Thread: Latest alignment problems

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Latest alignment problems

As I have mentioned in other threads I got new tires. Due to this and the front right being more worn out (and the steering wheel slightly off to the right) I got another alignment done at a local shop. They said they needed to install adjustable bolts. Here are the results

After this alignment it's been maybe a whole week and the alignment is clearly off again. The steering wheel is back to the right a bit. I am frustrated at this point. I have had 6+ alignments on this car granted 3 were at pepboys. I have had more alignments on this vehicle than anything else. Not sure what to do at this point.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,010 Posts
    I would be frustrated too. Do you have a Mitsubishi dealer local that it could live at until it is straight?

I wanted to mention that the way roads are paved, there's a 2° road slope (I think it is 2° without looking it back up again) for 2 lane roads. 2° sloped away from the center. So between the RH lane and the oncoming lane, there is 4° total difference. This is the target anyway.

Of course it is for water drainage. I think there's an exception to road slope in left hand turns. Then as I recall, the whole road (both lanes) are sloped 2° or greater to the inside of the turn for a) water drainage, and b) to promote positive steering.

Once an interstate gets to 3 lanes going in one direction, the fast and middle lanes are sloped at 2° and the outside (slow) lane is sloped at 4°.

Some of that is beside the point, but anywho, the point is, a bit of pull to the right is normal ... due to road slope. Just a bit. However, your situation seems altogether different, and not related to road slope.

I don't know if your steering wheel is off to the right because it is pulling to the left, or if it is tracking straight but perhaps the thrust angle is back out of spec again.

In any event, I can imagine your frustration, and hope you get it corrected...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just went through this last week with my 2018 Mirage (83,000 miles.) Ordered 2 front tires from Tire Rack and the 'local installer' was the Pepboys 2 blocks from my house. I had the tires installed and the mechanic mentioned I might want to get an alignment due to the uneven wear on the old right front tire. I said go ahead.
    Well I have to say, the car tracks like a dream now (even better than before) and my steering wheel which was off to the right, is back to new-car center position. Even though I'm pretty meticulous when maintaining this little buggy, it's gone through a lot in 83,000 miles and the occaissional pothole incident with little wheels are what probably threw the alignment off.
    Wil B.
    Broadview, IL

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wil B For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (09-18-2021),inuvik (09-17-2021)