Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Axle still an issue on 2021?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Axle still an issue on 2021?

I've not been active on this site in a few years, since my 2014 Mirage ES was totalled in an accident and I replaced it with a new 2018 Hyundai Elantra. I've been having A LOT of reliability issues with the Elantra though, and the 6spd auto is horribly behaved for city driving, which is 70% of the driving I do.

I'm toying with the idea of selling the Elantra now to take advantage of the inflated pandemic value, driving my bulletproof 2007 GMC Canyon work truck well into 2022, then hopefully using the cash from the Elantra to buy a new Mirage to replace the Elantra, if good deals can be had again. Remember when you could buy a Mirage loaded for $12k? That's what I'm talking about. If not, I'll just stick to my truck. The Mirage isn't worth anywhere near the MSRP they're asking.

The engine and transmissions in the Mirage seem to be quite bulletproof. I highly value reliability. My only reservation with buying another new Mirage is the rear axle defect that affected my 2014. Is it still a problem with the current new Mirages? There's no way I'll touch another Mirage if it's an ongoing defect that owners just have to live with. It's too big and expensive of a problem to shrug off. The thought of buying a new sideways driving car, eating through tires with the only solution being to roll the dice and spend over $1,000 on a new axle that may be defective as well, is not acceptable. Even if it's caught and covered under warranty, since the replacement axles have historically been defective too, that indicates there's no real fix for the issue and I'd be stuck with the problem for the life of the car. So I'm looking for reassurance that Mitsubishi has addressed the axle defect and new models seem good moving forward.

That depends on who you ask. I haven't seen any odd tire wear on the almost 40 2015-2019 mirages at work. My 2 2014's seem fine. One had 50k when I sold it and the current one has almost 300,000km.

To make you feel better you could just get the alignment checked before you buy one.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts
    I have a 2020. It doesn't seem to have an axle issue. I had heard about it. But I'm assuming whatever the problem was has been corrected. I worked for Hyundai-Kia, in design. And was located at their Montgomery plant, as well as their West Point, GA Kia plant.

I saw the shenanigans that was going on there. I went to Korea many times. The shenanigans was not limited to the U.S. plants.
    I worked for Hyundai-Kia after working for Toyota. People don't believe me, but compared to Toyota, Hyundai-Kia was a laughable friggin joke.

And yet Hyundai-Kia was better than nearly every European car made. People poo-poo American made cars, but for real, crap comes out of Europe. I'd have a Porsche, or any of the exotics. But I would never own a BMW, Mercedes, Audi, VW, Maserati. Well, maybe a Maserati, but would have to have plenty o' money ready for repairs.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palebeachbum View Post
    My only reservation with buying another new Mirage is the rear axle defect that affected my 2014.
    I remember your problem and even used it as an example in the rear axle FAQ.

Reports of excessive tire wear and rear alignment problems seem to have died down over the last couple of years. Is that because they finally tightened their quality control? I don’t know. They apparently still don’t do a great job setting the front end alignment.

This guy recently posted his 2021 alignment readings. His rear axle numbers looked great, but his front end was slightly out of spec...and he said his steering wheel wasn't centered properly.

So I'll still give you the same advice I would have 6 years ago. If you buy a new Mirage, don’t assume anything about the alignment. Take it to a shop that does free alignment checks. That will only cost you some time.

edit - My rear axle numbers on my 2015 aren't exactly perfect...but they are within spec. I managed to get 93,000 miles out of 1 set of tires on my car. So don't let this issue scare you off.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 09-15-2021 at 07:37 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I paid $12,800 for my 2021 ES. I haven't noticed any pulling to the sides on mine.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Redoubt For This Useful Post:

Eggman (09-16-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My 2018 hasn't had any alignment issues, judging by the even wear across each tire's tread.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to timw4mail For This Useful Post:

Eggman (09-16-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timw4mail View Post
    My 2018 hasn't had any alignment issues, judging by the even wear across each tire's tread.
    I bought my 2018 new & had my alignment checked before the 1st service & it looked great. They gave me the print-out. They were all in the center part of the green on all 4 corners
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    As was mentioned, the rear axle issue doesn't really seem to be much of an issue anymore. If you are considering a new Mirage you will certainly know what to look for when you drive it since you have experienced this issue before.

Worst case scenario is the rear axle is out of spec and it is replaced under warranty. The difficult part about the early axle issues was getting Mitsubishi to recognize it was a manufacturing defect and cover it under warranty.

That mountain has been climbed already, so there is little to fear about buying another new Mirage.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    haven't heard of axle issues on mirage, the only issues i have with the axle is bad workmanship on the assembly line where they fit the nut wrong damaging the threads.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a 2019 Mirage hatchback and had the alignment checked at around 40k miles, and while it wasn't perfect it was still within specs.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PireFenguin For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (09-19-2021)