Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: My engine is effered

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    So far so good. It's alive. I dumped 5 qts of cvt fluid in the hole and it still reads low. It's fine....I took it for a quick drive and it drove like a car.

Edit: had to go for a booze cruise to pick up some celebratory beers. Noticed a clunk coming from the rh front when on the throttle after switching directions. I'll look at that later. Otherwise it does drive much nicer than before. No more having to floor it to accelerate like a normal car. It seems to have a hair more low end torque. Just overall drives better.

Now that the engine isn't hammering away I notice the exhaust is now squeaking at one (or two) of the joints before or after the cat. I recall someone else having that problem and they gobbed some shmooh on it.
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!! You solved the mystery of the early 2014s! You sir, are a scholar and a gentleman, I salute you! Now, when my CVT7 fails, I can tell the Aamco guy to fly a kite if he insists I have to special order a new pre-04/01/14 CVT7 for $6k! Bwahahahaha! Man I wish we could hang out! I got a passport, I'm coming to Alberta dammit!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

craigq (09-25-2021),CROSSBOLT (11-01-2021),Fummins (09-27-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Nice work Fummins
    2018 Mirage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Next project we need you to tackle for S&Gs is a manual swap... I'll provide the beer money.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Nice going, Fummy. Thanks for the info & the photo dump (seriously).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-27-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Nice going, Fummy. Thanks for the info & the photo dump (seriously).
    After looking at all those pics, I'm less impressed with myself (doing my own oil changes doesn't really compare).

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I couldn't stand driving the truck another day. Slowly throughout the week it seemed to be getting harder to start. I pretended to blame it on me not waiting for the pre-heat(glow plug) light to go out before cranking it. Then on Friday it took a couple tries before it'd start. So that's great, most likely another bad injector sticking open and loosing rail pressure which can wash out the cylinder. Kinda like what the Mirages
    Car drove fine this morning. I took it easy being possibly low on transmission fluid. I checked it again after 20 mins of driving, it doesn't even register on the stick Do these hold 6 or more quarts? I already poured in 5. It does shift nicer than the old one. With the old cvt if I'd come to a rolling stop to make a right turn then hit the throttle, often it would jerk violently as if it was doing a neutral drop or it was really low on fluid.

I'll have to tighten the belt up a little to fix one squeak. Then on to the exhaust. And I'm pretty sure the airbox is making noise too. And whatever that clunk was between drive and reverse isn't noticeable anymore. Maybe it did it all along. I'll pretend it didn't happen.
    Arguably the greatest series of posts for CVT owners on here period. This proves you don't have scrap the whole car, if you have engine or powertrain failure, because of OEM costs and proves total interchangeability for all model years. Well done Fummins!

Send beer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (11-01-2021),Dirk Diggler (09-27-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Spun a rod bearing...completely thrashed...crank is damaged.
    Ouch. I wonder if these things have a potential oiling issue under certain conditions (high RPMs)...or was this just poor maintenance from a prior owner?

Name:  bearing.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  63.9 KB

Great photos by the way. This thread is going to help someone years from now who is looking at a used Mirage with a "minor" engine knock...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

expertninja (03-01-2023),mohammad (09-27-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts
    ...the pre-heat(glow plug) light to go out...
    I thought you had a Dodge with a Cummins? When did you get an inferior engined truck with glow plugs?

Maybe you just need a new set of spark plugs. Diesel fuel tends to foul them out...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)