Thread: Oil changes and Warranty

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Oil changes and Warranty

I have a brand new 2021 mirage it just hit 5000 miles and I want to do the oil changes myself. I have the receipt for the oil and filter.

The lifetime power train warranty states the oil change must be done 1000 miles. I'm keeping hand written records in a binder of what maintenance I do to the car and the date/mileage. Sure this is sufficient to prove (keeping receipts) that the oil changes are being done.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Redoubt View Post
    I have a brand new 2021 mirage it just hit 5000 miles and I want to do the oil changes myself. I have the receipt for the oil and filter.

The lifetime power train warranty states the oil change must be done 1000 miles. I'm keeping hand written records in a binder of what maintenance I do to the car and the date/mileage. Sure this is sufficient to prove (keeping receipts) that the oil changes are being done.
    It sounds like you have a good system to me.

If you take good care of your Mirage, I highly doubt any power train warranty claim related to engine oil will ever be made before the 10-year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty period is over.

I change my oil/filter every 5,000 miles, but I am not so concerned about the warranty period. I just want my Mirage to last 200,000-300,000 miles without having any type of major engine failure.

I haven't been keeping receipts and doing detailed records like you, but it's the smart thing to do!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Redoubt View Post
    The lifetime power train warranty states...
    If you have a "lifetime" powertrain warranty, a third-party company is handling it. Be sure to read and understand the requirements of that warranty contract if you ever hope to use it.

My 2015 Mirage came with a lifetime powertrain warranty. The warranty specifically did not allow the owner to do maintenance. Oil changes had to be done by a "professional facility" who had to call an 800 number and report the car's mileage each time. What could possibly go wrong with that?!?

I threw my lifetime warranty contract in the trash because I wasn't taking the car somewhere for oil changes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    If you have a "lifetime" powertrain warranty, a third-party company is handling it. Be sure to read and understand the requirements of that warranty contract if you ever hope to use it.

My 2015 Mirage came with a lifetime powertrain warranty. The warranty specifically did not allow the owner to do maintenance. Oil changes had to be done by a "professional facility" who had to call an 800 number and report the car's mileage each time. What could possibly go wrong with that?!?

I threw my lifetime warranty contract in the trash because I wasn't taking the car somewhere for oil changes.
    My 2017 Mirage came with a lifetime/unlimited mileage powertrain warranty, too! It means nothing to me. If I thought it raised the price of the car, I would have told them to shove it. Since I paid under 66% window sticker for a new Mirage, I didn't even question it.

My purchasing dealership is 4 hour away. I am not doing 8 hour round trips for oil changes even if they were free! They never stated I had to do that, but I never asked either. I'm sure my lifetime warranty has been voided in some way, & I am not losing any sleep over it.

I do think it's smart to keep records during the factory warranty time periods, but I am not overly concerned about those either. I just take good care of my car, because I want it to last & serve me well.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Let's face it...most Mirage owners will never need to use a lifetime warranty. If you maintain it, it's gonna last.

Maybe if you are the original owner of a CVT Mirage and you plan to own it for 250,000+ miles...then you might get a chance to find out if your lifetime warranty is any good (think I just triggered Dirk with that comment ).

A friend of mine with a late-mode Nissan Sentra did get a new $5K CVT from a "lifetime" third-party warranty company (after they put him through the ringer for fluid maintenance receipts). For some reason they canceled his warranty right after that happened.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, I think my "lifetime powertrain/warranty" was done after 5 or 6 years? lol I don't remember. I told myself, since this was my first 1st car under me, I'd bring it to the dealer every 7,000 miles.

That. Did. Not. Happen.

My 2015 has 90,000 miles on it. I've changed the oil every 5,500 miles. Next oil change, I'm replacing the trans fluid and the spark plugs. It has not skipped a beat since it had 50 miles on it

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2of9 For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (10-23-2021),inuvik (10-23-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    My 2015 ES, purchased new, now has 185,000 in-town miles on it. Oil changes every 7500 miles...just like the book says. If I look into the valve cover through the oil filler cap I can see the engine is as clean as a whistle. I'd have to say it is nearly as quiet as it was when it was new...which is 'not very'.

Just change your oil when the car's MID tells you to and you will be fine. These engines really have no major faults, especially if you do not reside in the Great White North. As for that 'lifetime warranty'? Focus on maintaining the transmission instead.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (10-23-2021)