Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My engine is effered

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I bet I wouldn't have this problem had I ordered bearings
    Don't be too sure. Getting any parts for these cars is iffy. The guy at the parts counter might well have handed you bearings for an '86 Fiero because, "The database says they are the right ones".

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Almost looks like those fins got hit by a pressure washer.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Damn that engine got really mad. Those bearings are toast!
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Spun a rod bearing on the middle cylinder. It was completely thrashed, crank is damaged. They used some oddball dinky bolts for the rod caps. A 12point 5/16(8mm) socket worked. The main bearings are inverted torx. I tried a 3/8 6 point but stripped one out. I’m
    I’m
    Not sure if I’ll keep it around and try to part it out or get my $100 core back.
    Lkq $hit the bed and didn’t deliver the parts yet. Might see them on Tuesday…
    Ooof. Well, now you know!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    They used some oddball dinky bolts for the rod caps. A 12point 5/16(8mm) socket worked. The main bearings are inverted torx. I tried a 3/8 6 point but stripped one out.
    Looks almost like a triple square, the German manufacturers seem fond of those.

Thanks for the photos Fummins !

edit: had to google the difference , it's all in the angles apparentlyName:  Screen Shot 2021-09-19 at 8.48.20 AM.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  18.8 KB
    2018 Mirage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to craigq For This Useful Post:

Christopher_B (09-22-2021),Fummins (07-05-2022)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Yeah, I've heard of triple square bolts but haven't ran into them before. I remember working on some VW's that used to require a trip to the rape wagon to buy some specialty sockets.

Aparently my fog lights are in the mailbox. I ordered these September 7th and they came from China to Central Alberta in under 2 weeks. Free shipping! I used the same ones in my previous 14'.

I also ordered a small draft inducer motor for my furnace on the 4th($20 shipping) from Illinois and last time I checked it was somewhere in Ontario. I thought China was further, and things are taking forever to get delivered because......you know.

At least I can install the lights while the bumper cover is off.
    You think you got a chance of being able to drop in a newer CVT7 in your 2014? I called around a few trans shops and one said it would have to be a pre 04/01/14 and another said they didn't know but they didn't see why not.

So far I didn't notice any obvious differences. Yet... Unless someones tried it already we don't know?

I know sometimes mfg's would change part numbers every year for no known reason even though they would interchange across various years.

IIRC the cvt cooler for the early 2014 is different from the late 2014 and later. I haven't gotten the "new" one yet but I'll take a close look and compare the two before bolting it all together. Might even change the cartridge filter because I have one.

I don't see any problems. I'm using a 2017 engine and 2017 transmission. They'll bolt together and fit in the car fine. As long as all the sensors have the same plugs and the pinout on the big round plug for the valve body is wired the same as mine I think it'll be fine. I didn't check if axles and starters were the same from early 14 to 2017...It'll be fine.

I'll start taking donations for this worthy cause that can possibly help ten's of people that may consider scrapping their rare(=$$valuable$$) early production cvt(urd) Mirages.

I looked again at a Mitsu parts site. Found some more part# differences between early 14' and late 14 and newer. Both the cartridge filter and metal strainer filter in the pan have different part numbers. 2014 and 2015(and later) have different oil pan part numbers but they use the same pan gasket. Weird..

Early Cartridge: 2921A011 Late: 2921A007

Early Pan filter: 2824A017 Late: 2824A021

2014 Oil Pan: 2705A036 2015-20':2705A051

Early cvt cooler: 2920A500 Late 2920A501
    Last edited by Fummins; 09-20-2021 at 09:08 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    So far I didn't notice any obvious differences. Yet... Unless someones tried it already we don't know?

I know sometimes mfg's would change part numbers every year for no known reason even though they would interchange across various years.

IIRC the cvt cooler for the early 2014 is different from the late 2014 and later. I haven't gotten the "new" one yet but I'll take a close look and compare the two before bolting it all together. Might even change the cartridge filter because I have one.

I don't see any problems. I'm using a 2017 engine and 2017 transmission. They'll bolt together and fit in the car fine. As long as all the sensors have the same plugs and the pinout on the big round plug for the valve body is wired the same as mine I think it'll be fine. I didn't check if axles and starters were the same from early 14 to 2017...It'll be fine.

I'll start taking donations for this worthy cause that can possibly help ten's of people that may consider scrapping their rare(=$$valuable$$) early production cvt(urd) Mirages.

I looked again at a Mitsu parts site. Found some more part# differences between early 14' and late 14 and newer. Both the cartridge filter and metal strainer filter in the pan have different part numbers. 2014 and 2015(and later) have different oil pan part numbers but they use the same pan gasket. Weird..

Early Cartridge: 2921A011 Late: 2921A007

Early Pan filter: 2824A017 Late: 2824A021

2014 Oil Pan: 2705A036 2015-20':2705A051

Early cvt cooler: 2920A500 Late 2920A501
    Very nice post Fummy! I can say with confidence the aux paper filter and drop pan filter from any year will fit in a pre 2014 CVT7. My Aamco guy said he just ordered the filters from Nissan lol. I'd love to know the % of early 2014 CVT7 hitting 300k km. I bet its a decent % in our favor, but f#ck, what do I know?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Fummins - Excellent post. In your statement above, KNOWN is the key word. In my tenure as a design engineer for Toyota (I absolutely loved my experience there), the Japanese beat it into our heads that they never EVER wanted to release an engineering change. Don't get me wrong. They did release changes. Many. But their target was to NEVER release one. Which is to be translated to: That's why we beat the living crap out of you engineers to get it right from the start, pay attention to your testing, etc.

That said, every single part number change had a very good reason for it. But the less a customer could distinguish the change, the better. Now that was Toyota. Hyundai-Kia on the other hand, just fired off change after change after change, until they felt it was good, or good enough. But again, every part number change had something behind it. I wouldn't know how Mitsubishi would do it, but I suspect it to be more like Toyota, due to their Japanese brains, than being more like Hyundai-Kia.

Your posts are very inspiring. I'm sitting on the edge of my chair in anticipation of the end result, and I hope it is a complete success.

7milesout

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-10-2022),MetroMPG (09-27-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Update: It's been over a week now. Still waiting for engine and cvt to get delivered. Called the junkyard yesterday and they said it's scheduled to be delivered today. Again.

Why do things always take longer when you're in a hurry for it?

I was only charged $100 core on the engine and $50 for the cvt. I might try to part out the engine, oil pan, timing cover, intake etc...Maybe the "new" engine will come with the cat/exhau$t manifold?
    What year is the engine/cvt? How many miles on them?