Thread: Likely new owner, was previously an owner

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Arrow Likely new owner, was previously an owner

Hi Mirage Forum!

First off thanks to all of you for sharing here, these forums can be invaluable!

Quick shout-out to the celebrities from Geo Metro forum, ExoModder, and here, have read posts from MetroMPG, Johnny Mullet, Fummins, and many others for several years, you guys are leaders in an awesome community.

A little about myself and cars:
    -I owned a 1992 Geo Metro 2Dr 3cyl/5spd for a few years but never joined the forum, just a lurker. Put a lot of time and a little money into that car, got sold when it needed rings for the second time, although was the easiest rebuild I've ever done back then. Just wasn't quite up to the demands I put on it with many interstate miles, I think. Might have had some undiagnosed other issues, but the main diagnosed issue was the "nut behind the wheel" asking a lot out of that car.
    -From 2019 to 2020 I owned a 2019 Mirage 5spd (hatch) but got rid of it due to needing a better tow vehicle and not having space to add a vehicle, and due to limited rear legroom. Mirage was awesome at its job and a good bit faster and yet more efficient than the Metro.
    -Ended up in a manual Jeep Gladiator. A nice and surprisingly efficient truck, considering what it can do. But expensive! Used car prices being what they are, Carvana should be taking delivery of this truck soon for a little over what I paid for it new.

So now I am working on a deal on a Mirage G4 5spd, and shopping for a "cheap" tow vehicle as well, as I am soon moving to a location with more parking. As I read the specs, the G4 rear legroom appears much an improvement. Lack of back seat folding down isn't an issue for me, tow vehicle and trailers will take care of that when necessary.

Also just to share, from what I can tell it truly is an awful time to buy a car. If I weren't making a little off of the truck and still cutting car debt into less than half, I would wait (of course, who's to say which way things go next?!)

Hopefully more to come from me in the future!
    But regardless, big big thank you to this community for your contributions to the knowledge of the internet!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btoneone For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (10-01-2021),Fummins (09-30-2021)

Thanks for coming out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (10-01-2021),btoneone (10-01-2021),Dirk Diggler (10-03-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Thanks for coming out.
    Ehhh... stopping by?
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

btoneone (10-01-2021)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    Ehhh... stopping by?
    I think Fummins was more accurate. After a lot of lurking it is more like "coming out of the shadows" I guess

Either way thanks for the welcome!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Basic (09-30-2021),btoneone (10-01-2021),Wil B (10-01-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Welcome aboard. Lots of ex-Metro people here..and a few current Metro people. I have owned a few of them, and sold my last after the engine burned yet another exhaust valve 110k miles after I rebuilt it. Learned about the Mirage through a coworker in the fall of 2014 who was considering buying one.

Back when I had my Metro I wished I had been aware enough of how awesome they were to have bought one new. In fact, I almost did buy one new in the fall of 1994!

Twenty years later I decided to put those regrets to rest by buying this 2,000 pound, 3-cylinder, 5-speed hatchback. After 185k miles, I am glad I did.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

btoneone (10-01-2021),Cam123 (10-03-2021),inuvik (10-01-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Overall I like the look of the Mirage way more than the Geo Metro...but wow those are some flashy rims on the Metro!!