Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine noise. Update: fixed by belt replacement

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Engine noise. Update: fixed by belt replacement

I recently had my belt changed because when the car is cold and up to 3 or 4 miles I’m getting a noise from the passenger side. If I could describe it, it’s a small shriek when she’s starting then at idle no sound. When I start to drive it sounds like a combination of chirping and rattling. The belt is adjusted correctly.

Does it go away or get quieter with the ac off?
    The aircleaners like to rattle on these cars. There's lots of way's to jerry rig them with duct tape, washers and zip ties.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Same with the AC on, I took off the part of the air cleaner that shakes long ago.

Have you tried running it for a few minutes without the belt to eliminate any of the other pulleys and eliminate the belt(or improper tension) from being the noise?
    Does only when your driving or does it do it while stopped too.

It'd be better if you could just post a video of the noise. Save a ton of back and forth random questions and answers. Maybe get a shot of the top of the belt from the alternator to the crank too if you can(with the ac on and engine running{obviously}).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It only does it when driving unfortunately. I’ll try to get a video up.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by silverstreak View Post
    It only does it when driving unfortunately.
    This may not be a belt issue if it only makes the noise while driving.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Gotcha, then it's probably not an engine noise if it only does it while moving. How about when you rev it up while parked?

Could be anything from backing plate scraping the back of the rotor(very common when outer edge of rotor has a crust of rust), cv joint (click when turning?), heat shield on cat, wheel bearing, wear indicators on inner brake pads?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Once she’s gone 3 or 4 miles it’s gone.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Check this post by Foama. https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...-Tension-Howto The belt on the Pumpkin made lots of Funky noises until I adjusted it as per Foama's spec's. Your belt may feel tight, but when you do the "Ping" test, you may find it needs more tension... Try it & let us know...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just went through this issue earlier this year.. original belt started slipping so instead of replacing with an OE belt I went with a Continental OE Technology Series 4060485. Huge mistake. I chased this F%$king noise for weeks. Taking the belt off and cleaning the pulleys, belt dressing, adjusting the tension at least 8 times.. yes I tried the "plucking" method. NOTHING kept the noise away from coming back. Only happened at initial startup and at exactly 2,000-2,100rpms. Finally after weeks of frustration I ordered a Gates K060483 cleaned all my pulleys again and installed the new belt. Set the tension, no noise. Went back and checked the tension about 100 miles later was still good. 6 months later still haven't touched the belt and has never made a noise since.

If you're trying to get a video of the noise, the only way I way able to get mine to do it in the driveway was to quickly punch of throttle letting it quickly bounce just above 2,000 rpms then drop off. Like very quickly punch it then completely off the throttle. You should also see between the alternator and crank the belt flops and chirps if you're having the same issue I did.
    Last edited by PireFenguin; 09-23-2021 at 07:29 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PireFenguin For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-23-2021)