 tires (codes can be changed if needed).

Unlike Space Wolf, we don't have as many 165/65r14 tire choices. Likewise, Top Fuel's point about considering 175/65r14 tires is legit. That gives one lots of choices to pick from.

Speaking of the 175/65r14 Falken Sincera SN250 A/S tires, which do have a great rating (700AA/80,000 miles). Discount Tire continued to list this tire in a 165/65r14 size for quite some time. I continued to question them on this. I asked to see an actual pic of the tire & everything. They were claiming they were 80,000 miles tires, but the reality most likely was these were the Sincera SN250A A/S (320BB/no warranty offered) tires that Mitsubishi is putting on their 2021 Mirages.

I politely asked them to list the tire properly on their site, because I felt they were misleading their customers by all this. After about 5 emails over the course of a few months, they dropped the tire instead of fixing the listing of it. Or it's just blocked from me seeing it. I wasn't asking them to drop the listing. I was asking them to represent it fairly to their customers. Oh well, that didn't work out I guess.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I got 44k out of my enasaves. If it wasn't for the alignment problems making my front right tire more worn out than the others, they could have easily made it to 45k+.

I had two flats with the enasaves. Both were due to road debris and were patched for free at Goodyear. I never noticed any massive traction problems and I had no problem with the handling. Even with some curb rash and potholes I had no sidewall problems.

The one thing I did have is they never seemed to keep PSI well. I had to add air much more than with previous cars. I will keep checking with my new tires to see if it's an enasave specific problem.

I liked how the Kumho TA31 is the correct size, also they come with 60k mile warranty. It may be $60 a tire but they should last longer also leading to lower installation costs. Getting them installed at Walmart is only $15 a tire with lifetime balance/rotation. The initial MPG results I have seen are a bit concerning though. Also measure your tread depth of these from the factory. Mine was off by 20% and Walmart refunded me 20% for them.
    Last edited by Mirageman38; 09-15-2021 at 04:51 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mirageman38 For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (09-16-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,392 Times in 1,009 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I lost a Dunlop Enasave to a sidewall blow out @ 15,000 miles.
    I would love to know if there was some contributing factor (that you may be aware of) that lead to the blow out. Or do you just chalk it up to tire defect? I've heard of several Enasave blow outs. Which leads me to believe it is the tire itself, versus any kind of contributing factor.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I would love to know if there was some contributing factor (that you may be aware of) that lead to the blow out. Or do you just chalk it up to tire defect? I've heard of several Enasave blow outs. Which leads me to believe it is the tire itself, versus any kind of contributing factor.
    There was no reason for the sidewall to fail. It was on the rear driver's side at the time. I was just driving to town on some country side roads (approximately 40 mph at the time). I still have the other one in my garage with 15,000 miles on it. The other two have survived without issue so far, & they are near the end of their life.

At $161/tire, the decision is easy. If they were the same price as the Nexen or Kumho, I still don't think I would buy the Dunlop tires. I wouldn't hesitate to try the Dunlop Winter Maxx snow tires, however. If available, I may try the 165/65r14 Federal Himalaya Kattura snow tires some time.

Next year, I see myself using the Nexen & Kumho pairs during the summer months. I may try a pair of Vredestein Quatrac 5 tires with my pair of Nokian Nordman 7 snow tires during the winter months.

I don't see myself having a matching set of tires any time soon. My AWD Forester has summer & winter sets of tires that match each other. For an AWD vehicle, that's more critical.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Sidewalls on my cheapo Barums Brillantis2 tires are as tough as a tank track lol.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Sidewalls on my cheapo Barums Brillantis2 tires are as tough as a tank track lol.
    There's one big problem that may be hard to overcome when recommending the 175/65r14 Barums Brillantis 2 tires -

If you go to buy them @ Discount Tire you will find -

Product has been discontinued!

I wanted to look up their weight tonight, & I noticed this.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (09-16-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    There's one big problem that may be hard to overcome when recommending the 175/65r14 Barums Brillantis 2 tires -

Did they? They sold well for Discount Tire from what the store manager told me.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks

Jeez the next cheapest option us $50 a tire!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Did they? They sold well for Discount Tire from what the store manager told me.
    If you look up Discount Tires 175/65r14 tires, it's at the top of their list of best sellers.

It doesn't say "out of stock" either. "Product has been discontinued" seems more permanent.

Who knows what happened?

Tires like the Barums & Federals need to priced lower to be appealing. Last time I saw a Federal SS657 tire listed, it was priced as high as the Nexen & Kumho tires. Then it just seemed to disappear. Walmart, simpletire.com, & tires-easy.com had been selling them for years. Now, I'm not seeing them any more. When they were $40-45/tire, the Federal tires were a good option to consider. If they are $70+, I would buy the Nexen or Kumho tires instead.

Maybe the Barum tires also took a big jump in price, & Discount Tire decided to drop them?

Currently, the Westlake RP18 ($51/tire) is Discount Tires lowest priced 175/65r14 tire. There was a forum member who has expressed good comments on this tire. I also seen negative reviews of Westlake tires. After that you are jumping to $70-80 for 175/65r14 tires (Hankook,Toyo, Cooper, Falken, & Kumho) @ DT. In my mind, those are more recognized tire brands.

Overall, tire prices have gone up just like a lot of things. Increased shipping costs are impacting things, too. The days of finding decent $40-50 tires in 165/65r14 or 175/65r14 tire sizes may be gone?

$62.80 will buy you a Kumho Solus TA31 (500AA/60,000 mile) tire (@ walmart.com) today. Walmart does free mounting of tires bought through them. They charge $14 for lifetime balancing of tires ($12 one time balance). Disposal of tires is $1.50 for my area at least. I was charged $31 to have two tires mounted, lifetime balanced, and disposal of old tires this summer. Nothing extra was added. They will do tires from elsewhere, but the charge is $25/tire (you lose the free mounting part).

The push to consider 175/65r14 tires was because more affordable options were available, or in some cases members just want to try a larger tire on their Mirage. A 175/65r14 will still give you more choices, but not necessarily cheaper ones these days. Somewhat proven brands like Hankook, Nexen, Kumho, Mastercraft (made by Cooper), Yokohama, Uniroyal, & General are going to be in that $60-85 price range @ Walmart for 175/65r14 tires.

Compared to $160+ Dunlop Enasave tires, those prices still don't look bad.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (09-19-2021),Dirk Diggler (09-16-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    If you look up Discount Tires 175/65r14 tires, it's at the top of their list of best sellers.

It doesn't say "out of stock" either. "Product has been discontinued" seems more permanent.

Who knows what happened?

Tires like the Barums & Federals need to priced lower to be appealing. Last time I saw a Federal SS657 tire listed, it was priced as high as the Nexen & Kumho tires. Then it just seemed to disappear. Walmart, simpletire.com, & tires-easy.com had been selling them for years. Now, I'm not seeing them any more. When they were $40-45/tire, the Federal tires were a good option to consider. If they are $70+, I would buy the Nexen or Kumho tires instead.

Maybe the Barum tires also took a big jump in price, & Discount Tire decided to drop them?

Currently, the Westlake RP18 ($51/tire) is Discount Tires lowest priced 175/65r14 tire. There was a forum member who has expressed good comments on this tire. I also seen negative reviews of Westlake tires. After that you are jumping to $70-80 for 175/65r14 tires (Hankook,Toyo, Cooper, Falken, & Kumho) @ DT. In my mind, those are more recognized tire brands.

Overall, tire prices have gone up just like a lot of things. Increased shipping costs are impacting things, too. The days of finding decent $40-50 tires in 165/65r14 or 175/65r14 tire sizes may be gone?

$62.80 will buy you a Kumho Solus TA31 (500AA/60,000 mile) tire (@ walmart.com) today. Walmart does free mounting of tires bought through them. They charge $14 for lifetime balancing of tires ($12 one time balance). Disposal of tires is $1.50 for my area at least. I was charged $31 to have two tires mounted, lifetime balanced, and disposal of old tires this summer. Nothing extra was added. They will do tires from elsewhere, but the charge is $25/tire (you lose the free mounting part).

The push to consider 175/65r14 tires was because more affordable options were available, or in some cases members just want to try a larger tire on their Mirage. A 175/65r14 will still give you more choices, but not necessarily cheaper ones these days. Somewhat proven brands like Hankook, Nexen, Kumho, Mastercraft (made by Cooper), Yokohama, Uniroyal, & General are going to be in that $60-85 price range @ Walmart for 175/65r14 tires.

Compared to $160+ Dunlop Enasave tires, those prices still don't look bad.
    I'll be buying those Westlakes next for sure. $50 + $20 mounting fee per tire is still a good price IMO. Walmart flat out refuses to mount any thing that isn't OEM size in my experience. I had a shouting match with their tire service center over this as the guy didn't even comprehend the concept of being within 3% differential!