Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mechanic! Tell us about your TX relocation!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post
    Inuvik, Seven,
    . . . . You don't want to do this. A cooler thermostat will not lower the maximum temp if the thermostat is working correctly. Seven you are correct in your assumption that it will only make the engine run cooler in cooler temperatures. I.E. Temperatures below 85F. The thing is is that these engines are designed to run at 190F. If you run them at 180 then they will burn more fuel and the engine wear will go up because of fuel washing oil off the cylinder walls. The higher the operating temperatures up to the point that things start to warp or when the oil temperature starts to exceed to 250 the better the fuel mileage. The answer is more airflow, lower under hood temperatures, and more cooling capacity, I.E. a bigger radiator. These radiators are just big enough for 100 or 105F. Higher than that and there just isn't enough cooling capacity! People who live in hot climates and don't take care of their cooling systems are going to have all kinds of problems when the car is 3 or 4 years old. IMO!!
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!
    This is interesting. We don't really hear a lot from consistent high temperature regions. Mods: do we have any members from Arizona? Or the Middle East?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Atomic,
    . . . . Well I am debating whether or not to keep my Mirage. If I keep it I am going to improve the suspension, cooling, add Oil Pressur, oil temp, voltmeter, Amp meter, and manifold pressure gauges, add aluminum wheels, and turbo it!
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!
    2019 G4 Wine colored. 'Burgundy'
    130K miles, 37MPG average at 75-80 MPH with A/C and Lights
    I am on the second engine and trans! 4.5 months out of 18 in the shop!
    Not so happy any more!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post
    Atomic,
    . . . . Well I am debating whether or not to keep my Mirage. If I keep it I am going to improve the suspension, cooling, add Oil Pressur, oil temp, voltmeter, Amp meter, and manifold pressure gauges, add aluminum wheels, and turbo it!
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!
    "Cheaper to keep her" has never been more true than nowdays with the runaway inflation/supply issues. If you do, let us know how all your modifications turn out.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    "Cheaper to keep her" has never been more true than nowdays with the runaway inflation/supply issues. If you do, let us know how all your modifications turn out.
    I'm agreeing with this. And then some because of the current car craziness. I don't think I'd do all those mods myself. Except maybe the cooling capacity and underhood temps. Especially because of the need to run the A/C all the time. I get it. My dad had to have a lung operated on, well a lobe removed due to cancer. After that, the temp he breathed had to be just right. Or he felt he was about to pass out. In the winter if the heat from the vents was too strong it would get him. In the summer if the cooling wasn't sufficient it would get him. So yeah, the weird under 25 mph underhood heat you're dealing with, I agree with what you've described (venting) to vent that heat out so your A/C works effectively. But unless you're planning on hauling heavy again (like you just did), I'd bleeve I'd be too concerned about the overall cooling ... especially since you have 2 fans already.

I can't imagine there being a mo' funnuh car to modify (in this auto climate) than the Mirage. I'm very conservative though, so I wouldn't make any modifications that might seriously impair the reliability. Unless racecar. Or way far out of warranty, and approaching worthless in value. Then I might turbo it. But in my case, I'd F all that turbo stuff up, and wind up ruining the car and pushing it off a cliff.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)