Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From Mirage (hatch 2019) to Mirage (2021 G4 sedan)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

From Mirage (hatch 2019) to Mirage (2021 G4 sedan)

Quick comparison here between a 2019 Mirage hatchback and a 2021 Mirage G4 sedan.
    -I owned a 2019 Mirage SE Hatchback, 5spd manual from new until late 2020, about 20,000 miles of driving
    -I very recently purchased a 2021 Mirage G4 SE sedan, 5spd manual, also new. Not many miles on but enough to compare!

Hatchback vs Sedan:
    The sedan is longer of course. About 3" more legroom that takes it from "not quite Corolla legroom" on the Hatch to "not quite Camry legroom" on the G4, for lack of a better description. It makes all the difference in the world in my case, carseat.
    Sedan vs hatchback seems obvious but let me address that. As a "grocery getter" I love the convenience of a regular trunk. It is a larger amount of floor area, but you can't stack stuff nearly as high. It usually is easier to put stuff in a trunk, if it's loose items, things that don't stack well, etc. The hatchback is more versatile hands-down, but in my experience if you have to keep the rear seats up for passengers, the truck is generally easier to use, as long as it's big enough.

Weight: I'd like to think I can feel the 200lb or so extra from the G4, but it's definitely a marginal difference. If I didn't know it already, probably couldn't perceive the difference in acceleration.

Rear springs: I'm thinking the G4 rear springs must be stiffer than the hatch, but not by much. I may eventually find out if the VW spring swap fits on these sedans like it does on the hatches.

Handling:
    Google says the wheelbase of the G4 is 4" longer than the hatchback. I believe this results in the G4 feeling slightly more stable at 80mph. In a crosswind though, the added side area I think kind of makes it a wash. Both feel much safer at 80mph than an antique short wheelbase Jeep or a (stock and no sway bar and worn out suspension) Geo Metro. Wouldn't hesitate to run the interstate for many miles in either hatch or G4.

A/C: Ok this is more theoretical since the Southeast US has cooled from "A/C stays on wide open" to "turn it down a little now and then", but I *think* the G4 has a little advantage here because it doesn't try to cool the trunk like a hatch does. But it also has a more horizontal rear window (more sun in) and 3" more legroom... Maybe a wash, they are close.

2019 vs 2021:
    The pushbutton "fancy" A/C on 2021 in my opinion is inferior due to complexity with no real benefit other than more fan speeds to pick from.
    The 2021 comes with Forward Collision Mitigation, it hasn't saved me from anything yet, but if it ever does I guess it'll be worth it.
    The 2021 radio system is slightly different. Jury is out on better or worse, and still somewhat similar, especially compared to other brands.
    The 2021 comes with Falken tires but they aren't rated to last either. They do feel grippier than the Enasaves, but what doesn't? Both are fine usable LRR and also low tread life tires...
    Haven't yet discovered any other differences model-year related.

Vs "real cars"
    -Once I put a few thousand miles on a 2017 Fiat 500 (wife's car). Nobody ridiculed those too bad about noise or slowness, but hers was non-turbo and 6spd automatic and.... Almost as slow as a Mirage it felt, and lots of engine noise from the 4-cyl 1.4. Fiat is way smaller/less practical. Fiat handled a LOT better but got far worse mileage. Just awful, high twenties on occasion, mostly in the thirties doing stuff where the Mirages stay mid-40s and driving similarly.
    -Vs a 1993 Nissan Sentra. Owned one many years ago. The comparison reviewers make on power, noise, and "general feel" of a Mirage being similar to a 90's economy car is spot on. And my experience with this and a few others is, a 90's economy car is the Pinnacle of an efficient, not overdone car that is pleasant enough to drive that those who complain are very, very particular people. I've never had trouble carrying conversation in a Mirage or 90's economy car, even at 80mph. Try that in most any Jeep other than the last 2 generations...
    -Vs Jeep Gladiator, Ram 1500. Not much comparison. If you want a truck, get a truck. If you need a truck, get a truck. A mirage a s a lightweight trailer is incredibly handy. A real truck with car hauler trailer or similar is a game changer when you need it. The mileage and purchase price differences need no explanation...

Hope this is helpful if anybody is on the fence about a G4 vs hatchback. Both are awesome cars. G4 is a better "mostly does car stuff" machine in my opinion, due to the legroom and traditional trunk. Hatchback is a must-have if you need to carry bulky stuff inside the car.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to btoneone For This Useful Post:

daleWV (10-04-2021),Fummins (10-04-2021),inuvik (10-04-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Great review/comparison. I also like the point you mentioned about comparing the mirage to 90's economy cars, it's spot on!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Great review/comparison. I also like the point you mentioned about comparing the mirage to 90's economy cars, it's spot on!
    When I bought my 1990 Ford Festiva brand new for $5,300, the speed limit throughout the state of Wisconsin was 55 mph. We weren't driving these small little economy cars as fast back then. The speedometer on my Festiva only went to 85 mph. My 1981 Suzuki GS550T motorcycle was the same (speedometer maxed out @ 85 mph).

"In 1973, the U.S. Congress adopted a national maximum speed limit of 55 mph as an energy conservation measure. Then in 1987, Congress relaxed the rules to allow states to raise their speed limits on rural interstates to 65 mph, which Wisconsin did in 1996." May 20, 2015

I drove my 1990 Festiva until 2004, but I don't remember driving it as fast as I do today with my Mirage. The Festiva handled much better than my Mirage, but I attribute that to a Mazda designed car that didn't have power steering. Electric power steering doesn't do the Mirage any favors in handling (outside of parking).

I live in SW Wisconsin, & my parents live in NE Wisconsin. I've been making that drive for 35 years now. I can shave a 1/2 hour off that trip easily with today's speed limits. It would be more than that, but over half of that trip is still on 2-lane 55 mph highways.

My point is 1990 cars weren't expected to drive as fast as today's cars. Sometimes, I think my old Festiva handled a lot better than my Mirage, but I have to remind myself that I wasn't pushing it as hard back then.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Yeti (11-14-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Very interesting, I guess that explains the lower power of older cars back in the day, I noticed the Honda civic of 1990 has half the horse power of what the 2020 has. Thanks for the info!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Very interesting, I guess that explains the lower power of older cars back in the day, I noticed the Honda civic of 1990 has half the horse power of what the 2020 has. Thanks for the info!
    My first car was a used 1978 Honda Civic Wagon. It had 63 horsepower. Ironically, my 1990 Ford Festiva (designed by Mazda, built by KIA, sold by Ford) had 63 horsepower, too! Fuel injection in 1990 was a big improvement, however. The 1988-89 Festiva had a carburetor. I don't miss carburetors on cars!

I remember my 1978 Honda Civic had a hand choke button the dash. That car never saw a speed limit over 55 mph while I owned it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Yeti (11-14-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Wow those are really neat, I've always been fond of old civics!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts
    I always wanted a mid-90's Civic HB, VX trim level with a 5 speed manual. They had a lean burn tune from the factory and were EPA rated for 56 mpg highway. This tune was later outlawed due to the high Nox emissions (I think it was) it put out. I think the hp was in the 100 hp range.

I was a poor college kid during those times so I couldn't afford one. Later when I was at the point I could afford one because they were used and I was making money, they had already started converting them into import tuner turds. Today you'd be lucky to find one anywhere near stock form. The ricer turner kids that bought the VX never knew what they were and commenced to crap them out with "upgrades."

On edit: I think it might have been a 51 hwy mpg rating, and I believe it was 96 hp. I just looked them back up, there were also a 2 door maybe a skosh bigger than our Mirage. However, our Mirage is a more useful vehicle with 4 doors. Other than the missing 2 doors and superfluous cylinder/piston, it was a lot like our Mirage.
    Last edited by 7milesout; 11-15-2021 at 05:23 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    We have a hatch and the G4 in our family too. I prefer driving the G4, especially on road trips.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

inuvik (11-15-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Which do you prefer when you're racing through the Walmart parking lot, slaloming shopping carts and pedestrians racing for a front row parking spot? Do you feel Mitsubishi should have dialed in the suspension more accurately to increase your chances of being the winner to the front row spot?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Which do you prefer when you're racing through the Walmart parking lot, slaloming shopping carts and pedestrians racing for a front row parking spot? Do you feel Mitsubishi should have dialed in the suspension more accurately to increase your chances of being the winner to the front row spot?
    I wish Toyota would of kept at it with their Scion division. They were reliable and AFFORDABLE, something that can't be said now because of the Toyota tax. Toyota will always be king but they need at least one affordable econobox in their lineup IMO. They axed the Yaris and a base Corolla is well over 20 grand now. You'd think they'd be able to read the tea leaves, the avg American will be poorer than their parents were 20 years in the future.