Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just arrived here!

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Just arrived here!

Hi ! We just bought a '21 Mirage ES with nearly every option as standard. Quick review of maintenance scedule shows transmission maintenance every 30000 miles. Price check at selling dealer was $350 USD plus tax! No way am I going to pay that!

The trans dip stick seems stuck. What's the force or twist required to get it out?

Karl

Welcome!

I haven't seen a 21' in person but assume the dipstick is the same as the older ones. Is is just a white knob on the end of the stick? They can be sticky. Should just pull out. If you can't see any obvious lock on the handle like some Nissans have then try twisting it and pulling it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (10-21-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Welcome!

I haven't seen a 21' in person but assume the dipstick is the same as the older ones. Is is just a white knob on the end of the stick? They can be sticky. Should just pull out. If you can't see any obvious lock on the handle like some Nissans have then try twisting it and pulling it.
    Thanks for the rapid response!
    So if I decide to service the trans myself does the warranty become void because I did not have it done at a dealer?

I would be inclined to leave the pan filter where it is and replace the cartridge at the change. What do you think?

I'm no US warranty expert but I believe you should be okay unless you really mess something up in the process and or don't keep your receipts.

I'd personally change the cartridge filter more often than the one in the pan. The cartridge is paper and the one in the pan is a fine mesh screen. If in doubt change both. These are pretty finicky about fluid level. There are post's around here somewhere on how to check fluid level based on fluid temps. Or just measure what you got out and pour the same back in.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (10-21-2021),MetroMPG (10-21-2021)

Welcome to the forum, Crossbolt!

What on Earth prompted you to buy a Mitsubishi Mirage??

What were you driving before?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Welcome to the forum, Crossbolt!

What on Earth prompted you to buy a Mitsubishi Mirage??

What were you driving before?
    Our previous small car was a Chevy Spark. Had a sealed (no dipstick) CVT trans with 3-speed auto ahead of it including a torque "converter." Developed a head gasket seep and the GM dealer techs/service writer said there was no leak. So I gave them back their car. Have had a series of KIA's with sealed transmissions. Good for the life of the car....said so in operator manual.
    Wife got the hots for a gas saver because of gas price trends and she selected this one. Now, years ago I had a K car with a 2.6 Mitsu engine. The engine was the best part of that car! Sold it at 177000 miles....
    Karl

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,416 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBOLT View Post
    Thanks for the rapid response!
    So if I decide to service the trans myself does the warranty become void because I did not have it done at a dealer?
    No, your warranty is good. Just don't screw it up what you do yourself. I personally don't / can't keep up with receipts. But I keep a log of maintenance and cost, in my smartphone on the fuelly app. Mostly likely what breaks would be some accessory that never needed service anyway. But say I had a valvetrain problem at 95k miles. When they look in there, even if they questioned my maintenance record, that valvetrain is going to be clean due to my maintenance and quality fluids. So the problem would have to be unrelated to my maintenance. I might still get pinched in some way, but I just can't hang on to stupid receipts long enough that it would ever matter. I don't know if my fuelly records would be respected or not. I'm sure they *could* say they are no good. But that's the chance I take.

The Magnusson-Moss Act protects your rights to maintain your vehicle without voiding the warranty (at least in the states). And, not only does it do that, but let's say you replace your exhaust with headers and a turndown / dump just past the header collector, and then the door handle breaks off at 30k miles. The dealer can't say, "nope your warranty is void because you changed your exhaust." They can't void the entire vehicle's warranty based on an unrelated modification. Now if you go in to the dealer with burnt exhaust valves and you had installed headers and that dump I mentioned, they very likely to tell you pound sand, the cost is on you. And they'd be correct in that case. P.S. Not saying that exhaust described would lead to burnt valves, that's just an example.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (10-21-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBOLT View Post
    Now, years ago I had a K car with a 2.6 Mitsu engine. The engine was the best part of that car! Sold it at 177000 miles....
    Hell yes! I have a 1981 Plymouth Reliant wagon with the 2.6L Mitsubishi engine. It, and other Chrysler's I've owned with Mitsu powerplants, is why I decided to purchase some Mitsubishi vehicles.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (10-21-2021)

Funny: my parents bought a first year Dodge Caravan when we were kids. It had the optional Mitsu 2.6 in it, and it was a disaster! The thing burned oil, ate piston rings, had bad ring gear, etc. It spent a lot of time in the shop.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Welcome!

Yep, pulled right out! I'm REAL careful about forcing things.

Karl