Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Thoughts on the New Ford Maverick and on what your next vehicle will be

I was only interested because they seem be able to get 40mpg with the hybrid version, the only one I'd consider. The eco-boost is anything but economical. If I wanted to get 20mpg I'd drive my dually(nicely).

They already did axe the ranger then brought it back 6 years later(in 2019). The current ones seem to be not so little anymore. I think they're even more pointless than the maverick.

The only "options" I'd want in a new vehicle are keyless entry, ac, cruise and bluetooth. My Mirage already has all that stuff.
    I guess remote start would be nice too but the oem setup doesn't work if you have a check engine light which down the road could be a pita feature to keep working.

I like the idea of the maverick. It can get the same if not better fuel economy as my Mirage, can haul people more comfortably(presumably), can haul way more junk and people at the same time without having to drag a sketchy trailer or trailer hitch basket deal behind.

It could easily replace my Mirage. I wouldn't buy one and be delusional enough to think it's a truck or even an suv with the roof cut off but just another car with a big trunk(after adding a hard tonneau cover) that gets 40mpg or 48 imperialistic mpg.

It doesn't matter anyways, I'm not buying that one. The ad was just dealer click bait, the thing is already sold.

Besides, I checked out the Maverick forum and I don't think it's for me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    So can you buy a $3k cap for your Maverick and turn it into a crossover with the exception you can't access anything in the box from the interior? What exactly is the point the Maverick is trying to make when Ford had the Explorer Sport Trac failure and Suburu had the Baja, Honda Ridgeline, Avalanche? I get Detroit doubles down on their failures but when you double the price of your prior failure do you really expect the new improved model to fly off the shelves?

I give both the new Ranger and the Maverick 3-5 years before they get axed. My Vue has nearly the same hp/torque as the Mav but my Vue is better equipped (IMO) and a nicer vehicle overall.
    I think Ford is currently a misguided company that lost the vision of its founder Henry Ford. Ford made vehicles (starting with the 15,000,000 Model T cars from 1908-1927) for the common working man. His vision put Ford on the world map!

The Maverick is a response to Ford dropping their entire car line up (stupid move, which I hope they pay dearly for), except for the Mustang. For those who can't afford their overpriced Rangers, F-150s, and larger trucks, the Maverick was going to be an affordable, economical (starting around $20,000 sounded really nice) alternative to the other trucks & larger SUVs. Once again, the affordable piece quickly disappeared.

Do we blame this on the auto industry or the demands of consumers?

Buying a Model T was quite simple. It could be had in any color as long as it was black (somewhat quoting Mr. Ford). I'm not old enough to remember buying one, but I would guess the process was quite simple.

I really liked simple "no frills" vehicles that offered a base model that was thousands of dollars cheaper than the upper trim levels. I don't think I am the norm when it comes to that, however. I sense Darin is somewhat like me, but most people (especially those outside this forum) gotta have their features. When you watch car reviews these days, they spend more time talking about the screen size on the dash than talking about the vehicle's powertrain. It's really sort of pitiful in my eyes.

One of my cousins test drove a slightly used Honda Ridgeline last week. He lives in West Allis (& works in Milwaukee). His need for a truck is quite small, but he's bent on having one. Whereas, I live in rural Wisconsin & do outdoor things all the time. Yet, I do not have any desire to own a truck. I do rely on my Kawasaki Mule, however. Even in that case, I bought the most affordable model at the time (approximately $6,700). Even at that price, I traded a boat for it, and I sold an old Honda ATV to my best friend to help pay for it. If I can't pay for something, I don't buy it (outside of a mortgage).

My truck is a 4' x 8' tilt bed trailer that I bought in 1994 for $387. There's no registration fee or plates for small trailers in Wisconsin. My trailer has never needed an oil change or any major maintenance done to it. It doesn't raise my auto insurance. Most of all, it's easy to load (dead deer, firewood, lumber, bags of wood pellets, lumber, furniture, gravel, patio blocks, boy toys (like ATV, UTV, compact tractor, riding lawnmower), and whatever else I have hauled with it the past 29 years. I think some people are my friend, because I own a trailer sometimes!

If I was a construction worker or farmer, I would own a truck. We used our farm truck to haul corn silage almost daily during some parts of the year. It made a trip to the feed mill once a week to have a load of corn/oats ground into feed, which was brought back in 100 pound burlap bags. We used to haul square bales to the pasture (sometimes twice a day). Our truck pulled gravity boxes, chopper boxes, and hay wagon racks. At times, it hauled firewood, fertilizer, lime, seed, & other more normal stuff. If I wanted to use the truck for a date, I did some major cleaning beforehand. You could spray out the floor with a garden hose back then. Ironically, these trucks worked hard, but none of them were even 4WD.

My Dad is still on the family farm, and his current 4WD truck is nothing like the trucks we had as a kid. It's quite nice, but it also cost more than what he paid for the farm. It also doesn't do much. When he does use it, he's pulling a trailer half the time.

I honestly don't understand how people throw so much money at new vehicles? Obviously, I'm not talking about Mirage owners. If someone handed me a million dollars (tax free), I wouldn't spend one penny on a new vehicle. There are better places to put money in my opinion, but I am not knocking those who need a vehicle. I've been there, too. I'm content with what I have for now, & I thank my affordable Mirage for that!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-05-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Will the Mirage remains in production for mode year 2024? I hope so . It would be nice to make it to 2030 at least

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    While the ford maverick is more expensive than the Mirage, another incomparable contender can be had for somewhar cheap. The 1990’s Mighty Max with fuel injector. Sadly their asking price is high as buying 00-05’ Echo. Heck, in a slightly off topic point, the Geo Metro is available for $4k.

https://jalopnik.com/at-4-500-is-thi...vel-1850277757

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I knew FORD lost it when I saw a $27k Fiesta, in the era of $15k Mirage, Versa, Micra. If the market retreats we might see the Mav for $20k. I was very interested when I first read of it. I was annoyed it was using plain steel like the Ranger. I doubt the market will stall or retreat, there's too much demand for used/new/restored. Heck, I'd even consider a loaded Tempo 4 dr. from 92-93 if it was in near mint shape. They ran for 3-400k miles and required nothing more than an annual muffler, tie rod ends and a new rad every -4-5 years, and compressor at 7. I'd happily drive a Saturn from the same era. They still look mint today. So many likely got scrapped for minor reasons, rads, alternators, brake jobs. If they were worth $500 nobody would throw a $300 brake job into them. My Vue looks mint at 17 yrs. and the single major point of failure are the box rails with the motor mounts. There are plenty of howto repair it. It's not a horrid task. $1000 to keep a vehicle worth $5k on the road makes sense to me.

I'm sure there are plenty of other popular cars out there that failed/scrapped for what are now reasonably fixable. With new car average prices $48k what's wrong about dropping $10-15k into an older solid body car with a supply of aftermarket spares?
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-06-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by defensivetackle88 View Post
    Will the Mirage remains in production for mode year 2024? I hope so . It would be nice to make it to 2030 at least
    From my perspective Mitsubishi is already dead! The 2023 Mirage has become a vehicle I would no longer buy new or used.

Mitsubishi's existence will become Nissan products with Mitsubishi symbols slapped on them in North America, & Renault products in Europe.

Here is just another example of this - the new Mitsubishi Colt being released in Europe this summer.

https://www.motor1.com/news/660624/2...lt-new-teaser/

I owned a Plymouth Colt from the past. Everything that was labeled on that car said "Mitsubishi". The only thing Plymouth on that car was the chrome word Plymouth slapped on it. That 1989 Colt was entirely Mitsubishi.

Today's Colt is NOTHING Mitsubishi! I hate to pop anyone's bubble, but Mitsubishi is DEAD! I knew that as soon as I saw the 2nd best selling truck (Mitsubishi Triton) in Australia became a rebadged Nissan. Mitsubishi as we know it is already gone!

If you really want one, buy it before the next new updated model comes out! It's too late to do that with the Outlander, but other choices exist at this point.

I consider myself a realist, but some of you may label me a pessimist? I wish I was wrong about my thoughts, but I really do think Mitsubishi is somewhat gone. If you love Nissan products, however, Mitsubishi's future is better than ever!!!!