Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the New Ford Maverick and on what your next vehicle will be

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hello all,

I plan on swapping out our mirage for a ford maverick when the time comes.
    I'm very impressed with the MPG/Practicality it offers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 54.7 mpg (US) ... 23.3 km/L ... 4.3 L/100 km ... 65.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrero View Post
    Hello all,

I plan on swapping out our mirage for a ford maverick when the time comes.
    I'm very impressed with the MPG/Practicality it offers.
    Since they are no longer offering any practical car options, I think Ford is banking on those who share your opinion of the Maverick. I hope it's a big success for Ford. If so, other manufacturers will follow suit.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Since they are no longer offering any practical car options, I think Ford is banking on those who share your opinion of the Maverick. I hope it's a big success for Ford. If so, other manufacturers will follow suit.
    I've said this earlier in the thread, but if the Maverick proves to be reliable, I'm willing to bet it will be one of the, if not the best selling vehicle in north America. There's quite literally nothing on the market that matches that practicality, and complete value proposition right now. And much like you, I hope it does too so we can shift the market away from the asinine performance bullcrap that people don't actually need yet seems to have infected 95% of modern cars.

The Mirage is what we who play video games would call "Min/Maxed." This is where they prioritize some stats over others, in this case overall cost of ownership, and reliability, while leaving other stats at the basic functional values. This prioritization is why this car works so well for everyone on this site, and frankly it probably would for most people. Unfortunately, this is also why the mirage was admonished for years when it came out; unfairly I might add when they were selling the base version of the thing for $9000 in Canada. It's only now that the reviews aren't as overwhelmingly negative, with some irony since now that I don't believe the price is justified at $14000 plus fees in Canada at the cheapest. If the mirage was praised for what it was from the get go, it would have probably seen a fair increase in sales.

The Maverick does not seem to be Min/Maxed. The maverick is just a higher level. There isn't really anything that it could be admonished for (unfairly) like the mirage was. For a truck, its more than fast enough. For any vehicle, its more than comfortable enough. It has the fuel economy. It has all sorts of fancy, as well as really practical tech features. It has bonkers practicality with its really well designed truck bed. It has (presumably) a fairly well thought out and robust design. It's boring, but it's not offensive looking in any way. And its the cheapest hybrid available here somehow, even with it being much larger than most of the other hybrids, as well as benefiting from the safety that comes with that size. It will mostly be reviewed well. If it's reliable, it's going to be a huge hit, with anyone who isn't a "pure" (annoying) performance enthusiast.

I would like it if they would have doubled down and kept min/maxing the Mirage. How crazy would it have been if they made a hybrid version of the thing; they definitely had room in the engine bay and it probably would have been a simple retrofit. They could have even kept using the same main engine and it would have sipped gas, but they haven't. This would have also improved the clear cold weather performance issues the thing has. Used is the only way to buy the Mirage right now, and it's been that way for a couple years. Mitsubishi missed what actually made the thing good and haven't justified the price increase.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    You know what else gets me about the Mirage? I Feel like I get the odd big truck attacking me on the road. Just yesterday I had someone in the oncoming traffic, literally get into my lane 10 inches, trying to intimidate me. Maybe they were changing their radio station? Awful feeling though.
    I'm going to have to go ahead and sort of agree with ya there. I am one of those big pick-up drivers. However, when I'm in my truck, I do my best to be no more than just another vehicle around. However, I see it day in day out. PowerJoke drivers are the worst. There are some specific exhaust loudness mods that they do. And once having done the exhaust mods, then they must feel obligated to drive it in a manner that yields maximum exhaust noise. I don't have a problem with their loud exhaust. It's just silly to always try to make it as loud as possible since they spent probably well over $1,000 to make it loud.

My truck is loud. To be honest it is LAF. But it is loud for convenience or maybe cheapness's sake. My stock exhaust corroded through. Pretty much the whole length from the turbo back. So I had the whole thing replaced with a simple 5" exhaust tube. Nothing to go bad in that exhaust, except the material itself. And it was not expensive. But when I drive now, I drive legit. No extra noise. And I do my best NOT to get in anyone's way, or to try to force other people out of my way so I can go where I want. At least I try, to just be just another vehicle. When in the Blueberry, I feel many driver's trying to intimidate me. Especially from them trying to read the serial number on my rear bumper.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spadesheart View Post
    I've said this earlier in the thread, but if the Maverick proves to be reliable, I'm willing to bet it will be one of the, if not the best selling vehicle in north America. There's quite literally nothing on the market that matches that practicality, and complete value proposition right now. And much like you, I hope it does too so we can shift the market away from the asinine performance bullcrap that people don't actually need yet seems to have infected 95% of modern cars.

The Mirage is what we who play video games would call "Min/Maxed." This is where they prioritize some stats over others, in this case overall cost of ownership, and reliability, while leaving other stats at the basic functional values. This prioritization is why this car works so well for everyone on this site, and frankly it probably would for most people. Unfortunately, this is also why the mirage was admonished for years when it came out; unfairly I might add when they were selling the base version of the thing for $9000 in Canada. It's only now that the reviews aren't as overwhelmingly negative, with some irony since now that I don't believe the price is justified at $14000 plus fees in Canada at the cheapest. If the mirage was praised for what it was from the get go, it would have probably seen a fair increase in sales.

The Maverick does not seem to be Min/Maxed. The maverick is just a higher level. There isn't really anything that it could be admonished for (unfairly) like the mirage was. For a truck, its more than fast enough. For any vehicle, its more than comfortable enough. It has the fuel economy. It has all sorts of fancy, as well as really practical tech features. It has bonkers practicality with its really well designed truck bed. It has (presumably) a fairly well thought out and robust design. It's boring, but it's not offensive looking in any way. And its the cheapest hybrid available here somehow, even with it being much larger than most of the other hybrids, as well as benefiting from the safety that comes with that size. It will mostly be reviewed well. If it's reliable, it's going to be a huge hit, with anyone who isn't a "pure" (annoying) performance enthusiast.

I would like it if they would have doubled down and kept min/maxing the Mirage. How crazy would it have been if they made a hybrid version of the thing; they definitely had room in the engine bay and it probably would have been a simple retrofit. They could have even kept using the same main engine and it would have sipped gas, but they haven't. This would have also improved the clear cold weather performance issues the thing has. Used is the only way to buy the Mirage right now, and it's been that way for a couple years. Mitsubishi missed what actually made the thing good and haven't justified the price increase.

Sounds like you are sold on the Ford Maverick. I look forward to your first hand reviews of it some day.

As far as the Mirage goes (in the States), Mitsubishi used already existing features to justify their yearly price increases. The end result was a base trim level that's not so basic any more, and the upper trim levels remained unchanged (2017-2020 models). During that time period, the base level ES was changed by adding more standard features. The end result was an increase in all trim levels even though the upper ones (SE & GT) never changed in 4 years.

I really don't mind the Mirage being left as is (most fuel efficient non-hybrid vehicle in the States). If Mitsubishi wants to release a hybrid vehicle, I would rather see a new model added to their line up while keeping the Mirage as is. When highly discounted Mirages were selling for $9,000-10,000 (ES or SE manuals), buying a new one was an easy decision.

Outside of adding cruise control, adding more standard features doesn't make the Mirage more appealing to someone like me. If I needed a car, I can't say I would pay MSRP for a Mirage. I would return to the used market. Last time I checked, a slightly used manual Mirage was about $8,000-9,000 cheaper than a slightly used manual Honda Fit. That's comparing today's very inflated prices. Thus, the affordable appeal of the Mirage is still there, but you're buying something used that you could have bought brand new some time ago for about the same price. That's true of most vehicles these days, however.

I think the Maverick is a good idea, especially using a transmission similar to Toyota. I'm wary of Ford.
    But I'm wary of Kia too and theirs one of those in my driveway(not my call, not my money).

All I'd need for options would be air,tilt and cruise and a spare tire.
    For want's-keyless entry, power windows, sliding back window(to haul longer things).

I don't need to have the car keep me in my own lane or tell me there's a car next to me. Though those features and automatic braking and cruise would be handy if you're hammered.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Sounds like you are sold on the Ford Maverick. I look forward to your first hand reviews of it some day.

As far as the Mirage goes (in the States), Mitsubishi used already existing features to justify their yearly price increases. The end result was a base trim level that's not so basic any more, and the upper trim levels remained unchanged (2017-2020 models). During that time period, the base level ES was changed by adding more standard features. The end result was an increase in all trim levels even though the upper ones (SE & GT) never changed in 4 years.

I really don't mind the Mirage being left as is (most fuel efficient non-hybrid vehicle in the States). If Mitsubishi wants to release a hybrid vehicle, I would rather see a new model added to their line up while keeping the Mirage as is. When highly discounted Mirages were selling for $9,000-10,000 (ES or SE manuals), buying a new one was an easy decision.

Outside of adding cruise control, adding more standard features doesn't make the Mirage more appealing to someone like me. If I needed a car, I can't say I would pay MSRP for a Mirage. I would return to the used market. Last time I checked, a slightly used manual Mirage was about $8,000-9,000 cheaper than a slightly used manual Honda Fit. That's comparing today's very inflated prices. Thus, the affordable appeal of the Mirage is still there, but you're buying something used that you could have bought brand new some time ago for about the same price. That's true of most vehicles these days, however.
    Well, I just looked at the how many km do you have on your mirage thread. If I want to drive my Mirage to the end, I think I have a couple of years yet haha.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I'm going to have to go ahead and sort of agree with ya there. I am one of those big pick-up drivers. However, when I'm in my truck, I do my best to be no more than just another vehicle around. However, I see it day in day out. PowerJoke drivers are the worst. There are some specific exhaust loudness mods that they do. And once having done the exhaust mods, then they must feel obligated to drive it in a manner that yields maximum exhaust noise. I don't have a problem with their loud exhaust. It's just silly to always try to make it as loud as possible since they spent probably well over $1,000 to make it loud.

My truck is loud. To be honest it is LAF. But it is loud for convenience or maybe cheapness's sake. My stock exhaust corroded through. Pretty much the whole length from the turbo back. So I had the whole thing replaced with a simple 5" exhaust tube. Nothing to go bad in that exhaust, except the material itself. And it was not expensive. But when I drive now, I drive legit. No extra noise. And I do my best NOT to get in anyone's way, or to try to force other people out of my way so I can go where I want. At least I try, to just be just another vehicle. When in the Blueberry, I feel many driver's trying to intimidate me. Especially from them trying to read the serial number on my rear bumper.
    For a grocery getter, a truck would not be that useful for me. But a pickup truck would be nice for getting rid of junk.
    I want my coleman cooler to have a secure indoor spot, like a trunk or hatchback trunk. Not flopping around the back in the rain.

Truck would be better for hauling. Just today I rolled down all my windows in my Mirage, doing a dump run miscellaneous old house stuff. Nails sticking out everywhere. Truck is better since you're not worried about scratching the seats and that, but my Mirage's interior has more than one scratch from hauling stuff to the dump already.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Likewise, I don't think my brother (who lives 7 miles from my parents & work) questions me owning an economy car to visit my parents (220 miles one way for me).

As gas prices continue to slowly climb up, I think I am looking better & smarter in my Mirage every day. For those who think otherwise, they can go suck on an egg or something!
    I have finally gone over $40 filling up my Mirage. But that is really pushing it. Even during the higher gas prices this year, I'm still paying only like $35 to fill up from one block from empty.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I have finally gone over $40 filling up my Mirage. But that is really pushing it. Even during the higher gas prices this year, I'm still paying only like $35 to fill up from one block from empty.
    The mirage is fantastically efficient, but part of the low refill costs are the tank also being tiny. My old Sentra would get 700-800 km off a tank without hypermill-y driving. I rarely get anywhere near that on the Mirage. Hell in the winter im lucky to get 500-550 sometimes.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Spadesheart For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (10-12-2021)