Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: New wheel bearings blues on my older 2014.........

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If I remember this story correctly, this mechanic gave Dirk a quote for the job a few years ago. That quote included aftermarket parts that turned out not to work on his Mirage. The Mechanic ate most of the cost of having to buy more expensive OEM parts to finish the job. He may have even lost money on that job by sticking with his original quote? If that is the case, I wouldn't mind throwing a bit more money his direction.

Small town mechanics are a blessing (compared to dealerships sometimes). I don't mind supporting the good ones! Not all dealerships are bad either.

I would be bummed about a failed bearing at 40,000 miles, but stuff like that happens. OEM parts aren't always superior, but an aftermarket one can fail, too!

Time does fly! It seems like only yesterday, Dirk had his rear drums/brakes replaced.
    Good memory Mark! That's exactly how it went down.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Update: the wheel bearing didn't come on the delivery vehicle by mistake so instead of waiting around another 4 hours I just went home using Lyft. They'll call me tomorrow when/if the car is fixed. I'm looking at $137 for new front pads, another $30 for full synthetic oil change, no idea how much for the wheel bearing, and no idea for the labor charge. I'm looking at probably around $400 total is my guess.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Final entry update: Total bill was $464 dollars. I don't have the itemized receipt yet, I'll get that tomorrow morning when I go and pick it up. Seems like a lot of money for brake pads, oil change, and one new wheel bearing. I wonder if they charged me for labor while the car just sat on a lift for 3 hours while they were waiting on the part?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You sure could buy a **** ton of Harbor Freight tools for $464. I swear I am not picking on you, but honestly trying to help you. These cars are stupid easy to work on...
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    You sure could buy a **** ton of Harbor Freight tools for $464. I swear I am not picking on you, but honestly trying to help you. These cars are stupid easy to work on...
    And I hear you and appreciate the advice but I work 50 hour work weeks mostly on my feet, dealing with ornery donor patients, my off time I'm exhausted amigo. I simply don't have the time nor the space as an apartment dweller lol. I figure the vast majority of drivers don't wrench on their cars so for any lurkers on here, they can read the prices and experiences of simply going to a trusted mechanic.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Basic (10-06-2021),Fummins (10-06-2021),inuvik (10-05-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Name:  20211006_082429.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  85.1 KB
    They killed me in labor waiting for that part.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    $100 wheel bearing. They must of used a Mitsu parts center.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    "Cleaned and adjusted rear brakes" = spray half a can of Brakleen on your self-adjusting brakes before putting the drums back on.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (10-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    $100 wheel bearing. They must of used a Mitsu parts center.
    Hard to say. I don't know how it is down there but up here nobody can sell parts as cheap as rockauto can. Rockauto want's $78(cad) for an skf bearing but local retail here price is $155cad (122usd).

Nothing on that invoice is too out to lunch. It's all perspective, everyone can sit here and say you got screwed but if it's fixed and you're happy who cares.
    Unless you can con 7milesout or someone else who has a place to work and willing to help you out next time this is what you're gonna pay.

$50 oil change seems a little steep though. I guess now you're even for having them eat the extra cost of those expensive mitsu drums years back.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (10-06-2021),Top_Fuel (10-06-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Hard to say. I don't know how it is down there but up here nobody can sell parts as cheap as rockauto can. Rockauto want's $78(cad) for an skf bearing but local retail here price is $155cad (122usd).

Nothing on that invoice is too out to lunch. It's all perspective, everyone can sit here and say you got screwed but if it's fixed and you're happy who cares.
    Unless you can con 7milesout or someone else who has a place to work and willing to help you out next time this is what you're gonna pay.

$50 oil change seems a little steep though. I guess now you're even for having them eat the extra cost of those expensive mitsu drums years back.
    Yeah its a premium on labor at my shop but their reputation is stellar after 40 years of being open. The owner is 81 and a straight shooter type. They've never up saled me unnecessarily IMO. I'm not thrilled with the price but not angry either. I'll always support independent mechanics vs giant corporate shops. The former just has better customer service IMO. This is a shop that helps folks out, often working out payment plans and letting a customer drive off with trust that they'll pay the remainder of the bill. I appreciate that old school mentality of giving someone the opportunity to earn your trust.