Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Subwoofer enclosure is built

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Subwoofer enclosure is built

I've been working on an enclosure to finally get a good system in my daily driver. Good is relative and i want audiophile SQ, and great soundstage / imaging.
    Used the huge spare tire well like OEM options do but wanted to maximize space.
    It will have a single Hybrid Audio 12" and retain the spare.
    Name:  20210914_154102.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  95.1 KB
    Started with a mold of the well that then got fiberglassed to maintain shape.
    Name:  20210906_140004.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  96.8 KB
    Name:  20210827_150751.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  97.7 KB
    Then i stretched cloth over the top to form the shape and glassed it all together.
    Box weighs 25.2lbs and fits like a glove since the bottom picks up every ridge and contour of the floor.
    Name:  20210906_171225.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  95.2 KB

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillAce For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (09-17-2021),Fummins (09-14-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Not much interest in this sort of thing but I figured I'd share the finished trunk with grille on place. No loss of space. Next step is the front stage, planning mids in factory door location and pods on the A pillars for the tweeters.Name:  20210919_142544.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  98.4 KB

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillAce For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (09-19-2021),twister77 (09-20-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Any concerns about debris collecting on your subwoofer in that location? Might become buzzy sounding.

Edit: Nice work by the way.
    Last edited by Eggman; 09-19-2021 at 07:25 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Not really. The sub is angled toward the back and I havr an extra floor carpet if i was going to put anything back there that's dirty. I'll vacuum that when i do the car it will lift up and take another minute or two. The doors will probably be the more annoying buzzy part that has to be addressed.

I was considering a shallow mount 8" sub and the cargo box mod between the spare and the fiberboard.
    I really like what you have done here.
    How did you make your mould for this?
    Did you coate the inside of the tire well with release agent and lay fiberglass directly into the cavity?

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ret_Marine2003@Yahoo.com View Post
    I was considering a shallow mount 8" sub and the cargo box mod between the spare and the fiberboard.
    I really like what you have done here.
    How did you make your mould for this?
    Did you coate the inside of the tire well with release agent and lay fiberglass directly into the cavity?
    Name:  JBL_BASSPRO_HUB_13477_FS_x2-1605x1605px.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  84.2 KB
    Name:  NBF150A-01_600x.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  20.5 KB

you can but a spare tire mounted speaker.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I used car wax over the metal first then used plaster of paris cloth to make a mold that i could fiberglass outside the car. Even epoxy resin will smell a little and can make a mess in the car. It picks up the shape perfectly for a tight fit plus the spare tire helps hold it in place. I also brushed resin on the underside of the plaster cloth so it would be as solid as the fiberglass cloth/mat

Quote Originally Posted by BillAce View Post
    I used car wax over the metal first then used plaster of paris cloth to make a mold that i could fiberglass outside the car. Even epoxy resin will smell a little and can make a mess in the car. It picks up the shape perfectly for a tight fit plus the spare tire helps hold it in place. I also brushed resin on the underside of the plaster cloth so it would be as solid as the fiberglass cloth/mat
    Thank you for the first hand info.
    I never thought of making a plaster mould of the tire well.
    I like that Idea much more than the JBL spare.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No problem. With the spare tire still present you can probably get enough air space for a pair of 10" subs and fit them between the spare tire and back seat where the OEM sub would sit.

Quote Originally Posted by BillAce View Post
    No problem. With the spare tire still present you can probably get enough air space for a pair of 10" subs and fit them between the spare tire and back seat where the OEM sub would sit.

That is what I am thinking. I have changed out the factory speakers with some MTX speakers that Crutchfield recommends for the factory system.
    I used Noico and leftover Fat Mat on the spots that vibrated and used two layers of underlayment to pad the carpet and insulate the entire floor from front to back. I used a layer of underlayment under each door panel as well. I thought that I could use some additional carpet padding but it was hard enough to get the carpet back in place over the underlayment. I also put the center piece in it.