Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New wheel bearings blues on my older 2014.........

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts

New wheel bearings blues on my older 2014.........

So on my usual highway commute to work I've been experiencing a howling noise any time I'm over 45 mph. Its getting really loud and sounds like I got a bad wheel bearing in the back. I'm hoping its just that and not that I need a new set of drums. I did a complete brake job 40k miles ago and I'm going to be pissed if I need new drums again. The 1st I had them replaced was a nightmare. My trusted shop couldn't find aftermarkets that fit for my early 2014 until the shop owner ended up having to go to a Mitsu dealer that isn't even open anymore. The reason I mention drums is the 1st time this happened I thought it was a wheel bearing but it turned out my drums were shot to hell, the brake shoes were super thin and I needed new front pads. At least my rotors could be resurfaced, I doubt that'll be possible this time. I'm taking her in this Wednesday so pray for me that they can even find parts let alone a $1k repair bill. I love my Mirages but these shop prices are insane for an economy car!

When you had your drums replaced did they come with wheel bearings or did they reuse your old ones?
    Rotors are so cheap they're not even worth turning imo.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    When you had your drums replaced did they come with wheel bearings or did they reuse your old ones?
    Rotors are so cheap they're not even worth turning imo.
    That's a great question. The OEM drums come with wheel bearings already IIRC. I'm 98% sure they'd of put the new ones in, this is a highly reputable shop that's been in business 40 plus years I trust them to do the right thing. If its the drums I'm going to be pissed they're already shot @ 40k miles. I'm not hard on brakes nor ride them all the time. There's no reason brand new shouldn't last at least 80k miles even with those rail thin brake shoes. You think the noise could be something else entirely? The noise isn't the same as last time. Its a pulsating hum now.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Bro I promise you that brakes aren't hard. Fummins and I can walk you through it I swear.

PS, just checked and Rockauto has drums
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    That's a great question. The OEM drums come with wheel bearings already IIRC. I'm 98% sure they'd of put the new ones in, this is a highly reputable shop that's been in business 40 plus years I trust them to do the right thing. If its the drums I'm going to be pissed they're already shot @ 40k miles. I'm not hard on brakes nor ride them all the time. There's no reason brand new shouldn't last at least 80k miles even with those rail thin brake shoes. You think the noise could be something else entirely? The noise isn't the same as last time. Its a pulsating hum now.
    Okay, yeah oem mitsu drums would have came with the bearings already installed.
    Could be tire noise? Or just need a wheel bearing. It shouldn’t be a $1000 fix lol

One cheap fix is to turn the radio up.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    Bro I promise you that brakes aren't hard. Fummins and I can walk you through it I swear.

PS, just checked and Rockauto has drums
    My shop won't warranty Rock Auto parts I don't think but I appreciate it. I have none of the tools necessary unfortunately. No, I'm documenting the average Joe experience on here. Namely, the adventure of going to independent shops and seeing how difficult it can be with our rare little cars lol. I'll post results.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Okay, yeah oem mitsu drums would have came with the bearings already installed.
    Could be tire noise? Or just need a wheel bearing. It shouldn’t be a $1000 fix lol

One cheap fix is to turn the radio up.
    It'll be $500 to $700 if its the drums I bet.

Drive it up here then. It’s not that far. You can buy legal weed and we have been rat free for many moons. Attachment 22212 should be able to make it with 5 fill ups or so. Is that right or is my math way out?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (10-05-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Drive it up here then. It’s not that far. You can buy legal weed and we have been rat free for many moons. Attachment 22212 should be able to make it with 5 fill ups or so. Is that right or is my math way out?
    Lolol! Man I'd love too see the Great White North. I wish Canada was the 51st state, I'd move there in a heartbeat!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,541 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    You think the noise could be something else entirely? The noise isn't the same as last time.
    It's hard to believe you wiped out the new OEM wheel bearings in your drums in 40K miles.

What kind of off-brand, discount-barn Wuhan GT radial tires are you running these days...and how many miles are on them?

Seriously...when cheap tires start wearing they can sound like crap (Hello Basic...is this thing on?!? ). Lots of people have assumed they had a wheel bearing issue when the noise was coming from the tires.

You might try rotating them and see if the the noise changes or moves (the noise was out back...now it seems like it's up front after rotating them). Or maybe swap the wheels/tires on your other Mirage onto this one and see if the noise disappears. This won't cost much and it might save you some cash/grief.

Don't just throw parts at it and hope the noise goes away.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Basic (10-05-2021),Dirk Diggler (10-05-2021),Eggman (10-05-2021)