Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Justifying Enasaves...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts

No Justification for Enasaves...

Guys,

Below is just some rough math. By my calculations, *if* Enasaves are 5.0+ mpg BETTER than Quatracs, then the $'s justify Enasaves.

Here's the assumptions:

• Tire Life: Assuming 45,000 miles on each set of 4 tires (Enasaves and Quatracs).
    • Cost: Enasaves installed + taxes & fees (my area) = $773.04
    • Cost: Quatracs installed + taxes & fees (my area) = $400.21
    • Fuel Cost: $3 per gallon. More some places, maybe less others.

Based on all that,

The tire costs of the Enasaves plus the fuel costs for 45k miles @ $3 per gallon @ 45 mpg = $3,773.

The tire costs of the Quatracs plus the fuel costs for 45k miles @ $3 per gallon @ 40 mpg = $3,775.

The point is, I find it hard to believe that the Enasaves are 5 mpg better (average across the whole life) than the Quatracs. I would have to think the difference would be more like 2 mpg better for the Enasaves, and therefore they would NOT be worth the premium.

AM I WRONG ABOUT THE 5 MPG DIFFERENCE? Could the Enasaves be that much better?

Last edited by 7milesout; 09-15-2021 at 01:33 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Guys,

Below is just some rough math. By my calculations, *if* Enasaves are 5.0+ mpg BETTER than Quatracs, then the $'s justify Enasaves.

Here's the assumptions:

• Tire Life: Assuming 45,000 miles on each set of 4 tires (Enasaves and Quatracs).
    • Cost: Enasaves installed + taxes & fees (my area) = $773.04
    • Cost: Quatracs installed + taxes & fees (my area) = $400.21
    • Fuel Cost: $3 per gallon. More some places, maybe less others.

Based on all that,
    The tire costs of the Enasaves plus the fuel costs for 45k miles @ $3 per gallon @ 45 mpg = $3,773.
    The tire costs of the Quatracs plus the fuel costs for 45k miles @ $3 per gallon @ 40 mpg = $3,775.

The point is, I find it hard to believe that the Enasaves are 5 mpg better (average across the whole life) than the Quatracs. I would have to think the difference would be more like 2 mpg better for the Enasaves, and therefore they would NOT be worth the premium.

AM I WRONG ABOUT THE 5 MPG DIFFERENCE? Could the Enasaves be that much better?
    Considering that you save a whole $2.00 by using the Enasaves using your math i wouldn't consider ever using them even if they did save you a whole heap more than $2.00. I had a total of 6 flats before dumping the Enasaves for Federals and they were absolutely terrifying in the rain. Since switching to the Federals I've never had a flat since and my experience is I lost about 2 mpg's with the Federals.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The point is not $2. That's just a break even point. $2 is the same as $0 (break even) in this scenario.

The point is that the Enasaves would have to be 5.0+ mpg better than the Quatracs. Which I think there is no way.

I guess the real subject of the thread should have been ... there is NO WAY to justify Enasaves.

I totally believe you about the problems with the Enasaves. I'm guessing with my warmer climate and probably higher average speeds then some, that unless the Enasaves have been improved, I'm probably going to have a problem with them before 45,000 miles.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    The point is not $2. That's just a break even point. $2 is the same as $0 (break even) in this scenario.

The point is that the Enasaves would have to be 5.0+ mpg better than the Quatracs. Which I think there is no way.

I guess the real subject of the thread should have been ... there is NO WAY to justify Enasaves.

I totally believe you about the problems with the Enasaves. I'm guessing with my warmer climate and probably higher average speeds then some, that unless the Enasaves have been improved, I'm probably going to have a problem with them before 45,000 miles.
    Most owners won't get nearly 45k out of a set of Enasaves. Mine were absolute toast @40k miles.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts

Save yourself some real money and go to Discount Tire and get some cheap 175 65 r14 Barum Brillantis2 tires for $40 a tire. I couldn't be happier with these off brand Czech tires. They're tough, have a deep tread, and 175s fit the wheel well better IMO. No tire rub and they're grippy as hell. My mpg did drop a bit. Driving like a crazy Atlantan I'm avg about 38mpg. I got them on the G4 too.

Unhappy

I'm doing Grubhub pretty hardcore (7 days a week 5-7 hr days 90 miles per day avg). My brakes and tires are wearing out fast.

I picked up these Enasaves for $200 complete. Hopefully they don't give me any trouble.

I've read some negative experiences from some members.
    Name:  PXL_20210816_221800639~2.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  93.2 KB

7. The Following User Says Thank You to davidricardo86 For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (09-18-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Enasaves aren't bad tires, per se. They are just a 'one-trick pony'. Mpg is all they do well. Ride quality, wet traction, tread wear, sidewall strength, cost...it all sucks.

If you can get a different tire that does everything else better for much less money then the mpg advantage becomes moot, as was explained. It isn't a bad idea to eschew the Dunlops even though you will be reminded you don't have them on every time you look at your mpg in the Multi-Information Display.

I will only buy them used.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    In my experience you won't see 5mpg difference. In the autumn of 2019 I had to exchange my stock tires. Can't remember what that were, but it were LRR's. Economy is important for me, but I'm also to lazy to change tires twice a year, so it had to be all-seasons. Further Germany had mandated snow tires in winter weather, and I often drive in Germany, so that all-seasons also had to be 'snow-certificated' (if that is a word). Quatracs met the requirements, except that they had a 'D' rating for fuel efficiency, while my stock tires were 'B' (on a scale from A to E, being A the best. There are no A tires in this size), so I was afraid for my economy.
    But actually they turned out to be equal, or better. You can see it in my fuel log. You can't point where I changed tires, but the economy has more or less been rising since I have that car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Space Wolf - That is good info / feedback.

I'm not in need of tires ... yet. I'm at 11k miles. But I tend to like to know what I'm going to do, versus having to scramble to figure it out at the last second. But in my warm climate, I wonder if maybe that could lead to tire problems. Oh well, ya never know.

I'll take care of these tires and make them last as long as possible. But when replacement time comes, I'll be going with the Quatracs.

Thanks!

7milesout

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Are you willing to change your tire size slightly?

Falken Sincera SN250 tires are available in a 175-65-14 and will last almost twice as long as the Quatracs for roughly the same cost.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)