Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review: There's A Seriously Good Case For The 2021 Mitsubishi Mirage (tflcar.com)

Review: There's A Seriously Good Case For The 2021 Mitsubishi Mirage (tflcar.com)

I always thought the tflcar.com guys were slightly odd ducks, and now I have proof: a very down to earth review of a rental Mirage!

Starts off...

Not many folks take the 2021 Mitsubishi Mirage seriously.

I could go after the 2021 Mitsubishi Mirage and rip it for being cheap and gutless. That’s what a lot do. Not only does it catch a bad reputation for its very existence, but even my forgiving wife hated this rental. Hell, I get glazed looks and sneers for simply appreciating Mitsubishi’s value proposition of their vehicles from my fellow journalists.
    Fine, I get it. What everyone seems to forget, or ignore, is how good this little car is at doing what it’s supposed to do — save drachma ($$$)
    He even writes about how he asked Mitsu USA to borrow a manual Mirage to write up a "cheaper than flying" road trip adventure, and they didn't even get back to him. Bad Mitsubishi!

Check it out:

https://tflcar.com/2021/09/2021-mits...mirage-review/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

2of9 (10-15-2021),Alpha_One (10-20-2021),Fummins (10-13-2021)

But wait! There's more!

So they also made a video with the Mirage rental:

I haven't watched it yet, but apparently it may not be as glowing as the written review. It annoyed a Mirage owner enough to send them an e-mail!

You guys are just like Doug mocking the Mitsubishi Mirage with no thought for its owners.

Have you ever understood what people are going through when they buy a car like this? Do you guys even care about people who make less than $50,000 per year? I bought my Mirage in 2015 and it was my first new car purchase. I know it’s slow but that is no problem in traffic. It parks anywhere and I never worry about it being a target. My 2016 Mirage has over 150,000 miles on it and I never had a major problem. It’s a five speed and my only warranty repair was for the air conditioning system. I paid it off last April and it just sips gas. Say what you want about poor people’s cars. But I am grateful to drive something this inexpensive. I tell you Nathan that I am proud of my little car and I have no regrets.
    — Dale from Long Beach, CA
    Nathan replies to Dale on this page:

Ask Nathan: Positive Nissan EV Pickup Plans, Mocking The Mitsubishi Mirage, And No Time to Die?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    From a 2014 model to the 2021 model, the Mirage has made A LOT of "comfy" improvements, lcd screen, backup camera, cruise control, usb plugs, etc. Minor things but the 2021 is definitely an improvement. Good to see these reviews about the 2021!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 2of9 For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (12-30-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Eh, honestly that video is completely fair. It is slow. It is small. And if you put 750 pounds of meat in it (that's what she said) It's going to go slower and feel smaller. Those valid criticisms have to be presented with the caveat that it is supremely efficient, heavily refined for reliability, and was for many years a tremendous bargain new, which they did. Taking the piss out of it being slow and small is totally okay in this context. It isn't, say, 20 minutes of nit picking in an overly dramatic, pearl clutchy way, for instance.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spadesheart For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (12-30-2021),MetroMPG (10-15-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spadesheart View Post
    Eh, honestly that video is completely fair. It is slow. It is small. And if you put 750 pounds of meat in it (that's what she said) It's going to go slower and feel smaller. Those valid criticisms have to be presented with the caveat that it is supremely efficient, heavily refined for reliability, and was for many years a tremendous bargain new, which they did. Taking the piss out of it being slow and small is totally okay in this context. It isn't, say, 20 minutes of nit picking in an overly dramatic, pearl clutchy way, for instance.
    And in the end, they get their clicks. After all every ad served is what pays their bills.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2of9 View Post
    From a 2014 model to the 2021 model, the Mirage has made A LOT of "comfy" improvements, lcd screen, backup camera, cruise control, usb plugs, etc. Minor things but the 2021 is definitely an improvement. Good to see these reviews about the 2021!
    I don't think there were any changes to the Mirage from 2017 to 2020.

Mitsubishi took existing features on upper trim levels and made some of them standard for the base (ES) trim level (& the LE). Trim levels like the SE & GT didn't change at all during that time period, because they weren't adding any new features to the Mirage. The RF appeared one year, but that's about it during that time period.

OK, I finally watched the video.

0-60 MPH, at high elevation, with 4 adults in the car, and a CVT.

Almost 20 seconds.

Anybody surprised?

Aside from that, I think he (Nathan) defends the car's strong points, which we all know.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    During the Mitsubishi Mirage test, one of the guys sitting in the back says off the cuff, the Mirage "roomier than the Mini, and more headroom"

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I take reviews with a grain of salt. I bought it as a drive to work vehicle. Occasional Skywarn Use too.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    OK, I finally watched the video.

0-60 MPH, at high elevation, with 4 adults in the car, and a CVT.

Almost 20 seconds.

Anybody surprised?

Aside from that, I think he (Nathan) defends the car's strong points, which we all know.
    That high elevation must make a big difference because I drove hundreds of Uber trips with 3+ me in the car and I never experienced a 20 second 0-60 time. If I had, I probably be dead driving in Atlanta for 300 miles a day. It wasn't 12 seconds or the usual time our cars are rated, but more like 15 seconds.