Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Much more reasonably priced car :: 2014 Mitsubishi SE w/Convenience package(adds crui

1. General Information
    Much more reasonably priced car
    Mitsubishi
    SE w/Convenience package(adds cruise and bluetooth
    Black
    cvt

Bought in Feb 2021 with 280xxx km. Had an iffy transmission.

•  
    Details

Sept 2021
    6000km used engine installed at 289xxxkm.
    2300km used cvt installed at 289xxxkm.

•  
    Comments: 230 / Views: 107594
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Jeesus, it's only 13 here. Can't do FA outside, pouring rain. Every day like this I get another day behind. sucks
    We lucked out as far as weather goes for the most part. It was gorgeous every day until Monday when it poured but did stop just long enough to pack up camp.
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Fummins - Your Mirage looks kind of badass out in the woods! I'm impressed.
    Wait til you see where we took it!

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

We put on 1400km/870 miles this weekend. Left Friday morning and got home last night at 8(monday). The car held up like a champ. A few times I wish it had a 5spd but I really don't think the clutch would have loved what we put it through. Climbing a steep grade loaded to the nuts, driving as slow as possible dodging oil pan taker outer rocks. The car actually powered out at one point, spun out a half dozen times too. Had to kick out the kiddo and friend to help push the car up one steep grade. Car just didn't have the nards to get going. Once rolling it was fine.
    Last edited by Fummins; 05-24-2023 at 08:49 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The black body and lack of hubcaps + roof rack really brings it out I think.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 41.5 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.7 L/100 km ... 49.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Fummins - Your Mirage looks kind of badass out in the woods! I'm impressed.
    The black body and lack of hubcaps + roof piled with gear really brings it out I think.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 41.5 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.7 L/100 km ... 49.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to precisionxt For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-23-2023)

Day one:Attachment 25228Attachment 25229Ruby Falls staging area(below). I may have made a funny, telling kiddo we were gonna cross the river....Opened the hood for ventilations. A water bottle was leaking in the car all over kiddo's shoes so we drove 30km with them held to the wiper cowl using the wipers. One was still wet after we got here so I put one near the battery under the hood and it dried off in no time!Attachment 25230Big horn sheep, near the mine that's closed(same area as the first pic)Attachment 25231Camped here Friday night. Can't tell in the pic but it's on a cliff above the Cardinal River. Attachment 25232Attachment 25233 This was a section of road that washed out about 7 years ago, it's now used by quads or 4x4's. Or Mirages...Attachment 25234
    Last edited by Fummins; 05-23-2023 at 01:16 PM.
    Mirage videos:

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (05-23-2023),MetroMPG (05-29-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,010 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by precisionxt View Post
    The black body and lack of hubcaps + roof piled with gear really brings it out I think.
    Yes, that's it! That is what makes it look badass. That and not being on pavement.

Fummins, I agree with you that the clutch would have had a really hard time. But ... what if we could talk Mitsubishi into coming out with an ORV variation with a super-granny-rock-crawling-creeper first gear? Then let the clutch out and its good for 0.25 mph idling, 2 mph reved to 4k rpm! Ha, that would be cool. But would be a waste of money, for all but you.

I've wondered about taking off my wheel covers, and painting the wheels black. They're too gray without painting them. Mainly I'm concerned that I will make a black paint mess out of the wheels. But will look into it again when the tires are getting close to being replaced.

Your camping pictures are awesome! That is the way to go camping. I even think the Mirage amplifies the minimalization of the camping experience.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-24-2023)

We still had lots of crap to be comfortable. I had a diesel heater for the tent, propane fire pit(wood fires are banned atm), propane stove, 20lb propane tank. Buddy brought out some fairly large bluetooth speaker to keep the bear away lol My friend brought a large ice fishing tent that he used to sleep in all the time. Sets up fast, except for this time...After fighting with it for an hour, out came the buck knife! It's now in a garbage can on the side of the forestry trunk road...It can get cold at night so we crammed a queen sized air matress and buddy's cot all into my tent. Best part was, my car was full when I got to Hinton to pick up my friend then we realized I forgot to pack sleeping bags for me and the kiddo. Had to go out and buy a couple good sleeping bags. Car was packed to the tits, roof bag was full and poor kiddo was a trooper! She was the only one who wanted to come along for this trip.

Yeah a granny low gear would have been helpful. My friend is considering picking up an old Tercel 4wd 5 spd wagon with the extra low gear.

The weird thing is I bottomed out this car in deep ruts, banged off a few boulders, used the front bumper as a scoop shovel crossing a berm/creek and the front bumper and rad support are perfectly fine. Didn't get bent back like 90% of the work cars here. The only thing I had to fix along the way was yesterday the exhaust hanger under the drivers seat popped off so we found a cut off tree stump and drove one wheel up on it to give enough room to climb under and pop it back on.
    Last edited by Fummins; 05-23-2023 at 01:46 PM.
    Mirage videos:

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

BigMW (05-23-2023)

Attachment 25235
    looks like a squated truck(chromosomemobile)
    Mirage videos:

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

BigMW (05-23-2023),inuvik (05-23-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Attachment 25235
    looks like a squated truck(chromosomemobile)
    Looks like & sounds like a fun adventure!

I find it a bit ironic, because we all know you own a large truck & a very nice UTV.

The Mirage sort of looks like a large black bear going through the wilderness from a distance!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-24-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Looks like & sounds like a fun adventure!

I find it a bit ironic, because we all know you own a large truck & a very nice UTV.

The Mirage sort of looks like a large black bear going through the wilderness from a distance!
    Yeah, I was gonna take the truck, trailer and try to haul the car in the back of the camper to use for day trips. But ac compressor piled up in the truck last week so said eff it. I could have taken the wifes Sorento and made life way easier but I don't like beating the snot out of it and figured this'd be one hell of a trip with the car and it was! We knocked a few things off the bucket list camping at places we've both passed many times and wanted to camp at but couldn't fit our trailers, especially with the road basically being a quad/jeep trail in a lot of places. Car was amazing on fuel too, it idled for hours charging up camera's, drone, booster pack, etc...Couldn't believe every time we stopped for fuel it never took more than 20 liters (5 gallons). It cost maybe $100 or so for fuel in the car, it would have been closer to $600-800 using the truck and trailer. It would have been a lot slower going too but would have been way easier to pack up camp. It usually took us 4hrs to get up and back on the road every morning.
    We'll probably do this again but pack lighter and get some airbags for the rear end. Proper cargo rack mounted to the roof cause my roof had a huge dent in it after I pulled everything off lol. It mostly popped back out by hitting it up from the inside.

Mirage videos:

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (05-23-2023),Mark (05-24-2023)