Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the New Ford Maverick and on what your next vehicle will be

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spadesheart View Post
    The mirage is fantastically efficient, but part of the low refill costs are the tank also being tiny. My old Sentra would get 700-800 km off a tank without hypermill-y driving. I rarely get anywhere near that on the Mirage. Hell in the winter im lucky to get 500-550 sometimes.
    Except for hybrids, you're not gonna see the fuel economy numbers your basic Mirage will get for you. I wonder if maybe a Prius, but again it's expensive.

And then you think that a new Maverick is around $25,000 USD, so twice the cost of my Mirage. I want to see the owners real world experiences getting Ford's reported 45 MPGs. But glad that is the direction things are going, especially if gas is gonna be over $2 a litre, Mirage owners are gonna be the bigger winners. But people who are on a tight budget and can't afford a new Prius or hybrid truck etc., they are the ones who suffer. Anyways off topic lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    ...But people who are on a tight budget and can't afford a new Prius or hybrid truck etc., they are the ones who suffer. Anyways off topic lol
    I doubt I understand what you meant by suffering? So If I for example am going to buy new 2022 mirage es 5mt for $15k OTD, does that mean I will suffer in cost of ownership only cuz I cannot afford a $24k OTD of the 22 Mavericks that would greatly return in investment via fuel cost?

Please clarify. I am being open minded and am trying to understand your POV better.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Except for hybrids, you're not gonna see the fuel economy numbers your basic Mirage will get for you. I wonder if maybe a Prius, but again it's expensive.

And then you think that a new Maverick is around $25,000 USD, so twice the cost of my Mirage. I want to see the owners real world experiences getting Ford's reported 45 MPGs. But glad that is the direction things are going, especially if gas is gonna be over $2 a litre, Mirage owners are gonna be the bigger winners. But people who are on a tight budget and can't afford a new Prius or hybrid truck etc., they are the ones who suffer. Anyways off topic lol
    I don't think it's off topic. When we discuss our future cars, we're kind of discussing what we expect our future to be. Hybrids aren't new anymore. There are tons of fairly priced used ones out there, and there will be more coming. And the Mirage is still here and a good deal used (though I believe absolutely not a good deal new at this point.) If you aren't considering fuel economy into your future daily driver purchase at this point, you're likely being quite wasteful.

Math discovery incoming:

Let's just take my Mirage ownership for example and compare it to an average SUV, which my parents have been telling me to buy since I got the thing. My Mirage probably averaged less than 5.5 L/100 km, but lets just say 5.5 for simplicity. An average SUV from my cursory search appears to get around 20 mpg, so almost exactly double at 11 L/100 km. I have driven 170000 km in the last 5 years, or 1700 intervals of 5.5 L. at exactly double the consumption, I have used 9350 Litres less fuel. The monthly average price per litre of fuel for major Canadian cities is actually available here: https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1...pid=1810000101 . I just plugged this into a spreadsheet using Toronto as a reference and found the overall average fuel price over the last 5 years to be about 1.17 CAD per litre. This means that the Mirage saved me 10939.50 CAD as opposed to the average SUV, less the difference in cost of the vehicles. At this point, I do not regret buying the Mirage in any way. 11000 CAD would have been a deal breaker for the last big investment I made, which has made some of my current ease possible.

Hybrid tech, and all electrical tech has been getting cheaper, those savings just haven't been passed on yet. The Maverick is the first car I've seen that actually has reflected this. More are coming I think, especially if fuel does go to 2 CAD per litre. There should be many cheap subcompact hybrids that sip fuel at this point, its bizarre that there aren't. Side note, Ford is actually reporting fuel economy around 38 mpg combined, the reviewers are pretty consistently getting around 42, and if the reviewers are getting 42, I'm guessing drivers like us will get around 45.

By my calculation, I may have roughly spent 7.5% of my waking life in my car over the past 5 years. I'm honestly hoping in the next car, whatever that may be, that I am able to spend less time on the road. Or at least less on the road for reasons other than pleasure. Even so, I need the value proposition to be there, especially if I need to move into a new stage in life that might require a bit more utility than a subcompact may be able to offer. There's still some time, but looking forward is healthy. I love my Mirage for the things it has allowed me to do over my 20s. Here's hoping I love what comes next just as much for what it may allow me to do in my 30s.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spadesheart For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (10-12-2021),Wil B (10-13-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,395 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by defensivetackle88 View Post
    I doubt I understand what you meant by suffering? So If I for example am going to buy new 2022 mirage es 5mt for $15k OTD, does that mean I will suffer in cost of ownership only cuz I cannot afford a $24k OTD of the 22 Mavericks that would greatly return in investment via fuel cost?

Please clarify. I am being open minded and am trying to understand your POV better.
    DT88 - I doubt he meant suffer as in, you know, actual suffering. I think he meant it more like dealing with an unpreferred circumstance (darn that sounds fancy!).

And as great as I think the Maverick *may* be, a person is not likely to ever see a fuel savings (compared to the Mirage) in the order of the actual cost of a Mirage. Meaning, even if a Maverick got higher mpg than a Mirage (which it won't), it would be a loooooong time before it ever paid back the premium for the Maverick over the Mirage.

However, maybe your meaning was the Maverick's fuel cost savings compared to an average pickemup truck. Which will likely be significant. Note, I said *may* above because, it's fairly likely that Ford will muck-up the Maverick in one way or many. Perhaps it will be a rolling turd, or have some other issues unforeseen. The idea / concept of it is great. Let's hope they execute. My gut tells me that Toyota already sees the genius of it, and will react QUICK. I'd much rather have the Toyota version of a Maverick than the Ford version.

7milesout

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-12-2021),Wil B (10-13-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I'd much rather have the Toyota version of a Maverick than the Ford version.
    The problem with that is that Toyota has been told this for YEARS and they will. not. do. it.

They have been told by every little old man across the country "boy if you just made a little truck out of this here Prius, I might could buy one"

And now they have let Ford be the first into a market they could have dominated.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wife requires the heated seats... I like vented seats for long (2+hrs) drive.

I thought all the autonomous driving stuff is/was stupid until I now drive 60 miles a day - 80% of which the car can (mostly) drive itself.

I may wait for the corolla cross to compare. I still think the Seltos will win because of price/performance/features.

I guess I'll stick with non-luxury for now and buy the comfy when the wife is due.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Interesting. I had thought of getting the Ford Maverick XL trim however OTD price projected to be $24k which is obviously more expensive than the Mirage (Hatchback/G4) ES MT so Mavs is out of the table.

I’m now torn between G4 and HB for city driving and 2 babies as I already have Highlander. Can’t determine what are the cons beside weight. The 06 Prius I had was fine except it was used and due for hefty service and thankfully was sold.
    Last edited by defensivetackle88; 10-12-2021 at 04:51 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by defensivetackle88 View Post
    Interesting. I had thought of getting the Ford Maverick XL trim however OTD price projected to be $24k which is obviously more expensive than the Mirage (Hatchback/G4) ES MT so Mavs is out of the table.

I’m now torn between G4 and HB for city driving and 2 babies as I already have Highlander. Can’t determine what are the cons beside weight. The 06 Prius I had was fine except it was used and due for hefty service and thankfully was sold.
    There is a 2021 G4 manual transmission available in Spokane, WA

https://www.arrottasmitsubishi.com/v...-car?type=cash

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    The problem with that is that Toyota has been told this for YEARS and they will. not. do. it.

They have been told by every little old man across the country "boy if you just made a little truck out of this here Prius, I might could buy one"

And now they have let Ford be the first into a market they could have dominated.
    Toyota would also have to price it higher, or risk it cutting into their Prius sales. I doubt an actual competitor would come from Toyota. I could see it from the Korean brands, and the smaller Japanese brands, and definitely the other American brands. If Toyota makes it, it will be 5-10 k more.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Wife requires the heated seats... I like vented seats for long (2+hrs) drive.

I thought all the autonomous driving stuff is/was stupid until I now drive 60 miles a day - 80% of which the car can (mostly) drive itself.

I may wait for the corolla cross to compare. I still think the Seltos will win because of price/performance/features.

I guess I'll stick with non-luxury for now and buy the comfy when the wife is due.
    That Corolla Cross is surprisingly efficient for a full internal combustion engine.