Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Review: High Altitude Made the Mitsubishi Mirage Nearly Undrivable

If you check the comments section of nearly any Mitsubishi Mirage review, you’ll likely find a cohort of similar-minded Mirage boosters that insist the car is just fine the way it is. They’ll probably say something like, “It’s a great cheap car!” Any positives somebody might find, however, are negated by the fact that you can get better cars for similar prices.

Happy to see a number of Mirage owners showed up & left comments under this guy's review.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Honestly sounded like the reviewer didn't know how to drive a lower-horsepower car up a hill.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

Happy to see a number of Mirage owners showed up & left comments under this guy's review.
    If you have only driven mostly higher horsepower vehicles most of your life, the Mirage is going to see underpowered to you.

I drove a 63 hp Ford Festiva for 14 years, & I never felt it was underpowered. I feel the same way about the Mirage. I think driving a manual may help in that area?

If I lived in an area where I had to merge uphill into high speed traffic areas all the time, I may want to own something more substantial than a Mirage. Under those conditions, I may appreciate the 130 ponies of the Honda Fit.

Given the current market (lack of discounts/rebates), the Mirage may not compete all that well with an Accent. Some may be happier with an Accent. I personally wouldn't buy a KIA/Hyundai product these days, but that doesn't mean others wouldn't be happy with one.

The reviewer got to drive a Hyundai Accent & than he drove the Mitsubishi Mirage. I would be disappointed that the check engine light came on and the Accent had to be returned early. In that respect, I would be concerned about that!

Mitsubishi deserves some bashing, because the Mirage should be the lowest price car in America by a good margin. When the 128-130 hp Honda Fit was still be sold last year, the LX CVT was only $1501 more MSRP than a Mirage ES CVT MSRP. Personally, I think that is nuts! Now we all know the Mirage was highly discounted in the past, but those reviewing cars don't take note of that usually.

If Mirage were listed at $11,000-14,000 MSRP (depending on the transmission/trim level), this discussion is not happening. That's why the Nissan Micra wasn't bashed in Canada. Those who were reviewing it recognized it was an entry level economy car by just the pricing of it alone. They were willing to overlook features it didn't have.

If I am in the market for a basic economy car, dumping lots of features into it doesn't make it more appealing to me. Outside of cruise control, some added features to the base level have made the Mirage less appealing to me in recent years. I would much rather own a 2019 ES manual over a 2020 ES manual, because of the added feature in 2020!

If $16,000-17,000 would buy you a brand new Hyundai Accent or a brand new Mitsubishi Mirage, the Mirage wouldn't look all that good to me (& I really like my Mirage). Given the current market, I wouldn't buy a new Mirage. Then again given today's market, I wouldn't buy any new vehicle these days.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (10-28-2021),Fummins (10-26-2021)

Someone used to fillet mignon would look down at someone eating hotdogs. They both fill the hole. Some people prefer the taste of hotdogs and just put up with them to save money. And other are stuck with them cause that's all they can afford.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (10-28-2021),Mark (10-26-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Someone used to fillet mignon would look down at someone eating hotdogs. They both fill the hole. Some people prefer the taste of hotdogs and just put up with them to save money. And other are stuck with them cause that's all they can afford.
    They say if you saw how hot dogs were made you would never put one in your mouth. I've appreciated knowing that over the years, because I avoid hot dog factories at all cost so I can still enjoy them!

My Dad's first job was at a local pickle factory. He watched older guys spit their tobacco chew in the relish vats. He's 81 years old now, and he still hasn't used relish to this day!

Chicken lips and pig asholes? Or is it the other way around?
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Strangely enough that same author actually seemed to understand why people bought these things earlier this year. https://www.carbibles.com/the-case-f...ubishi-mirage/

The Mirage is well-packaged – despite being a tiny car, the rear legroom and trunk space aren’t so bad. The skinny tires don’t do much for freeway road holding, but they also have the benefit of being dirt cheap to replace when they wear out or puncture. The car is very slow, but also has the best fuel economy of any vehicle that isn’t a hybrid. The warranty is attractive, 10 years and 100,000 miles for powertrain, but also a five year, 60,000-mile bumper-to-bumper warranty – unheard of by most other manufacturers, save for maybe Hyundai and Kia. Mitsubishi dealers are known for handing out easy credit, too.

In my head, I did the math. With a bit of money down, the payment plan on that Mirage sedan could be microscopic – less than some people’s phone bills. The car would only need routine maintenance, gas, and oil changes. Any big problems would likely be solved by the warranty if they ever occurred.

For someone on a budget, who doesn’t want the uncertainty that comes with a used car of similar cost, the Mirage makes sense. I just wish it was a better car to drive, because then I’d have more fun defending it. And I might even have one in my driveway.
    Mirage videos:

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    A common question asked when someone considers purchasing a small car (or a used car) here in the Philippines is "Can it go up to Baguio?"

Short answer: Yes. It did just fine, too.

Baguio City is about the same elevation as Denver. The Mirage is probably even more common there than it is down here in Manila!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts
    When one mentions, "Mitsubishi deserves a bashing..." I want to clarify something. First, I'm not bashing that statement. I think I agree with it. However, there is Mitsubishi Motors Corporation, and then there's Mitsubishi America (whatever they're called). And I'm sure there's other Mitsubishi divisions...

In the grand scheme of things, mama Mitsubishi is responsible. However, Mitsubishi America is going to be a bunch of (American) suits that have their minions sitting around in think tanks all day long to devise ways of removing every penny they can from the American public (buyers). OK, it's not exactly like that, but that's how I think of it, and it is somewhat like that. At least in their intentions of what they want to do (extract your money).

By that I mean this. If every competitor vehicle to the Mirage was discontinued, and the next closest similar thing to a Mirage was a $40,000 MSRP car, you can bet your ass the minions are going to be instructed to figure out how they can sell a Mirage for $39,999. Will they get away with it? They won't get that far. But they will push the selling price higher. So even if a typical Mirage can be built and cover all necessary profit margins at a selling price of $10,000, the American Sales pricks are going to push the selling price as far past that as they can get away with, so the suits can pat each other on the back and talk amongst themselves about how smart they are, give each other gold stars, smoke their cigars and take their big fat bonuses. Is a $39,999 Mirage worth it for the buyer? Not really, but I guess it depends on what their options are. And that may sound bad to some, but it is a part of capitalism. The balance on things like this being given the freedom of choice, to choose how one spends their money. In this instance a $39,999 Mirage would not happen, I exaggerate for emphasis and understanding. But an absolute base Mirage for $19,999 could be feasible if the next most similar vehicle is $40k, even if that Mirage costs Mitsubishi the same amount of money to build that it did from 10 years back.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

I didn't realize that an Accent was so close in price to a Mirage in the US. You guys pay more for a base model too than we do in Canada. I mentioned that in the comment section(find my hilariously offensive screen name). I guess in the US the Mirage is overpriced compared to other cars out there. Up here the Spark is pretty much the closest competition as far as base models go(I might be wrong on this). But we don't get the Hyundai accent up here since last year. But you can buy a new Rio in Canada for the same as a base Mirage in the US if comparing at the other day's exchange rate.

Then you can option out a loaded Mirage up here with a 20k msrp. For that money I'd definately spend a little more and buy something that will drive, and handle better, be quieter but the trade off would be more expensive to maintain(tires, oil changes, windshields) and won't maneuver as easily as the Mirage. Oh, and a much shorter warranty. Up here MItsubishi is the only mfg that offers a 10 year 160k warranty, hyundai and kia only offer 5 year 100k km. Off topic but I noticed the Maverick only offers a 5 year warranty and I didn't see any extended coverage for hybrid components or battery like most mfgs seem to include.

Last edited by Fummins; 10-28-2021 at 01:24 PM.
    Mirage videos: