Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My engine is effered

My engine is effered

I just blew the engine in my Mirage was cruising along at 60mph and noticed it was kind of a dog, more than usual. Engine was a little knocky, like it was detonating. No it was knocking…. Pulled over, didn’t see any oil or coolant. Limped it the rest of the way home…

sure would be nice to have a hoist that I ordered from
    Babco in February right about meow.
    Now do I buy a used motor and cvt, just a motor or kick it to the corner and buy something else…

https://youtube.com/shorts/B_DavJ1ZLfY?feature=share

Last edited by Fummins; 07-05-2022 at 08:43 PM. Reason: re-added clip

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Now do I buy a used motor and cvt, just a motor or kick it to the corner and buy something else
    What are used engine / trans assys worth??? You're going to look after the labor, Correct??? Do you have any of those auctions that sell insurance wright-offs??? If you're not in a hurry & the rest of the car is decent, I'd fix it. If you're in need of a set of wheels, well...https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars...6325?undefined
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-17-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I just blew the engine in my Mirage was cruising along at 60mph and noticed it was kind of a dog, more than usual. Engine was a little knocky, like it was detonating. No it was knocking…. Pulled over, didn’t see any oil or coolant. Limped it the rest of the way home…

Now do I buy a used motor and cvt, just a motor or kick it to the corner and buy something else…
    Dammit man that sucks! And here we thought it would be the ole CVT7.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Yeah, I didn't think it was gonna make it home lol. I'll take a video of it sometime. I want to see if I can get a motor and transmission to drop in it. If I can borrow a hoist at my buddies shop I'll drive it there(hopefully) and maybe just blow it up before swaping it. Or just tear it down and see wtf happened. If I buy a wrecker engine they're gonna want a core so hopefully I get one from work.

Right now it sounds just like the white car did but 100,000,000x worse. It goes away for a fraction of a second with just the slightest bit of load on it.
    I was at Karl's (Dodge Aries K) this summer. I bought a Mirage Curt hitch from him. He had a nice Mirage engine with CVT sitting in the front of his garage. I think he pulled it from a local salvage yard, & he was interested in selling his Mirage related items.

Not sure how you would ship an engine/transmission from Illinois to Canada, however?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,010 Posts
    What a deal. That is if it spins round and round and keeps doing that for a while...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-27-2021),mohammad (09-18-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

You shoulda took it in to the dealer and got that free new engine months ago... tsk tsk

Maybe still try that
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Do you think it is possible to just zip the pan off and replace the rod and/or main bearings?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I dunno, possibly. If I could get bearings on the cheap by Friday I’d consider it. But I’d still have a 290,000km engine.
    The pan is crazy easy to pull off. At least it looks that way. Attachment 22010
    How is the compression? If it is decent the engine might be worth saving. Having a 6000km engine in a 290000km car is nice...but it is still a 290000km car. Bearings would be way cheaper than a replacement engine, and I am not sure I would want to get too deep money-wise into a car with that mileage even if you got it for next to nothing.

Pulling the pan and giving the bottom end an inspection can't really hurt. It does look almost comically easy! If you pull the rod caps and find a wiped bearing but good journals I'd skip the new motor. Put $100 worth of bearings in it and if the engine still hammers, at least you tried.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    2014 with 290,000kms knocks bad. I'll post updates here instead of the other thread.

Maybe someone with superpowers can move the other posts from the what did you do to your Mirage thread over here.

I'm thinking if I can get a low mileage transmission for cheap I might just swap both at the same time.

One nearby import yard wanted $1000 for the engine and $1000 for a transmission with "4000km".

Next I called LKQ in Ponoka. They've got a 2017 engine with 6000km for $750 and one with 96,000km for $500($100 core). They also have a cvt with 3000km for $500($75 core). So if I keep the cores for science I'll be looking at $1500 all in for a drivetrain with under 6k(4kmiles). And still be into the car for under $2000. And then I could actually sell it if I wanted to and not worry about waking up to a house fire!

I'm not positive the cvt will work since I've got the unicorn early production 2014 cvt. If it doesn't I'm sure I could either return it or resell it and get back most of my money for it.

I thought you might jump @ the thought of putting a 6-cylinder in that Mirage of yours? If you only have $2,000 (plus you time/wisdom) in a Mirage that has less than 6,000 km on the powertrain, that would qualify as ultimate cheap, dependable transportation in my book! Don't know what book I am referring to, but you get my point I hope!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-15-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Oooh those are some angry noises. What about bringing it in for free engine under service campaign? It's worth a shot?

-Karl B. No Mirages currently...