Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heater core replacement easier?

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts

Heater core replacement easier?

In YeePay they are now offering these heater cores. Picture taken from the ad. The big difference is the connection to the in- and outlet tubes. That might enable easier replacement without the need to take the entire dashboard out. See for yourself:

Name:  Heater core.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  78.0 KB

January 2022 EDIT:

There are now at least two different sources for core replacements:

Thermotec D65003TT

Nissens 707183

Last edited by foama; 01-09-2022 at 11:48 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

daleWV (10-18-2021),Fummins (01-14-2022),MetroMPG (10-21-2021),Top_Fuel (10-16-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    It’s worth a try. Looks like the tubing connection would be a stronger improvement over the original design.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    That would be very nice. Taking the dash out is very time consuming.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I was reviewing the pics in the DIY Heater Core Replacement thread to remind myself what a nightmare this job would be.

I wonder if this guy used something similar. I remember when he posted telling us that you didn't need to remove the dash and he could replace a Mirage heater core in 90 minutes. Of course he never came back to share any useful details.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    You might be able to do this with the crimped style core. While installing mine, I got a little too ambitious with test fitting and tore the tube out of the core a bit. I was able to re-crimp the tabs on the core so it didn't leak. However, I wouldn't recommend this as a good way to do things. Aluminum isn't known known for its ductility and it doesn't take much to break it.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (10-18-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    You might be able to do this with the crimped style core. While installing mine, I got a little too ambitious with test fitting and tore the tube out of the core a bit. I was able to re-crimp the tabs on the core so it didn't leak. However, I wouldn't recommend this as a good way to do things. Aluminum isn't known known for its ductility and it doesn't take much to break it.
    I was thinking the same thing. The tabs don't create the seal here. It seems like there are o-rings between the pipes and the core which create the seal, much like with this aftermarket core, and the tabs really just keep the tubes from backing out.

If the tabs could be carefully bent to remove them from the old core and carefully re-bent on the new core we should be able to leave the original pipes in situ?

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. The tabs don't create the seal here. It seems like there are o-rings between the pipes and the core which create the seal, much like with this aftermarket core, and the tabs really just keep the tubes from backing out.

If the tabs could be carefully bent to remove them from the old core and carefully re-bent on the new core we should be able to leave the original pipes in situ?

The tabs are part of the heater core itself, the part needing to be replaced anyway. The aftermarket core looks like it might fit onto the original pipes. Even if not, it doesn't matter! The core and pipes could be separated and removed seperately, piece by piece, thus no taking the dash out.
    When installing the new core and pipes, those three pieces can be put in one at a time, again no need for taking the dash out. That new sort of tube/core connection saves us a lot of worries and effort.

@ Daox: With your experience, do you think it can be done without even removing the heater box from the firewall? Sort of sliding the core out in situ?
    Last edited by foama; 10-19-2021 at 10:49 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    The tabs are part of the heater core itself, the part needing to be replaced anyway. The aftermarket core looks like it might fit onto the original pipes. Even if not, it doesn't matter. The core and pipes could be separated and removed seperately, thus no taking the dash out.
    When putting the new core and pipes back in, those three pieces can be put in one at a time, again no need for taking the dash out. This sort of tube/core connection saves us a lot of worries and effort.
    Agreed. It seems that perhaps the core you showed wasn't intended to make installation easier, but rather just came as a some-assembly-required version of the cores that already come in these cars? Or does the description of this core make mention of it's ease of installation?

The only thing I would be worried about with regard to crimping the tubes back onto a factory or aftermarket replacement core is the amount of space under the dash required to successfully accomplish it.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Agreed. It seems that perhaps the core you showed wasn't intended to make installation easier, but rather just came as a some-assembly-required version of the cores that already come in these cars? Or does the description of this core make mention of it's ease of installation?

The only thing I would be worried about with regard to crimping the tubes back onto a factory or aftermarket replacement core is the amount of space under the dash required to successfully accomplish it.
    The heater box is made by DENSO, and just about every japanese engineered car has them. Probably that core fit in dozens of different cars, except for the connection pipes. Some maker seems to use that same fits-many-cars core and simply add the appropriate pipes.

I have layed backwards on the driver seat with feet in the air and head near the gas pedal before, and I may say, its probably the most uncomfortable position thinkable. After coming back up, I had multiple bruises, aches and pains, looked like being in a fight with mister universe... I don't want to repeat that if not absolutely necessary.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    The heater box is made by DENSO, and just about every japanese engineered car has them. Probably that core fit in dozens of different cars, except for the connection pipes. Some maker seems to use that same fits-many-cars core and simply add the appropriate pipes.

I have layed backwards on the driver seat with feet in the air and head near the gas pedal before, and I may say, its probably the most uncomfortable position thinkable. After coming back up, I had multiple bruises, aches and pains, looked like being in a fight with mister universe... I don't want to repeat that if not absolutely necessary.
    I think you are right. For some reason, this retailer just decided to include the generic core with the appropriate tubing for the Mirage. The consumer does the final assembly, making this core somewhat inadvertently genius!

My plan when I do this is to remove the driver's seat, remove the jack, and lay down pillows. LOTS and LOTS of pillows.