Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cooling fan intermittent

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I know my fan starts up as soon as I turn on the A/C. But I couldn't say if it stays on full time (with A/C on) or not. I would think the fan has different fan speeds. Yet when I first turn on the A/C, the fan comes on as loud as I ever hear it, so it must start on it's highest setting. But I've never took note if that fan stays on or if it stays on high.

A stop by the dealer if you're under warranty would be wise. I for one would be interested to hear how it goes.
    I was able to "squeeze" in an appt. for tomorrow morning. Will post results as soon as I know.

The dealer said it's normal for the fan to power on and off when the a/c is running. (different than most cars apparently)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chos98 View Post
    I was able to "squeeze" in an appt. for tomorrow morning. Will post results as soon as I know.

The dealer said it's normal for the fan to power on and off when the a/c is running. (different than most cars apparently)
    My fan doesn't run all the time when I use my AC either.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    My fan doesn't run all the time when I use my AC either.
    I had to edit my post where I wrote the "the fan runs all the time with the ac". I make too many have written sentences and huff too many exhaust fumes. Again.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The dealer said it showed no codes, but was the "gas cap", and it wouldn't clear the code???. Eventually they did clear it.
    Got a free car wash inside and out though, so I guess there's that lol.

P.S. I wasn't looking for a diagnosis on here, just was more curious about the cooling fan situation.

Thanks all.

Good to hear.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Cooling fan turns on with the a/c compressor to cool the condenser. If you have your a/c set on outside air it'll run longer duration I've found. However, if your engine is hot.. you'll hear it running till the engine coolant reaches a low enough temperature then return to kicking on with the compressor.

The green temp light is normal during warmup. If you see it red, you got problems. Check engine light will clear itself after a set number of warmups when the computer detects the issue is no longer occurring but will still store the code as history. The check engine light is also normal while having the ignition on but engine off and for a few seconds after starting the engine.

Only time I've had my fan running continuously was when my a/c clutch relay failed and the compressor was stuck engaged so my fan ran non-stop. Luckily I noticed it quickly before it blew my compressor and pulled the relay and got a replacement from NAPA for about $9. This was on my 2019 with 40,000 miles roughly at the time.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The fan on my '21 runs off and on while I drive with the AC on even in mild temperatures. I believe it comes on and off with the clutch. It sure cycles constantly. I would think it was low on refrigerant if it didn't blow so cold. I haven't paid too much attention in the warmer months but I will continue to pay attention because it sure is loud. I just started it with a cold engine and it cycled with the clutch. I will try again after a 30 min drive and see how the fan runs. I normally run it in the AUTO mode, however just now it acted the same with AUTO mode off.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,416 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Christopher_B - I confirmed (from my earlier reply) that my fan does cycle off and on just as you describe. I don't know if the compressor is turning on and off at the same time. It could be. In my automotive learnings, I was always told the compressor should turn on and stay on if the system is charged correctly (while the A/C is ON). But that was 10+ years ago when I was in automotive. At the same time, I notice sometimes when I'm driving with the A/C on, I feel a sort of jolt of extra power while accelerating ... I have to believe it is the compressor being decoupled and I'm feeling the power that had been being consumed by the compressor, being used to drive the car.

For years, I had to conduct A/C audits on fresh built Kia plant vehicles. But we didn't get into exactly how the system worked, we were auditing charge quantity. My guess is, times change. I suppose it is possible that it could be set up to cycle (the compressor) on and off in order to be more fuel efficient. If it stayed on continuously (when A/C ON) it would use more fuel. There are more expensive compressors that have compression stages (I forget how exactly it was termed), and it could increase or decrease compression. Less compression when demand was less in order to save fuel. Those compressors stayed on the whole time. Those compressors are more expensive. So I would imagine to keep the Mirage "inexpensive," a more simple compressor (on / off only) would be implemented.

I just wish our A/C system had a sight window. It would make it apparent immediately if the system were running like it is supposed to. I have the equipment to pull a vacuum and accurately measure the refrigerant added to the system. I'm very tempted to just go ahead and do it. But ... this is a 1 year old car. I hate to mess with it. I should just break down and go drive a new one and see if it does the same thing and is as noisy as mine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    radiator fan speed varies on temperature just listen to it during idle when the compressor clicks the fan speed also increases when the compressors unload the fan speed also decreases the fan is ECU controlled because it needs to maintain certain operating temperature, based on experience when the thermostat gone bad the the fan will keep on running at full speed because the exchange of cold and hot coolant is already compromise so the system will detect high temperature and command the fan to speed up.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I know what you mean about the power surges occasionally, although I never have paid attention to frequency. This is the first car I have owned with the new 1234YF refrigerant. If I ever have a leak I imagine I will attempt to convert it to the R134a if it is even possible with the AUTO climate control system. I suspect there could be sensors that would have to supply certain values that might not be seen even if the sensors were changed to match the refrigerant. I do not have the equipment for the 1234YF but I do have the equipment for the R134a.
    My biggest concern is the shock to the fan motor and compressor with all the stop starts. My compressor/rad fan runs for MAYBE 5 seconds and then off for about the same length of time. Rinse and repeat.