Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AC Recirculate Playing Up

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

AC Recirculate Playing Up

Last week I collected my brand new mirage. At first I was really impressed with the cooling ability on 80f + days.

I left it on auto and had no issues. Around the 4th day of ownership I could not get the air to switch from Recirculate to fresh air.

I disconnected the battery to program the foglights and the next day the fresh air mode works fine.

What I have noticed is that the air is not as cold as when it first arrives. I have it set on 62f, fresh air and max fan and it's only just comfortable. I have it booked at the dealership later in the week.

Any experienced similar issues?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Redoubt View Post
    Last week I collected my brand new mirage. At first I was really impressed with the cooling ability on 80f + days.

I left it on auto and had no issues. Around the 4th day of ownership I could not get the air to switch from Recirculate to fresh air.

I disconnected the battery to program the foglights and the next day the fresh air mode works fine.

What I have noticed is that the air is not as cold as when it first arrives. I have it set on 62f, fresh air and max fan and it's only just comfortable. I have it booked at the dealership later in the week.

You got it set on 62°? That's awful hard on that cheap little French compressor we all have. I live in Hotlanta and set mine @ 70° / 1 bar of fan speed it blows just fine. Is there a possible tiny leak?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Run it @ a slower fan speed. The air has to have time to cool off going thru the evaporator & just leave it on "Auto" or in recirc & it will be more efficient. Blasting hot, humid outside air thru the A/C @ a high fan speed wont allow the air time to cool off...& it works better to cool the air that has already been cooled when you run "Recirc"...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

On my driver's education car (Impala) - If I have the dial set to maximum A/C, it automatically goes to recirculated air. It I turn the dial two clicks from the maximum A/C setting, it automatically switches over to the fresh air cycle.

If the A/C button is turned on, two clicks from the maximum A/C (on the temperature dial, not the fan speed) is the only way I can get fresh air in that car. If the A/C is off, the temperature dial can be on maximum cold & the fresh air vent will stay on.

I have manual climate controls on my Mirage. A lever controls your recirculated/fresh air, & you have total control over it. I would pay extra for manual climate controls!

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    If its on auto the recirculation is also in auto..if its the same with pajero sports long pressing the recirculation button to close it even in auto.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts

Redoubt - I don't think you need to have a dealer make it worse. That's just how it is. On 95° degree days, your not going to be able to run Fresh mode with A/C and stay cool enough. Also, if it is set at 61°, it will not go into Fresh mode, it is stuck on Recirc ... maybe you know this already. Switching from 61° to 62° allows it to be set at Fresh or Recirc. It's stupid. I wish I had the manual HVAC.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Setting the automatic climate controls to their extreme temperature settings will activate maximum fan speed among other parameters. If the operator calls for maximum cooling, that’s what they get. Same for maximum heat. It works great and takes less fiddling, allowing the driver to pay more attention to driving.

More details on the automatic climate controls can be found in the owner’s manual.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Setting the automatic climate controls to their extreme temperature settings will activate maximum fan speed among other parameters. If the operator calls for maximum cooling, thatÂ’s what they get. Same for maximum heat. It works great and takes less fiddling, allowing the driver to pay more attention to driving.

More details on the automatic climate controls can be found in the ownerÂ’s manual.
    I can have my A/C set at maximum cold temperature, & a simple slide of a lever (don't even need to look at it) will make it fresh or recirculated air. I find manual climate controls to be much less distracting & extremely simple to use.

If I find myself in a dusty situation, just slide the lever over & slide it back when past it.

If my windows fog up during a rainstorm, I can clear them in less than 30 seconds with manual climate controls. Owner's manual not needed.

I realize most Mirages have auto climate controls. Compared to all the vehicles I have used with auto climate controls, I prefer the simplicity of the manual controls. I find them easier to use & less distracting in most situations.

As far as this thread goes, reading your owner's manual is the best suggestion.

When the temperature is set to the highest or the lowest setting under the AUTO operation, the air selection and the air conditioning will be automatically changed as follows.

Quick Heating (When the temperature is set to the highest setting)
    Outside air will be introduced and the air conditioning will stop.

Quick Cooling (When the temperature is set to the lowest setting)
    Inside air will be recirculated and the air conditioning will operate.

If one wants to go outside the auto settings, one may find it more distracting to manipulate while driving. I could be wrong, but it seems that way to me.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Or the operator can simply set their desired temperature and let the automatic climate controls take care of the rest. The only change I would recommend is to shut off automatic air conditioning to save fuel and wear & tear on the AC compressor.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Or the operator can simply set their desired temperature and let the automatic climate controls take care of the rest. The only change I would recommend is to shut off automatic air conditioning to save fuel and wear & tear on the AC compressor.
    That's why they call it automatic climate controls. In all fairness, I am not addressing his concerns either.

Some of these things I find much easier to manipulate & control with manual climate controls. If someone wants A/C with fresh or recirculated air, those things are very easy to change. You slide a lever without having to take your eyes off the road to change it.

If my windshield is fogging up, I can direct a mix of warm air & cool fresh A/C air to my defrosters within seconds. It literally starts clearing your windshield in a matter of seconds. I may look down to push the small A/C button, but I can control everything else quite simply with the dials. Under those circumstances, I prefer regulating the heat, fan speeds, & direction of air flow myself.