Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BLASTING Down the Quarter Mile...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 1,035 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I guess we'll just have to meet up and race 7miles.
    Gotta keep it on the track. We can't be risking life and limb, and that of innocent bystanders by brutalizing pavement just so we can know.

Plus, at the track, they give you a slip of paper after your run. And the data on that slip of paper is an engineer's wet dreams.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 1,035 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    This is a fun one. Maybe I'll rent a mirage - since all of them renters are CVT and ask the wife to drive it. We both go to the 1/4 mile and I'll let you know.
    If you do, keep the race slip, and let me know all the data. Theoretically, we could have a MirageForum "On-Paper Drag Race." I have an excel document that will randomly match up race entries. And then I can plug in weight of car + driver, reaction time, elapsed time, and trap speed. Then my spreadsheet could randomly match up pairs of driver's. Then with everyone's best numbers from their race slip, the excel sheet can determine round winners, randomly set up the next round and run that too. Until a winner is determined. Top 3, as well as the spreadsheet can determine who's Mirage put out the most horsepower (likely might be the winner of the race too).
    `
    Nothing is as fun as actually doing it. But an on-paper contest might be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by allrock View Post
    CVT is a lot heavier than the MT its big factor if your talking about drag race
    . Can someone tell me Ed Zachery the weight delta of the CVT? Seems like what I remember is that 100 pounds slows a car by ~0.1 seconds on the quarter mile. For our low power / low weight vehicles, perhaps it costs a little more time that than. But don't worry, my heft goes a long way to make up for the additional weight of the CVT.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    There's always 1 guy with a slow POS at Test and Tune night...
    You are sooooo RIGHT. My '72 Scamp would run a mid 13 second quarter if it had any gription off the line. But I'm running almost Mirage tires on it. Lower quality 215 x 14" tires. It's the factory size, or very close to it. It gives the car a very sleeper look. And I had the good ole open diff too, but changed it to an Eaton TrueTrac diff. IMHO, the best all around diff for my application. In any event, with my street tires, they don't build enough heat with a burnout to be of any use to do it. It might help me a bit to do a quick spin to knock off any small debris, but I did that once and the engine stalled after the quick spin. My car is somewhat loud, but not like other cars there, so I had a hard time cranking it back up because I couldn't hear it. So, I just skip it all together. Drive around the water, choose the stickiest looking tire tracks I can find, and baby it for probably 100 feet.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've got a set of drag radials on Mopar "Cop Wheels" that would hook that Scamp right up...
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    hahah im a ***** my luck id pop the rubber band but it would be fun!!!!

you must go slow to go fasssst

check us out and say hi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrU...gkC80APKc3cDrA