Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: cooling fan intermittent

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,388 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Christopher_B - I think it is possible to convert to R134a. And yeah, it might be worth it ... if you have a leak. I don't believe the AUTO climate control system varies the A/C system hardware nor varies the phase change process, it just mucks up the controls of heat blending and fan speed.

I agree with your concerns for shock to system components from frequent on/off. Since I now realize this system is a 1234YF system, I will not be trying to check or correct my refrigerant level ... as that stuff is "spensive." Depending on what I see on a new Mirage, I may let a dealer play with those refrigerants. I'd say my car is perfectly fine ... I just want to make sure about the compressor noise I'm hearing. It's not obnoxious, but it is noticeable ... to me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chos98 View Post
    Sorry, yes, it was green and goes off.
    The check engine light is on constantly though. (just started yesterday) The fan goes on and off when the a/c is on. Doesn't seem normal as every other car I've owned, it stays on always with the a/c on.
    No obd2 reader here, so it seems to be related to the fan I'm guessing.
    Is there a way to check if it is fan or relay or???
    Mirage fan will cut on and off intermittently while ac is on, totally normal for this car.
    Check engine light? Go buy AutoZone or advanced Auto and get them to scan the code

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GotMirage501 View Post
    Mirage fan will cut on and off intermittently while ac is on, totally normal for this car.
    Check engine light? Go buy AutoZone or advanced Auto and get them to scan the code
    This discussion is over 2 years old, and he shared what the problem was within the thread -

The dealer said it showed no codes, but was the "gas cap", and it wouldn't clear the code???. Eventually they did clear it.
    Got a free car wash inside and out though, so I guess there's that lol.

P.S. I wasn't looking for a diagnosis on here, just was more curious about the cooling fan situation.

Thanks all.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

mohammad (01-24-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,388 Times in 1,007 Posts
    I'm about to let a dealer touch my car.

On Friday they're going to install a new compressor. Mine has always made a loud whining noise. The dealer agreed (months ago) that it was too loud. It took them 3 or 4 months to receive a new compressor.

Will post back if the new one is mo' quieter.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-24-2024),inuvik (01-24-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I'm about to let a dealer touch my car.

On Friday they're going to install a new compressor. Mine has always made a loud whining noise. The dealer agreed (months ago) that it was too loud. It took them 3 or 4 months to receive a new compressor.

Will post back if the new one is mo' quieter.
    Warranty work, recall work, or a class action lawsuit requiring free work being done are all good reasons to let a dealership touch your car.

My 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage has seen the dealership once for a recall. Even then, I made an effort to return it to White Bear, which is about 4 hours away. I scheduled the recall repair during one of my Devils Lake, North Dakota fishing trips. I stopped by the dealership (first & only time ever), got the recall done in less than an hour, took advantage of their free car wash, & I was on my way to North Dakota.

My hope is that my Mirage will never see a dealership ever again!

Good luck with your new compressor. It's good to have those types of things done during warranty. Prior to reaching 300,000 miles, I believe the A/C compressor was the only major thing Steve had to replace on his "cheap plastic car".

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

inuvik (01-24-2024),mohammad (01-26-2024)