Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this car the easiest to change front brake/rotors ?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Is this car the easiest to change front brake/rotors ? + rubber grease discussion

Took me about 1 careful hour. The hardest part was getting the wheel lug nuts off. There are just 2 guide bolts barely tightened on holding the setup together. Unscrew those and you have access to both brake pads and rotor. Some kind of C clamp to push the brake piston back in for clearance and you're good. Nice 1 mitsubishi

Last edited by Sipperofgas; 10-24-2021 at 06:25 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sipperofgas View Post
    Took me about 1 careful hour. The hardest part was getting the wheel lug nuts off. There are just 2 guide bolts barely tightened on holding the setup together. Unscrew those and you have access to both brake pads and rotor. Some kind of C clamp to push the brake piston back in for clearance and you're good. Nice 1 mitsubishi
    Next time you change them it will only take 30 min. They are incredibly easy.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I went with the PS kit from RA. Very quiet, but might be just because it's new.

I really like the design of the caliper bracket. It allows us to remove the caliper, pads and rotor without having to remove the bracket itself. None of my previous cars had this design. Maybe my i-MiEV had this design but i never serviced the front brakes during my time of ownership.

This past summer i learned that replacing the rubber seals in the slide pins is best when working on the front brakes. I learnt this the hard way when my right caliper was no longer sliding correctly and caused my right pads to wear unevenly and i had to replace them prematurely. The old seals were swollen and no longer sliding properly. I panicked and thought I was going to have to replace the entire caliper.

Sometimes it costs more to be cheap and not pay attention to these little details. Fortunately i was able to salvage my rotors before they became scored and ruined. Now my brakes are wearing evenly and work great again.

Name:  PXL_20210917_050617062.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  93.1 KB
    Name:  PXL_20210917_050634419.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  97.8 KB
    Name:  PXL_20211010_224948597.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  86.7 KB
    Last edited by davidricardo86; 10-18-2021 at 11:25 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to davidricardo86 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (10-18-2021),inuvik (10-18-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidricardo86 View Post
    I really like the design of the caliper bracket.
    Great pictures.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    its very easy until that rubber on the caliper bolt buldge.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allrock For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (10-19-2021),davidricardo86 (11-12-2021)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidricardo86 View Post
    This past summer i learned that replacing the rubber seals in the slide pins is best when working on the front brakes. I learnt this the hard way when my right caliper was no longer sliding correctly and caused my right pads to wear unevenly and i had to replace them prematurely. The old seals were swollen and no longer sliding properly. I panicked and thought I was going to have to replace the entire caliper.

Sometimes it costs more to be cheap and not pay attention to these little details. Fortunately i was able to salvage my rotors before they became scored and ruined. Now my brakes are wearing evenly and work great again.

Name:  PXL_20210917_050617062.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  93.1 KB

The pins of the calipers are worth some attention. If the rubber parts on the sliding caliper pin had contact with regular mineral oil based lithium grease, they will likely have become swollen, and cause the caliper not to slide properly any more. Then the pads will drag and wear one-sided, and the pins with the little rubber part must be replaced. Maybe the pads and rotors too. What an unnecessary PITA!

The solution is to replace the pins if faulty. Then thoroughly clean out the pin recess-holes and the pins themselves, then apply a minute portion of silicone grease. Now they will slide properly and not cause further problems.
    Remember, no regular grease on these pins! Only silicone grease! See the FSM for details.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

jtr990 (11-06-2021),mohammad (11-11-2021)

3rd time's a charm.
    Last edited by Fummins; 10-19-2021 at 09:57 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    3rd time's a charm.
    ???

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

I had to re read everything. Again. I retract my last post.
    I'll try one more time...

I wrote 3rd time's a charm because there's a chance that the wrong grease was used in the pics above so they may have to redo their brake job for a third time.
    Silicone grease isn't normally red. Multipurpose grease is though. Either or, doesn't matter. Not my car, grease is over rated.

Last edited by Fummins; 10-19-2021 at 10:01 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)