Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Much more reasonably priced car :: 2014 Mitsubishi SE w/Convenience package(adds crui

1. General Information
    Much more reasonably priced car
    Mitsubishi
    SE w/Convenience package(adds cruise and bluetooth
    Black
    cvt

Bought in Feb 2021 with 280xxx km. Had an iffy transmission.

•  
    Details

Sept 2021
    6000km used engine installed at 289xxxkm.
    2300km used cvt installed at 289xxxkm.

•  
    Comments: 230 / Views: 106481
    Once on the way out to "camp", we didn't get very far due to some poor business decisions.

I made a help sign from a pizza box.

We spent all of Saturday getting the car running and fixing ̶a̶l̶l̶ some of the gremlins.

Thought we were going to run out of fuel getting back to town.

I honestly cannot believe my car still runs and drives after what it just went through.

Water+Car=Bad

EDIT: Oil light came on at idle after first 40km. Let it sit 30 mins then continued on. The oil light came back on after another 30 mins while coasting down a hill. And it's been coming on more frequently since yesterday evening. There appears to be a small oil leak leak coming from the front/left(intake side of the engine). Possibly from the filter or oil sending unit. Will look closer later.

Last edited by Fummins; 06-06-2023 at 06:58 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-07-2023)

My friend spotted this set up on a beaver pond...someone went through a lot of trouble there lol Attachment 25321Attachment 25322Attachment 25323

I'm not sure why the pics don't show up?
    I'll add to this when I have time. Car seems fine now. For now...I'll pull the carpet out one of these days and steam clean it. Then make sure all the modules are dry.
    Last edited by Fummins; 06-05-2023 at 10:10 PM.
    Mirage videos:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    You give a whole new meaning to the word carpool.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-06-2023),MetroMPG (06-07-2023)

Does anybody know trail leading into a volcano? Asking for a friend.
    Mirage videos:

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-07-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Fummins - Down here, to my understanding, a 30 year fixed rate is by far the most common. Probably 90% of home mortgages are that, if I were to guess. I got a 15 year fixed rate mortgage, at 2.875%. At that low of an interest rate, I'm not paying it off early. I'm trying to keep the college tuitions paid off as we go. 15 year fixed saves a tremendous amount of money compared to a 30 year. But you know how it is, that 30 year fixed mortgage let some people buy that more expensive house in order for them to have the IMAGE of being more successful. That's important to a lot of people. A few years back, the wife wanted us to move into a more snooty neighborhood. I went and looked at a house. It was an awesome house. But it was nearly double the cost of what our house is. I explained to her that if we buy this house, then we're looking at a new 30 year mortgage (because I wouldn't have been able to swing the 15 year payment on it), no flexibility for vacations, expenses for the boys (their sports), we can't really help them with college expenses, etc etc etc. She wasn't listening to anything of reason, so I just had to tell her ... NO.
    I have concluded the only reason empty nester couples upsize to massive houses has nothing to do with appearing successful and everything to do with living in a place large enough the two of you never see each other, much less have to interact as a couple.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-06-2023)

Car doesn’t seem fine now. I changed the oil on sunday before driving 3hrs home. Noticed a bit of oil on the front of the engine. I stuck my phone up there and it looked like the oil pressure sending unit may be leaking. All was good all the way home and on the way to work yesterday.
    But on the way home from work the oil light turned on while stopped at a set of lights. I reved it up a little bit in neutral and the light went off…checked the oil when I got home and it seems fine.
    On the way to work this morning the light came on again after running for a shorter time than yesterday. There’s a drip of oil coming from the front of the engine.
    So, I’m gonna hope it makes it home after work today then I’ll try to replace the oil pressure sending unit. That is, if the block isn’t cracked or something. Hot engine going into freezing cold water isn’t good. It was so cold that after a while the green low temp light came on(before the electrical everything went crazy).

And…the check engine light came on today too. I do have the small hose that has vacuum removed from the charcoal canister. I figure it’s flooded so didn’t want to hook it up.
    Mirage videos:

Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I have concluded the only reason empty nester couples upsize to massive houses has nothing to do with appearing successful and everything to do with living in a place large enough the two of you never see each other, much less have to interact as a couple.
    I think you might be onto something. I have close relatives that recently bought a house that's a pretty good size. I think one other reason was to have room for their stuff that they had crammed into their previous 3 houses over the last 40 years and the other.
    I'm glad our house is big enough to be able to find a good spot to hide out down when necessary.
    Mirage videos:

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Hot engine going into freezing cold water isn’t good. It was so cold that after a while the green low temp light came on
    Holy moly.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

I changed the oil filter again last night along with the oil pressure sending unit(to eliminate it from being the source of the oil leak). I'm pretty sure it was all from the oil filter. Odd that it seemed to be leaking from the old oil filter as well. I think Wix started using different(cheaper) material for their gaskets. Anyways...leak seems to be fixed. No oil pressure light this morning, we'll see what happens heading home tonight. I've put off drying out the rest of the car until this oil pressure problem is dealt with. I'm not replacing the engine in this car a second time. If it's toast so is the car.

I had the charcoal canister vacuum line unhooked since Saturday. Car has been running fine until yesterday(I believe) morning. It took about 3 days and multiple start and restarts to get it to throw a P0455 evap leak code. Maybe it realized the code right away but didn't turn on the cel until it had the code a number of times? I used my old otc code reader that happened to spend the weekend under water too. It worked amazingly, and cocky me cleared the codes with the engine running(like I often do with the work scanner). That was fine, then I unplugged the code reader with it running and the abs and trac control lights, and engine light came on, car ran like crap! Uh oh....Shut it off and restarted it and it ran ok but engine light was on. Checked codes and got the angry U001(or something close to that) can bus communication error. I couldn't clear it. I'll have to try with the autel scanner tonight.

I'm leaving the charcoal canister unhooked until I replace it. I'm worried it's sending charcoal into the fuel tank. I'm not sure if this has been a problem previously because I often overfill the fuel tank and claim it doesn't hurt anything. But now I'm kinda wondering because the car seems to have more power after cleaning up/out the entire fuel pump assembly and strainer. But with that said, things always run their best right before blowing up!

Last edited by Fummins; 06-07-2023 at 12:50 PM.
    Mirage videos: