Thread: Canadian seeking purchase advice!

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Question Canadian seeking purchase advice!

Hi everyone, I have read past the negative comments on reddit and they had no effect on me. Actually, it made me want this car even more! I think this is a club I want to be in.

My wife’s car is officially toast today, we’ve decided we aren’t putting a multiple thousand dollar repair into a car we can see on Autotrader in working condition for $5k or so (2011 Fusion)

I won’t lie, I don’t make a lot of money and neither does she. We also do not have kids, just a pup. The price is super attractive , the cheapest in Canada, for a new car, as far as I can tell today?

So my question is basically for anyone familiar specifically with the state of the market and availability in Canada… WHAT do I buy? Our only requirement for the vehicle is Air Conditioning. Power Locks ideally too.. oh.. right, and, automatic. I know, I know - Let me stress this is my wife’s car! And 95% just local small commuting! I drive standard and desperately would prefer this car in manual. But she never ceases to remind me I’m lucky she let me have one already

What’s considered the “unicorn” for value out there? If you were buying TODAY , and didn’t have the luxury of waiting out a rare model or whatever? Should I be looking at used? A certain year ideally? Would you just go brand new 2023 right from the Mitzi dealership? And if so, at what trim point is the car no longer the best value? And on that note, if it stops being the best value at that trim, which vehicles are considered it’s direct competitor and better choice?

Anybody specifically know the state of availability and market in Canada? I’d love to hear from you

My budget is 25k and I’d be happier at less, for sure

Sorry for the long post, thank you for your advice, I have enabled notifications on reply

2. The Following User Says Thank You to frost For This Useful Post:

BigMW (03-26-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by frost View Post
    Hi everyone, I have read past the negative comments on reddit and they had no effect on me. Actually, it made me want this car even more! I think this is a club I want to be in.

My wife’s car is officially toast today, we’ve decided we aren’t putting a multiple thousand dollar repair into a car we can see on Autotrader in working condition for $5k or so (2011 Fusion)

I won’t lie, I don’t make a lot of money and neither does she. We also do not have kids, just a pup. The price is super attractive , the cheapest in Canada, for a new car, as far as I can tell today?

So my question is basically for anyone familiar specifically with the state of the market and availability in Canada… WHAT do I buy? Our only requirement for the vehicle is Air Conditioning. Power Locks ideally too.. oh.. right, and, automatic. I know, I know - Let me stress this is my wife’s car! And 95% just local small commuting! I drive standard and desperately would prefer this car in manual. But she never ceases to remind me I’m lucky she let me have one already

What’s considered the “unicorn” for value out there? If you were buying TODAY , and didn’t have the luxury of waiting out a rare model or whatever? Should I be looking at used? A certain year ideally? Would you just go brand new 2023 right from the Mitzi dealership? And if so, at what trim point is the car no longer the best value? And on that note, if it stops being the best value at that trim, which vehicles are considered it’s direct competitor and better choice?

Anybody specifically know the state of availability and market in Canada? I’d love to hear from you

My budget is 25k and I’d be happier at less, for sure

Sorry for the long post, thank you for your advice, I have enabled notifications on reply
    I would go new, 2023. If not manual, then go one step up in trim, which will give you what you want/ need. Should be under your budget, and financing might still be reasonable, plus you get a 10 year powertrain warranty.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.9 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.8 mpg (Imp)

True, this is one of those rare cars that you could finance for 8 years and still have warranty before it's paid off. I know a few people that paid all the money for a new F150, 96 month financing! The engine blew up just out of warranty. They had to keep on paying for a pos blow'd up truck and pay to fix it. But it was a good deal at the time.

On the other hand....
    Even if you bought the cheapest(there doesn't seem to be any cheap ones one around anymore) highest mileage Mirage you could find, worst case scenario it needs an engine or transmission down the road(or both if you're like me lol). Both parts are relatively easy to find used(car-part.com,LKQ or ebay), the hard part would be finding someone to install them for a reasonable price(cheap). I'd hope you could find someone to install an engine, trans or both at the same time for under $1500(labor) but I may be on glue about that because inflation...

I have a car on the hoist right now that finally wore out the oem ball joints at 444,000kms. This one is one of the more beat up cars used a lot on gravel roads. Parts don't fall off these cars once the warranty is up like many people seem to think.... Manual transmissions are not bulletproof, cvt's aren't complete garbage, alternators are expensive but don't fail often(I've had one act up at 500k km). Most negative stuff about these turds are either fake news or problems caused by the owner(driver),previous owner or just the way she goes, there's the odd bad egg but most of these cars that I see daily have exceeded my low expectations by a long shot.
    Last edited by Fummins; 03-27-2023 at 09:42 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

BigMW (03-28-2023),twister77 (03-28-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Go buy a brand new 2023 5MT for $14.3k + freight/tax.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

BigMW (03-28-2023),twister77 (03-28-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    i bought mine in 2019 for 15k all in out the door.
    i could have got it down to 14k if i had known how they do things.

that was the base model. with auto trans.

start with with the Mitsubishi website has for a price and don't go more then $1.5k over it.
    and go to more then one dealer.
    and let them know you are shopping around for the best price.

dont sign anything for any reason untill its time to say "ill buy it"
    Last edited by nutpantz; 04-08-2023 at 06:07 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Buy new - you can find a car well within your budget with the feature you want. Get the ES with CVT, and you'll be happy.
    Be sure to change the fluids more often than they tell you, and they car will last a LONG time.
    The dealer sold me my ES 5sp for $14k - retail price at the time. I wasn't going to waste time haggling, since they had one on the lot, so I had to move QUICK. Including taxes and fees, I paid just ver $18k out the door.
    Here's my video on my 2022:
    https://youtu.be/UXjRKpyVAoM

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2022 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 40.1 mpg (US) ... 17.0 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 48.1 mpg (Imp)