Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Justifying Enasaves...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I'll be buying those Westlakes next for sure. $50 + $20 mounting fee per tire is still a good price IMO. Walmart flat out refuses to mount any thing that isn't OEM size in my experience. I had a shouting match with their tire service center over this as the guy didn't even comprehend the concept of being within 3% differential!
    The Westlake tires may be ok, but ....

6 Worst Tire Brands to Avoid Buying 2021 (Don’t Buy These!) - article below

https://mechanicbase.com/tires/tire-...id-purchasing/

"Hangzhou Zhongce Rubber Company manufactures Westlake's tires at their state of the art manufacturing plant in China. The tires are sold under the Westlake Tires banner throughout the United States and Canada." May 7, 2021

I am only sharing information, not an opinion.

My situation is different than your situation. I have 8 tires for my Mirage, & I don't give Walmart my car. I drop off two worn out pair of tires and have them mount/balance the new ones. I go back & pick up the new tires a few hours later.

I also have my own Autel TS408 ($122.08 @ JBTools) device to change codes on my cloned sensors. If my 10 year old sensors should die on my Forester, I can clone replacement ones now. Since I have 16 tires for my two vehicles, I justified buying the device. My local tire guys don't seem that up on cloning sensors. I've already cloned 8 new sensors for all my extra wheels. The savings of dong it myself has probably paid for the device already. Lifetime updates for the device and TPMS not going away any time soon made it even more appealing.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (09-20-2021)

We have run westlake winter tires on the sonics. I've never had a problem with them. We run them on med duty trucks in 17.5" and 22.5's they work, might wear out a little sooner than expected but have nothing else to compare them to. Hate to spend big money on tires when vehicles are bounced into curbs daily lol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    We have run westlake winter tires on the sonics. I've never had a problem with them. We run them on med duty trucks in 17.5" and 22.5's they work, might wear out a little sooner than expected but have nothing else to compare them to. Hate to spend big money on tires when vehicles are bounced into curbs daily lol.
    If they were terrible, Discount Tire probably wouldn't carry them (as their more affordable tire).

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    My situation is different than your situation. I have 8 tires for my Mirage, & I don't give Walmart my car. I drop off two worn out pair of tires and have them mount/balance the new ones. I go back & pick up the new tires a few hours later.

I also have my own Autel TS408 ($122.08 @ JBTools) device to change codes on my cloned sensors. If my 10 year old sensors should die on my Forester, I can clone replacement ones now. Since I have 16 tires for my two vehicles, I justified buying the device. My local tire guys don't seem that up on cloning sensors. I've already cloned 8 new sensors for all my extra wheels. The savings of dong it myself has probably paid for the device already. Lifetime updates for the device and TPMS not going away any time soon made it even more appealing.
    As a DIY'er, I've always wanted to get a TPMS service tool like this. I have a set of steel wheels/tires and a set of alloy wheels/tires. I'm just not familiar with all the terminology and functions needed from said tool to work with the Mirage.

From your experience, is this the best and least expensive TPMS service tool needed for the Mirage if using different sets of wheels/tires?

I started reading about the Autel TS408 and what it can do. Some have recommended the TS508 instead. Is this necessary for our Mirages? Is the OBD function a must? I plan on using this tool on my family's Toyotas, Nissan, Honda and my Mitsubishi.

As for the TPMS sensors themselves, what should I be on the lookout for? What is compatible with the Mirage and the Autel tools? I see Autel sells their own sensors but there are other brands too.
    Last edited by davidricardo86; 09-20-2021 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davidricardo86 View Post
    As a DIY'er, I've always wanted to get a TPMS service tool like this. I'm just not familiar with all the terminology and functions needed from said tool to work with the Mirage. From your experience, is this the best and least expensive TPMS service tool for the Mirage if using different sets of wheels/tires?

I started reading about the Autel TS408 and what it can do. Some have recommended the TS508 instead. Is this necessary for our Mirages? I have a set of steel wheels/tires and a set of alloy wheels/tires.
    I believe Mark used the Autel tool to "clone" (make duplicate sensors). The one downside I found with the autel tpms tool is that you can only program or clone the proprietary autel sensors. The Autel tpms tool might be cheaper than other brand tools and I assume that's why.

I've got the Autel Ts401, it'll clone and program the sensors themselves but can't do anything with the cars tpms computer(if that makes sense). So you can clone(copy) your old sensors id numbers onto new sensors and the car won't know the difference and won't have to touch it.
    I usually use an Auteq tpms tool because it'll program many different brands of sensor that I can source locally quicker and cheaper than the autel sensors.
    I think a better word typer could explain it more better er.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As a DIY'er, I've always wanted to get a TPMS service tool like this. I have a set of steel wheels/tires and a set of alloy wheels/tires. I'm just not familiar with all the terminology and functions needed from said tool to work with the Mirage.

From your experience, is this the best and least expensive TPMS service tool needed for the Mirage if using different sets of wheels/tires?

I started reading about the Autel TS408 and what it can do. Some have recommended the TS508 instead. Is this necessary for our Mirages? Is the OBD function a must? I plan on using this tool on my family's Toyotas, Nissan, Honda and my Mitsubishi.

As for the TPMS sensors themselves, what should I be on the lookout for? What is compatible with the Mirage and the Autel tools? I see Autel sells their own sensors but there are other brands too.

If you haven't looked over the thread by Top Fuel, I would start there -

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...-cloning-etc-)

I bought 8 of the Autel MX-Sensor 2 in 1, & I cloned 4 of them to my 2011 Subaru Forester factory sensors and the other 4 to my 2017 Mirage factory sensors. It's very simple. I'm not a fan of technology, & I had no issues. I've switched all 4 wheels on both vehicles twice now, and neither vehicle even notices the change of wheels. I compared prices @ Walmart, Amazon, & eBay at the time of buying the sensors.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/222130732568

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Autel-TPM...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I shopped around for the Autel TS408 tool. JB Tools was the best deal at the time. You can surely explore that more.

https://www.jbtools.com/autel-ts408-...BoC4nYQAvD_BwE

Hopefully, Top Fuel can address the advantages of the Autel TS508. The TS408 is very simple to use. You can scan your factory sensors, it stores them, you can program each stored code into a new Autel MX-Sensor.

MX-Sensors can be reprogrammed, too. Just need to release the air pressure on them to reprogram a different new code.

The Autel TS-408 will only clone Autel MX-Sensors, but it will most likely read any sensor that you want to clone/copy. Plus, it comes with free lifetime updates for any future vehicles you may own.

I am not a big fan of TPMS. I felt this was the most affordable way to keep the system working. I use 16 different wheels for my two vehicles, and I don't have to do anything extra when I change out wheels now. As long as the vehicle is reading the four stored codes, it's happy!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Hopefully, Top Fuel can address the advantages of the Autel TS508.
    If your main goal is to clone your existing TPMS sensors so you can have 2 sets of tires with the same TPMS sensor IDs, then the 408 will do the job perfectly. That tool is a great value because you can get future software updates on it for free.

The 508 comes with an OBDII cable so you can connect to the car's TPMS computer to pull TPMS codes and upload TPMS sensor IDs. However...these OBDII functions of the 508 don't work on a Mirage! Unless they have made some major changes, you aren't communicating with the Mirage's ETACS/TPMS module using any manufacturer's $199 tool. But if you are just cloning sensors, you won't have a need to deal with any TPMS functions via the OBDII port.

So don't waste your money on a 508 unless you have another Asian vehicle (Nissan/Honda/etc.) with a TPMS system that you might need to diagnose in the future using the OBDII hookup.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (09-21-2021),Mark (09-21-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    If your main goal is to clone your existing TPMS sensors so you can have 2 sets of tires with the same TPMS sensor IDs, then the 408 will do the job perfectly. That tool is a great value because you can get future software updates on it for free.

The 508 comes with an OBDII cable so you can connect to the car's TPMS computer to pull TPMS codes and upload TPMS sensor IDs. However...these OBDII functions of the 508 don't work on a Mirage! Unless they have made some major changes, you aren't communicating with the Mirage's ETACS/TPMS module using any manufacturer's $199 tool. But if you are just cloning sensors, you won't have a need to deal with any TPMS functions via the OBDII port.

So don't waste your money on a 508 unless you have another Asian vehicle (Nissan/Honda/etc.) with a TPMS system that you might need to diagnose in the future using the OBDII hookup.
    Thanks Top_Fuel and Mark for the heads up!

When you say clone your existing TPMS sensors, you mean cloning the OE sensors to Autel MX sensors correct?

So far what I've learned is that these Autel TPMS tools can only "program" Autel MX sensors, but can position "relearn" just about any sensor.

Free future software updates is definitely a bonus. Besides my Mirage, i wanted to help out my family with their car's if they ever have TPMS issues. It's not a must, but it would be nice to do.

Is this what you meant by these TPMS tools can't talk to the Mirage's TPMS ECU? This video mentions something similar to what you brought up regarding Mitsubishi.

Last edited by davidricardo86; 09-21-2021 at 07:21 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    When you say clone your existing TPMS sensors, you mean cloning the OE sensors to Autel MX sensors correct?
    Correct. You can clone using Autel's MX sensors or they also have something called a "1-Sensor" that can be programmed.

...these Autel TPMS tools can only "program" Autel MX sensors, but can position "relearn" just about any sensor.
    Correct. You must use an Autel "programmable" sensor if you want to clone your sensors with an Autel tool.

The Autel tool can "trigger" almost any TPMS sensor out there. So it can help you do a "relearn" on a lot of cars...except for Mirages and a handful of other vehicles that require an OBDII connection for the relearn process.

I wanted to help out my family with their car's if they ever have TPMS issues.
    Chances are pretty good that you will be able to help out with this tool. You would still be able to clone a sensor in most cases. There are just some odd-ball TPMS systems out there that require a more expensive scan tool for relearns...like the Mirage. But as long as you can clone a sensor, you will never have to do a relearn!

Is this what you meant by these TPMS tools can't talk to the Mirage's TPMS ECU?
    This video mentions something similar to what you brought up regarding Mitsubishi.
    That's exactly what I'm talking about! Unless Autel has updated their tools (which is always possible), they will not communicate with a Mirage computer through the OBDII port for TPMS servicing. What they are demonstrating in that video absolutely won't work on a Mirage...unless they have made some changes in the last couple of years. Again...that's possible.

I've emailed Autel several times about this over the last few years. In the past they acknowledged that their TPMS tools don't work on a Mirage. However...it's possible that they have finally corrected this. Here's what their coverage chart says for the TS601 tool:

Name:  autel_chart.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  55.9 KB

According to that chart, the TS601 can do OBD relearns on a Mirage. I have seen manufacturers make that claim before. If you decide to buy a more expensive tool like the TS601, be sure it has a good return policy...because there's a reasonable chance you'll be sending it back.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 09-21-2021 at 08:10 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

If you're only planning to clone sensors then I don't know if I'd bother spending the extra money on a tool that probably won't work if you want to program the car itself. Besides if there is a tpms problem it's usually a sensor fault with you can figure out by just reading the sensor with cheaper(ish) hand held tpms tool. If you are just cloning then I'd buy the cheapest tool you can find that'd clone sensors.