Thread: Weird noise

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Weird noise ***SOLVED***

Hi there!
    I just wanted to preface this by saying I tried searching some relevant phrases and words, but nothing came up.

Anyway, I've had my 2015 Mirage for about 4 years now, and it's begun making odd noises.

It sounded like a hesitantly intermittent sort of groan (best word I could think of) whenever I'd accelerate a little heavily on the highway, or from a complete stop.
    It's also making this sort of knocking noise when I'm idling in drive.

Here you can hear the knocking noise while I'm idling, and that groan when I accelerate:
    https://youtube.com/shorts/ObjXcbo5xlE?feature=share

Here is me driving on the highway, you can hear that roaring sputter when I hit the gas hard:
    https://youtube.com/shorts/uI8SrkdpBF8?feature=share

Edit:
    The knocking noise/groan was from the square, rubber thing that holds the exhaust pipe to the car's frame. The engine was shaking the heck out of the exhaust pipe, banging it against the heat shield.

Last edited by Bbarletta21; 10-19-2021 at 12:55 AM.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    Probably the most simple thing to do would be to raise the hood and have a good look at the air filter box and the snorkel. Check that everything is together as it should be, the two clamps closed, and check the air filter while you are at it. Look for the obvious. Good luck.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the response.
    I was initially leaning towards an intake/fuel combustion issue, but when I drove to work thus morning, I could hear a sort of vibrating rattle while idling.
    It went away as soon as I started driving.

I have a slew of items on the way, so fingers crossed something works.

What foama said. That's the most common source of vibration/noise. The snorkle flops around and wears out the airbox where they connect. The rubber bushing that mount the airbox wear out too then wear out the airbox itself til the entire thing violently rattles away. Especially at idle.

Next is the heat shield on the exhaust behind the front cat.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It does seem like that might be the cause of the noise.

It looks like there is a tremendous amount of play on the motor mount gasket, but all the bolts seem tightened.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bbarletta21 View Post
    It does seem like that might be the cause of the noise.

It looks like there is a tremendous amount of play on the motor mount gasket, but all the bolts seem tightened.
    I would always do the simple first. I would remove the snorkel leading to the air filter. If it's off & the noise goes away, I would reattached it in a way that eliminates some of the vibration/rattle. If that's not the issue, then I would consider other items like engine mounts.

Many members have mentioned a loose snorkel. Engine mount issues don't see that common for this car even though these 3 cylinders do vibrate & shake.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thank you kindly for your replies:

With the help of a second hand, we were able to determine that its not the intake box itself, but more than likely (hopefully) the engine mounts.

It still makes that groaning noise when accelerating, which sounds almost identical to bad CV joints, except that it does it when driving straight as well.

But when shifting gears, you can see the engine physically move/lurch quite a bit.
    Combined with the excessive vibration that's making the snorkel shake so much to begin with, I'm praying that we've got the problem pinned down.

Are you saying the rubber dust cover on the right hand(passenger side) mount is flappy? They are like they from new. These are 3 cylinder engines. They vibrate and shake at idle. If you don’t secure the snorkel early on it’ll wear out. Do a search. The engine rocks back and forth when shifting between drive and reverse.
    It might be worth removing the lower mount snd checking for debris in the subframe, I’ve seen gravel stuck in behind causing a bad vibration/noise when on the throttle.

I saw a video on you tube with some hillbillies crying that their new mirage engine shook at idle so it was broken. I thought it was a joke but they were just touched.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)