Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steering wheel noise when turning it to a certain degree

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    The noise in the video certainly does not come from the column. Take your time to read the above posts for understanding!

The following pictures of a slightly different steering gearbox were taken from Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steeri...orm_and_sector

Attachment 24170

Attachment 24171

The lower picture shows the die-cast block in its hole that pushes onto the rear of the rack, pushing it onto the pinion; the spring inbetween block and nut; the actual nut for adjustment and the crown securing it.
    On our cars the nut does not have a six-sided head, but rather a crown shape. The securing nut is four-sided, size 43mm.
    i actually said "if" i did not confirm it. your so sure that its a rack en pinion then problem solve, you solved it, in my experience rack en pinion issues in mirage you can also hear that tok sound when in a rough road because when the wheel bounces it pushes the tie rod therefore when there is an excessive play on the rack you can heard it on the steering column but his problem as i read is tok sound on a "certain degree", there a lot of linkage in there you have the 2 tie rod end and 2 tie rod bar, either of this four is bad you can experience the same problem.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by allrock View Post
    i actually said "if" i did not confirm it. your so sure that its a rack en pinion then problem solve, you solved it, in my experience rack en pinion issues in mirage you can also hear that tok sound when in a rough road because when the wheel bounces it pushes the tie rod therefore when there is an excessive play on the rack you can heard it on the steering column but his problem as i read is tok sound on a "certain degree", there a lot of linkage in there you have the 2 tie rod end and 2 tie rod bar, either of this four is bad you can experience the same problem.
    I had assumed the inner and outer tie rod were OK.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

mohammad (09-16-2022)