Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BLASTING Down the Quarter Mile...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts

BLASTING Down the Quarter Mile...

Guys (and gals),

I've taken a few of my cars down the quarter mile. So much fun, for so cheap. I still take my ole 1972 Plymouth Scamp down the quarter mile from time to time, just for giggles.

Not that I would take the Blueberry down the quarter mile, but I've been wondering a couple things.

1. Considering bone stock mighty Mirages, which would win a full quarter mile drag race? A 5 speed or a CVT?
    2. Has anyone here taken their Mirage down the quarter mile and is willing to admit it?

I'll be honest, I'd be interested in taking a washing machine down the quarter mile if it had wheels on it. I'm just goofy like that. It's just a fun thing to do, and yields very interesting information.

As for question 1: I think a 5 speed would beat the CVT at least through first and 2nd gear. But after that, with that CVT holding the engine steady at what, 5,500 rpm - 6,000 rpm, I think when letting off a 5 speed to switch to 3rd gear, that CVT car is going to be making inroads back at the 5 speed. And the 5 speed is going to be down on hp for a couple / few seconds at the beginning of 3rd gear.

So I don't know, maybe that CVT might WHOMP a 5 speed on the quarter mile.

What say you? Anyone? Questions? Comments? Concerns? Suggestions? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    A 5MT is going to be the CVT all day every day. CVTs are not known for their performance. That being said, I don't know if I ever found an instrument-tested 0-60 or 1/4 mile time for a 5MT Mirage or Space Star with the 1.2.

The ability to allow for some wheelsping (e.g. "dumping the clutch") should be enough to allow for a holeshot in terms of drag racing. I never ran my Mirage down the drag strip, but I've run numerous other cars.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Having owned both, the CVT would never EVER catch up to the 5MT. Manual car would be so far out front it wouldn't be funny.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

daleWV (10-04-2021),Subcompact Culture (10-05-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Your reply follows my question pretty close. I think my "argument" still holds water. Like I said, off the line I have to believe the 5 speed wins. But there's value in holding one's foot to the floor and holding the engine near max torque/hp. I raced a CVT vehicle one time (a rental car versus a Kia 5 speed car) when I worked at the Kia plant.

I expected my Kia whatever it was 5 speed to win that race. But it was Ed Zachery as I splained. I beat him off the line, but once we got to 3rd gear and had some TIME to let them (sort of) dig, the bigger CVT vehicle with about an equivalent 4 banger eased on past me. I was surprised. Maybe it would be the same with the CVT Mirage.

I've been searching for hard data, versus just opinions, and haven't found it yet.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Totally different scenario imo and I think its because 74 horses just aint enough (coupled with the CVT programming perhaps).

I have thrashed plenty of CVT rentals and since they are seemingly always in the powerband (1-200 more than the Mirage) they are surprisingly quick, but the poor little Mirage just doesn't do that unless you put it in D1 or S or whatever and then it seems much quicker but almost wound out at 55ish.

IDK, my CVT is admittedly a dog, but I just don't see one ever besting the manual.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

daleWV (10-04-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    ... unless you put it in D1 or S or whatever and then it seems much quicker...
    Gonna go bust out the manual and see what D1 or S does. I really don't know. But those selections if quicker, are totally legit to race against the 5 speed.

I'm leaning towards the 5speed winning. It's considerably lighter so there's that. Mine wouldn't rev past 5000 rpm when floored in drive. It'd go to 5 and stay there as you accelerated. That was with an 8 year old engine with bearings on the way out and an iffy cvt though. I haven't tried that with the new setup yet.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    ...I think when letting off a 5 speed to switch to 3rd gear...
    Who lifts off the gas between gears?!?

Motorweek ran 18.8 @ 75mph in a 2015 CVT...

Name:  motorweek.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  45.3 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

7milesout (10-05-2021),Fummins (10-05-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Gonna go bust out the manual and see what D1 or S does. I really don't know. But those selections if quicker, are totally legit to race against the 5 speed.
    Yah, put it in "L or B" (2014-2015 "B", 2017+ "L") before mashing the throttle and LEAVE it in L or B and upshift into Ds or D at 60mph and don't let up off the throttle. You can do about 70mph / 110kmh in the low range.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    "Mash" the throttle ... hehehe. I have a friend who would have a conniption any time he heard the word mash being used outside of mashed potatoes. He was such a nerd (still is) about it.

I say we need some data. I don't think I could bring myself to go to the drag strip and test my Mirage ... at least not by myself. But if good ole Dirk Diggler (or anyone else local / somewhat local / or just plain wanted to) could be convinced to bring his mighty Mirage or G4 and go with me, then maybe it wouldn't be so embarrassing.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-05-2021)